Swine flu - is it safe to go to Mexico?
  • Hi - Obviously there is lots of news about Swine Flu - but can anyone tell me what it is like on the ground in Mexico - my guess, like all these things, is that its not too risky - there are afterall over 100 million people in Mexico and only 100 have died. Anyone there now, or just returned who can advise? J
  • well, i am from Mexico and now live in Scotland. I plan to go to Mexico next week to see family and friends - I have been talking to people there and they all say its not too bad - you just need to careful, wash hands, avoid very crowded places and see a doctor if you feel like you have flu. The main problem is in Mexico city, which is still fairly low risk in reality, Cancun etc is miles from Mexico city and has not had any cases of Swine Flu as far as I know. I suggest you go and enjoy yourself! I see that the UK Foreign office now advises against all non essential travel to Mexico - but they have to be ultra cautious...
  • I am not sure going there is a good idea. I have a small daycare and one of the children (and parent) are going at the end of May. I am so concerned about the child coming back to the daycare. I just donot understand why someone would take the risk with their child, and put others at risk. Am i being to concerned??
  • no, you're not too concerned! my husband has to travel there for business next week and i am nervous!!
  • My family and I are going to mexico for the summer. My dad says it's ok
    there and the swine flu isn't bad. Is it ok to go you think?
  • My fiance and I were first concerned because we are getting married in June and going on our honeymoon in Cancun ... it was already booked and everything and we wanted to wait before we cancelled it because it was a good deal, but we decided to keep our reservations there. I am not sure but from what I am hearing I think it will be alright. DOes anybody else have any suggestions on wether it is a good/bad idea?
  • Hi there,

I'm from Glasgow and just arrived back from Mexico, Cancun to be precise. This was one of the best holidays I have ever been on and there is nothing to worry about in the resorts. There are doctors on standby and you will receive their contact details when you arrive as a precaution. You are advised to wash your hands as often as possible during the day and if you have any flu symptoms, to give the English speaking doctors a phone call. Nothing has been found in Cancun which reassured me, and occasionally you see some people with the small white mouth masks over their mouth. You can buy these too, but as I said, nothing has been found in Cancun and I felt really safe here as there are loads of advice and guidance available.

I hope this has cleared up any risks people are worrying about.
  • I am in Cancun at the moment, and there is absolutely NO PROBLEM here. The only people I have seen wearing masks are some guards on the Cozumel ferry who were checking people's temperature (with a really cool laser-thingy) - but IT'S ONLY PRECAUTIONARY! There has not been a SINGLE case in Cancun.

Cancun is really paradise on Earth - but the negative publicity surrounding the (over-hyped, in my opinion) flu "epidemic" has had a really bad effect on the number of tourists coming to Cancun - locals tell me that tourism is down by 90%, which is causing major hardship for most of the people here as they rely so much on tourism for their income.

To give you some perspective, even in Mexico City, statistically you have more chance of winning the Mexican Lottery than contracting flu!! Adn even if you do, IT'S EASILY TREATABLE!

And ironically, evidence now suggests that this strain of the flu bug originated from a factory pig farm in Texas. But have people stopped travelling to the US? NO! Because that would be JUST AS RIDICULOUS as not coming to Mexico!
  • Can someone please give me any upto date information of what mexico cancun is saying. i have got a holiday booked there and the cancellation fee is a joke. Any news would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Rajesh
  • I agree with JT - if you think that you shouldnt travel to Mexico, then the same should be said for the US etc - look at the CDC website that shows the latest numbers on H1N1 flu cases and the US has over 11000 and rapidly increasing. So you have just as much chance catching this strain of flu in NY or Texas. My husband and I just booked tickets last night to Cancun for end of July because we couldnt pass up such a great deal and to be honest -im glad we can help out the economy there a little since theyre hurting with this negative publicity - and when thinking about this - they're really only hurting because of how open they have been with this all, and being responsible by telling the rest of the world what is going on.

Im looking forward to the vacation!!! much needed! im hoping to learn some spanish in the next month to better communicate with everyone, although im sure that will be harder than im thinking. im from Quebec initially, just move here a few years ago, so hoping my french will help!
  • Hi..Our trip ia all booked to cabo san lucas in july , but I am worried about swine flu, is it safe to travel there?
  • i wanna go to mexico its by ensanda (however u spell it) alot of our friends are goin on a fishing trip, like we do every year and we are trying to decide if we should go or not
  • I want to know if it is safe with not only the swine flu but the drug cartel to travel to Puerto Vallarta????
  • hey ppl im going to Riviera Maya - Mexico next week...im just a bit concerned about the swine flu and all the information that has just come around. it seems that is everything is closed...does anyone know more how is things around there? i looking to spend really nice holidays there and not to spend the whole week at the hotel.
  • hi i will be traveling to cozumel mexico in a week is it safe
  • I am leaving to Riveria Maya in August and really I am at all that worried. certain comments here also just confirm,ed to me that there is nothing to worry about. i cant wait to go. YOUPI! I am from Quebec and 2 people have died here so i could have gotten it from them. Enjoy your vacation, i know i will.
  • I don't think there is anything to be TOO worried about. As long as you're careful and safe - as you should always be, when traveling in such a country. I think I would be a bit nervous about taking a toddler with me though!! They are much more susceptible to flu.

I'm off to Mexico (and Guatemala) next month. I don't see there is much risk. There is much more chance of catching something like malaria or typhoid!! The main thing to remember is that the percentage of deaths from the flu are minimum.
  • I live in the UK and have just booked an 11 night holiday to Playacar in Mexico as i thought that these resort areas are relatively safe and away from the violence and the Swine flu is well under control....however some of the info on other forums and news pages seem to be very conflicting !!!! Ths is my first time to mexico and i am looking forward to the experience !! has anyone been recently or due to go ? am i just being paranoid ? Surely its no worse than visiting any other foreign countries where there are political disputes etc ? and as for swine flu i think i have a bigger chance of contracting that from a night out in Birmingham !!!!!
  • The World Health Organization has stated that they do not advise people to stop traveling because of the swine flu.

Unfortunately, the word "pandemic" has caused fear to the point of hysteria. It simply means a an outbreak in several countries of the world. Nothing more... I have just sent my step-daughter, son-in-law and six year old grandson to Mexico last Saturday, which I would never, ever have done if there was any concern.

Everyone should take these everyday steps to protect your health and lessen the spread of this new virus:

* Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
    * Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective.
    * Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread this way.
    * Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
    * If you are sick with a flu-like illness, stay home for 7 days after your symptoms begin or until you have been symptom-free for 24 hours, whichever is longer. This is to keep from infecting others and spreading the virus further. It is important to wash hands often, especially if you are shaking hands, or touching hand rails, doorknobs and the like.

The other advice I would give you is too not drink the water, use no ice, drink only bottled beverages, only eat cooked food, forget ice cream and dairy products, to avoid the "touristas" or "Montezuma's Revenge." That experience could really put a damper on your trip.

As far as crime goes, the areas where there are significant problems in Mexico are in: Mexico City, Tijuana, Ciudad Ju
  • Well, its great hearing all these comments and info, I guess am taking my husband to mexico for his birthday next week! I was a little worried myself I could'int decide if to book the trip or not, now my only concern would be which is a good reputible resort in CANCUN there are so many to choose from, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME FEED BACK OR ANY IDEAS ON ANY RESORTS.
    THANKS,
    Jean
  • Jean - start a new post on this please - this comment is located under swine flu. I will delete in 24hrs.
  • Can anyone help? Because of the swine flu, is it safe to travel to Playacar in Mexico? We were hoping to travel mid September.
  • Yes, it is safe and recommended to travel to Mexico again. Swine flu is the single most overrated health scare in the history of the human race.
  • Hola, Just got back from a week in Mexico..Cancun,Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. They have no reported swine flu cases in Cozumel and little or none on the main land. It is safer than going to any U.S. large city. Go to Mexico they need us despartly because all the bad publicity is ruining the tourism there!!!
  • i hope everything is okay now in mexico we are going with our baby in January he will be 10 months then and would not want to get him the vaccine because he is too young.... I am just praying that it will be over
  • Regarding H1N1 does any one have any sense as to how healthy it is in Puerto Vallarta area? Jalisco. I've trawled all the firgures but don't really feel any the wiser and would love to know from someone who has been there recently or knows it well. We have booked a winter holiday over a year ago - but I have 2 kids and am concerned. If you do get sick, is the hospital OK?
    We aim to get vaccinated beforehand, ofcourse, but we're not priority and there are some supply problems here in Canda.
  • Hi,I'm so happy to read your comments,we just booked a vacation at Maya Riviera and we have a one year old and a 8 year old child. I was concern as a mom,but I'm very glad to see your opininions.Thank you to all of you.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged