lots of travel and Immigration confusion.
  • Hi there

Basically my passport expires in July 2015 and is in my Maiden and we have booked a 25 day holiday to Thailand in July also in my maiden name.- No problems!

Then we were asked to move to Malaysia for work. We thought 'oh great we can just tag it onto the end of our Thailand trip- we will lose money on the flight we were going to get on the way back from Thailand but will save money since it costs us only £100 to get from Thailand to KL rather than £1000 or more to fly from UK to KL. 

So heres where it gets tricky and where we have a lot of questions. lets say we will both be getting jobs in KL and therefor need to get Visa/ working permits/ dependency pass.

Firstly, how long does your passport need to be valid for to get a Visa? (if its 6 months then I'm fine, if its 18 months- I'm not and will probs have to change Thailand flights = lose money)

Does it matter Visa-wise if its in my maiden name and will I be able to change it in 6 months time without having to leave the country (when we are in Kuala Lumpur)?

Can we move to Kuala Lumpur straight after traveling in Thailand or do we need to go from our country of origin?

I think that is all of my questions currently. 

Hope someone can help us! 

Thank you so much for your time

Charlene

• I dont know what type of work you have been offered in Malaysia but you will need a work permit.which can take some time.

Work Visas 

Work permits in Malaysia are generally obtained by the employer. If you own a company and want to hire a foreigner, be prepared for a long process. Generally you must be over 23 years old for the IT Sector and 27 years old for all other sectors.

Employees and their families who come to Malaysia, who did not obtain a work permit before arrival, are allowed to enter the country with social passes and to apply for work permit after. Malaysia imposes strict penalties on illegal workers, it is highly recommended not to start work before the work permit is issued.
    The dependants of work permit holders must apply for work permits themselves, if they want to work in Malaysia.

Requirements for work permits

In order to obtain a work permit, the passport must have a remaining validity of at least 18 months. Work permits are usually issued for periods of between six months and five years.
    For employers, any information related to the process of visa requirements or required forms, is available on the official website of the Immigration Department of Malaysia.
    Depending on the type of work and skills, the individual steps in obtaining a work permit are published.
    • Employment Pass: This pass is issued to employees with specific skills, usually for technical work. The minimum period is usually 2 years.
    •Temporary Employment Pass: Issued for employment under 2 years or jobs with a monthly salary of less than RM 5000.
    • Professional Visit Pass: Issued to foreigners employed by the company in the country of origin, but bound by a Malaysian company to provide certain services for a period of up to six months.

You need to find out more about the jobs offered , how your employer will obtain your work permit and you need 18 months validity on your passport which you don't have

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion