Living in Tunisia permanently
  • I am considering moving to Tunisia. Is this possible to stay there permanently? I am US citizen. I am single Muslim female. I am an older woman. I have a small monthly income that I would continue to have there. What problems might I have? Would I be able to buy house there or would I have to rent? Where do I ask permission to live there? Please, any information would be helpful. I wish to move in 2 years.
  • As an American you would be granted a  four month visa at the airport, initially you should rent  until you find a suitable property to buy. Foreigners can purchase property and I am sure the US Embassy see guide below can suggest a suitable lawyer or real estate agent

Within three months you must apply for  a Tunisian residence permit known as a Carte Sejour you will need to show an income of  approximately $650 per month / $8000 per annum which must be demonstrated by a letter from a Tunisian Bank. So you will need to open a Tunisian Bank account and deposit some funds

As evidence that you are living in Tunisia , you must also provide your rental contract. You would then receive a one year residence permit which is extended for longer after the first year. Retiring to Tunisia is quite a simple process as retired persons are most welcome.

You apply for your Carte Sejour at the police station nearest to your residence More information here http://www.cematmaghrib.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81&Itemid=130

Here is also a very helpful brochure from the US Embassy, it has tonnes of information. Good luck

• Thank you for this information!

May Allah bless your works

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion