Travel Advice-California?
  • Hi, 
    We're small city folks and are planning a trip for the summer. Need to head out to Palo Alto California and will be staying in Oakland for 3-4 days, then go to Orange County California for 5 days. There; will be the 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 children. We will be renting a car in both cities but have only 1 driver that can continuously drive 1-2 hours at a time. My questions: 

1. From Oakland to Orange County, should we travel by airplane? amtrack? greyhound? Cost and time does a play a role since both are very limited. About how much will it cost and how long will it take? how safe is it? Are there any other modes of transportation? 

2. What attractions/museums should we take our kids to? 

3. Any other advice? 

Thanks!
  • I would highly recommend driving from Oakland to Orange County. It's a stunningly beautiful drive along the Pacific Coast Highway, and can be broken up by stops at interesting places like Hearst Castle and Santa Barbara.

Oakland itself isn't a major attraction, but is near enough to San Francisco that you can explore all the wonderful attractions there. I would recommend definitely visiting Muir Woods to see the giant redwoods, and having a meal in Chinatown.

Orange County is also located just outside of Los Angeles, so there's plenty to see and do there. You can't miss Disneyland!
  • Yeah Anya K, Oakland is offers a wealth of
    different kinds of destinations to travelers. The Oakland zoo is just the right size.
    It has African animals large and small, Asian animals, reptiles, bats, bugs,
    and a myriad of other creatures. The animals appear to be kept well in their
    natural surroundings with plenty of room. I used to visit the Oakland Zoo
    before long time with my entire family. I believe time is the most precious
    thing so make it memorable for whole life. This is a fascinating place to take
    the kids and spend the day with them as well as showing them the animals.
    However, if you live nearby or if you haven't visited this place it's worth
    visiting.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion