Baltic countries and Poland 67 senior lady travelling alone
  • I'm taking trip to the Baltic countries and Poland next September. I'm an experienced senior woman traveler who goes solo most of the time. I usually rent a car. I've driven through Germany, Austria, Czech republic, Slovakia, Croatia, Slovenia, the Netherlands, Belgium, etc. I've never had a problem in traveling solo, driving, or being an older woman (67).
    This time, though, I'm thinking of traveling by train and bus, as I've heard it's really tough to drive in Poland. I've also read bad things concerning safety about the Baltic capitals. Could anyone give me a very realistic picture on this subject? Should I go by myself? I'm mostly a day tourist. I usually don't go out at night, except for photographing the touristic attractions, old town, etc.
    Thank you very much for your feedback!
  • Hello Lucia, I am pleased to learn that you will be travelling to Poland in September. It is true that some of the roads in Poland are a little rough, however, it would depend on where you were thinking of going. The cities can be tough to negotiate but the country roads are not that bad.
    In respect of your safety I would take the same precautions you would in any country, the Polish generally are a very friendly and helpful nation. As with anywhere there are exceptions but no more so in Poland than anywhere else. The people in the countryside are particularly helpful and would go out of their way to help you. Learn a few basic phrases such as hello, please and thank you and they will be really impressed.
    We have organised travel for several single women in the past and only once made special arrangements. This was for an older lady traveller from Australia who was travelling late at night on the train deep into the north of the country. We arranged for the conductor on the train to keep an eye on her, not as much for her safety as to make sure she got off at the right station!
    I would not worry about going out by yourself, as long as you take the usual precautions, keep away from dark streets, keep your possessions close, etc. Taxis are plentiful, cheap and generally the drivers speak basic English.
    If I can be of any further help don't hesitate to contact me:
    info@polandyourway.co.uk
    www.polandyourway.co.uk
    Have a safe trip
    Best regards
    Maxine
  • Thanks for your detailed info, Maxine, I'll keep that in mind. I'll also check your website.
  • Dear Lucia, I am from Slovakia. And last week we went for a trip to Krakow and Auschwitz (concentration camp) in Poland. I can confirm that the roads were ok, just strange for us was that in the middle of speedway are traffic lights. So be aware that this can happen:) I really recommend both place to visit, Krakow is beautiful city and Auschwitz - hmm, must to visit to see what terrible had happened. We have stayed in hotel Home (www.perfecthotels.pl) in Krakow - loved it. It is in the city center, clean and very nice staff.  If you plan to visit Slovakia - I recommend to definately visit middle of Slovakia. Here are beautiful mountains High Tatras, then do some sightseeing of Spissky Hrad (massive ruins of a castle) and Oravsky Hrad (it is on a way from Poland). Also Slovak folk is beautiful, you can see it in Pribilna natural museum. I believe you will enjoy it:) If I can recommend hotel in Slovakia - Hotel Liptovsky Dvor (www.liptovskydvor.com) - beautiful chalets with atmosphere, GREAT staff, tasty meal and they will give you some special rate if you come in september, as they did to me last year:)
  • Krakow is very nice place, You don't need to wory about transport problems, You can hire a car, roads are good and You can find way without problems. You can also hire a private bus for example if You want to go to auschwitz, here is something that I recomend - visitbus.com/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion