USD to MAD - Morocco
  • Hello,
    I will be going to Essaouira, Morocco at the end of the month.  I have read 2 places on line (Frommer's and another place I can't remember) that when changing USD, bills printed AFTER the year 2000 will not be accepted.  
    Can anyone please tell me if this is accurate???
    I question it only b/c when I went to Bali 2 years ago there were MULTIPLE posts all over the internet informing travelers of which USD series (years) Bali would NOT exchange.
    However, for Morocco, I have only read it twice.
    Please help!
    Thank you!
  • The information is inaccurate and out of date. Dollar bills should be new and crisp with no ink or tears. US dollar bills should be relatively new (after 2003) as they are harder to counterfeit. Like wise when you are given  Moroccan Dhirams accept clean notes.
    You should never travel with lots of cash, Morocco has loads of ATMs so use your debit card  as credit cards incur more charges. Let your bank know where you are travelling too.

Essaouira is a historical coastal town which became the city of Astapor in HBO's Game of Thrones

• Thank you so much, Alethia. On the Frommer's site it was dated (at the bottom) as 2014, but that date could just be for the actual site itself as opposed to the actual article.

Thank you again!!! I will make sure to just try to make sure that all of my bills are bills that are printed AFTER 2003.

If anyone else has any input, I'd appreciate it. =)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion