Is Scandinavia any cheaper now?
  • I've always wanted to spend some time in the Scandinavian countries but with my South African Rands its always been too expensive. I have a month vacation due and was hoping with the economic crisis things be a bit cheaper up north. Is this a good time to visit Iceland and Sweden in particular? Are there are any bargains to look out for? Thanks!
  • Hi,

Although Scandinavia is slightly cheaper now that it has been it will still be very expensive on Rands. Sweden has not been as affected by the "credit crunch" as some other countries and while Iceland has been hit quite badly the average price of a beer is still in the region of 3 pounds which is about R50, not exactly cheap.

John
  • Hi friends,

All my life I have been working and working and working. After being told by my doctor that I need to do surgery to remove some growth. Reality check have triggered me and since my school days, I had always dream of travelling to all the countries in Europe. And Scandinavia is my first choice. I really need more information on how to maximise my trip for 1-4 month's vacation sometime middle of next year that is after my operations in December 2008.

JN
  • Hi JN,

Right on, that's a great idea to cut loose and have an experience you always wanted. I have learned that where you go is less important that the attitude you take with you. With your mind set you will have a ball wherever you end up.

Let's hope our Scandinavia expert can help you with a plan of action! Check back in due course!
  • THe Swedes are the lovliest people you will ever meet and themost organizaed,too. Have been many times and stayed with relatives, Rotary friends and in hotels. E-mail me at NGrandquis@aol.com for more info
  • Scandinavia and Iceland will always be expensive because of the high standards of living they're accustomed too. Finland is the most expensive with Norway close on its heels. Reykjavik is one of the most expensive cities in the world, with Oslo as a close second. Most Scandinavians have an addiction to fashion and beer prices are heavily taxed. Don't let this derail you, Scandinavians are fun loving, talented people. Nordics are always organized and to be caught wearing the wrong thing in the wrong weather is against the rules. Nordics love their past but want the best of the future - NOW! So enjoy your stays!

Johannes
  • Im a South African and on Holiday in Norway.I kid you not.I came here at the wrong time.Scandanavian countries are flippen expensive.My advice to you is to go to Iceland.The rand ther will have more value.Sala kakuhle!
  • If you are going to explore scandinaiva Sweden is the best choice. It is cheapest(but expensive in alcoholic)country in scandinavia. And it has all nature vaiaties, like Denmark in the south flat farmerland, Finland in the middle with big forrests and Norway in the west coast with the deep and long coast line and in the northwest with its high mountains and far up in the norht you have the polar circle with midnightsun (summer)and northern light (winther) like Iceland.
    Scandinavian people are helpful and friendly and are very well oragnized.
  • Im from the northern part of Sweden and i can only recomend a visit to Sweden. Most of the tourist only stays in the southern parts and in the big cities. But Sweden is more than that.
    If your interest is partying and shopping the big cities like Stockholm or Ghotenburg is recomended. If you are interested in the nature and if you would like to relax you should visit the northern part. All people fell free to email me on johan.svedberg@live.se if you have any questions.
  • Sweden is VERY VERY EXPENSIVE, as an expat living here for the last year. I don't know what fantasy land others live in but the cost of things here are 20, 30, 40, 50% higher at least, Taxes both sales and personal are outrageous (all to pay for the social welfare system, which has it's major problems depite the propaganda) Swedish people in general are actually quite cold and rude (push past you, knock you down walking down the street) some people mistake being able to speak fluent english for helpfulness. The Norwegians, Finns, Danes and Dutch (especially) are far more friendly. Things are fairly efficent but then it's also not a big country and has been industrialised for centuries so it's hardly surprising but the country does live on it's faded glory. Also don't be taken in by the great myth of a land of beautiful people or blond viking gods and godesses that's just plain wrong. It is worth a visit but a week or so should do it. If you are in northern Europe you should also think about Latvia (Riga) and Estonia (Tallin) in your plan as both are in the EU these days and easily accessible from Finland or Sweden by Ryanait, AIr Baltic or other airlines or often even cheaper via Tallink, Stilja or Viking Line ferries which are worth looking into for cost and experience.
  • sorry should say Ryanair not ryanait
  • I live in england and have always wanted to go to Iceland and am wondering if it is any cheaper there now. I would be staying in a budget hotel and probably self catering or eating at cheap restaurants if they exist!
    I'm not sure if I could even buy kronas in england. How would I go about getting them?
    Thanks for any advice you can give
    Poppy
  • sweden is a lot more expensive than helsinki. talinn is a really good deal, and only an hour's ferry ride from helsinki.

from my research (going to iceland - that is how i came across this site), reykjavik is a lot cheaper now (w/ the devalued currency) than sweden et al.
  • Poppy, check out www.icelandprotravel.co.uk
  • Hi mate...

Yeah, being a Norwegian I can definately agree that we are expensive countries, yet worth a visit because you won't find anything like the Scandinavian light, atmosphere and freshness anywhere in the world. If you manage to make your way up here all countries are worth a visit (Denmark, Norway and Sweden) and also Finland & Iceland (even the latters are Nordic countries, not Scandinavian... guys you should learn this..!). Iceland will definately be your cheapest option at the moment, they have been significantly hit by the crisis and Icelandair offer cheap as chips flights from Europe to Reykjavik. Then you can fly on with the same airline to Norway, to explore the coast. I live in Bergen and I can tell you that the fjords are amazing, if you have the gods on your side and (aka sunshine) I can guarantee that you will have an unforgettable experience!! The fjords are stunning! If you only have a few days stay in Bergen and do a day trip to the Fl
  • Thanks Pal - awesome advice!
  • I'd recommend to everyone to check out Couchsurfing.com, wherever you're going. You can make a profile and then search for people who will let you sleep on their "couch" (or extra mattress) for free. It's a much cheaper way to travel, and a great way to meet locals.
  • Finland is the most expensive with Norway close on its heels ??

you got to be kidding ?

Sweden is much much more expensive then Finland. Cost in Finland is almost the same like other EU countries.

Norway, Sweden and Denmark famous for being expensive because of high cost of living, high taxes and excellence society welfare system.
  • I just got back from a visit to Stockholm and Helsinki. I can only speak for those two cities, but I definitely found Helsinki to be FAR more expensive. Stockholm has a lot more small, ethnic restaurants where you can find cheap food whereas in Helsinki it seems like you need to shell out a fortune wherever you want to eat - the prices there are on par with Paris.

However, cost aside, Helsinki is worth a visit. Finland is a fascinating place, and especially so if you're an armchair linguist (as I am) since the Finnish language is unique and wonderful. Helsinki is full of different subcultures, some of which are bizarre in appearance, but most people are very friendly and almost everyone under 40 speaks English. If you're there for a few days, take a ferry to Tallinn, Estonia, and spend a day there.

Also - Finnish music, both rock and dance, is AMAZING, whereas Swedish music kinda sucks (no offence).
  • @Pal...

Actually, Finland is on the Scandinavian peninsula and, geographically speaking, it is more a part of Scandinavia than Denmark, which is on the Jutland peninsula.

Even culturally, there is not too much of a difference between Nordic and Scandinavian countries. The differences you would find in culture between Nordic and Scandinavian would also exist between Scandinavian countries as well (for the most part).
  • Beer in Norway is far more expensive than in Finland.

Not sure about other pricing.
  • Hi, my friends and I (3 people total) just booked a 10-day Scandinavia & Russia Princess cruise. We also booked our own air tickets between Seattle and Copenhagen yesterday. We would like to see more of the Scandinavia so I've been searching the web for what to see since yesterday. Our cruise itinerary is as following: Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn, Gdansk, Oslo, Copenhagen, leaving Copenhagen on June 5 at 8PM and returning Copenhagen on June 15 at 6PM.
    Our flight arrives at Copenhagen on May 31 at 1:15PM and leaves Copenhagen on 6/19 at 3:50PM. I.e., we have free time from 5/31 PM to 6/5 PM and 6/15 AM to 6/19 noon for more touring. We can take two 4-days trips.

From my reading from the web, I know we want to take a Norway trip to see the fjords and take the flam train ride. What's the cheapest way to go see the GEIRANGERFJORD and SOGNEFJORD (or at least one of them if time does not permit), and take the flam train ride?

Do you have suggestion for our other trip(s)?

BTW, for these two trips should we buy a Eurial Select Pass, a Scanrail Pass for 8 days in 2 month, or ??? rial pass? Does the Scanrail Pass good for the NSB trains?

If you can give us some cheap and clean hotel links, that will be great also.

Thank you very much.

chachen
  • Great comments!
    I'm headed from Rochester, NY > Boston > Iceland for a few days > then to Helsinki for a few days, with either a ferry to Tallinn or Stockholm for the day > then back home.

Looking forward to the trip and was looking to get a good point on prices. Thanks for the comments above.
  • Norwergina

Sounds like you are a typical Swede or Norwegian, stuck in the past. Finland is now more expensive than Sweden as most comments from people (who have actually been to both countries recently) on here testify plus all recent official surveys result in the same conclusion. Also I like your comments about high standard of living etc.. about Sweden, Norway and Denmark. Again you're stuck in the past, per capita Finland is now as rich as Sweden and has an excellent welfare system and often comes higher than Sweden in international comparison studies. Note, the UK looks towards Denmark and Finland as examples of how to get a very low poverty rate as a % of the population, they also look to their world class school education system.
  • I can confirm that Finland sure is more expensive than Sweden at the moment, mainly because of the currency differences, Norway and Denmark topping the price ranking. Also good to notice that Finland is the only Nordic country using Euro.
  • Get a campervan in Germany and hit the road. In Scandi its not difficult to find stunning peaceful places, but cities are cities and after a while it becomes tiring staying in hotels. You must go to the Lofoten Islands, the west coast of Norway is spectacular. Also the Danish beaches and the archipelago off Stockholm. With a van you cut out the ridiculous cost of eating at restaurants the whole time and good local food is plentiful.
  • Planning a short visit to Stockholm in September to meet long lost relatives but will have some time to explore independently. What are main attractions in Stockholm for someone who has never visited before? What clothes should we pack? I gather it could be cool and/or rainy.
  • Chrissie - check out http://www.wordtravels.com/Cities/Sweden/Stockholm which has all the info you're asking about.
  • I am thinking of doing the Oslo 2010 Marathon. What is the city like at the end of September and will my family have lots to do during the day? I've got two boys of 12 and 14 and want them to have fun too!
    Phil
  • How have Norway Sweden and Denmark been affected so far by the Iceland volcano ash?

If prevailing winds shift to westerlies or s.westerlies, then what?
    Please advise & thanks.
  • We are planning a trip to Sweden August of 2011 & will be visiting friends but will spend 2 nights in Stockholm on our own- any ideas for reasonable hotels and best way to get around Stockholm? Also we plan to rent a car in Stockholm and maybe leave it in either Copenhagen, Malmo or Halmstad - any help with where to rent it? All advice appreciated.
  • Scandinavia is really expensive, especially Norway as I have heard. But I guess for any even the most expensive place you can find quite cheap opportunities to organize your travel if you're on a budget. The last one is usually my case therefore I normally stay in hostels. I have already visited Stockholm several times this way. My favorite place is Acco Hostel, they offer free coffee and tea and I can cook something light thus saving some money. They are one of the cheapest in Stockholm but always clean and neat and very safe with code locks on the doors. Also when you choose a location from where you can reach all main sights on foot. From Acco I reach Gamla Stan in 10 minutes and during all stay almost don't use public transport. As a result my budget for accommodation+food is usually about 200-300 euros for 3-4 days.
  • Oh yes! Norway and Finland are really expensive! Sweden is actually too, but as has been already mentioned hostel can help to save the money. As for Stockholm namely and accommodation discussed my favorite hostel is Lodge32. It is near the Cenral Station and from there I easily reach Town Hall and my favorite water bus. You can reach Gamla Stan and other sight also quite easily from there. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged