Can you enter Canada from the US if you have a DUI?
  • I have heard one cannot enter Canada from the US if they have had a DUI. Is this true?
  • ive been arrested 10 times and still go into canada with no problems. of course i dont tell them i have been arrested. i have never been asked about my criminal past either. i have entered canada many times both by plane and car. on the other hand, if you were a canadian going to the u.s. with even one arrest, that could be a problem.
  • I have a minor criminal record for a few stupid indiscretions as a teenager (trespassing, p.o.m., disorderly conduct, evading arrest, etc.) - no felonies. My first and only time in Canada, flying into B.C., I was detained at the airport after being belittled by some dumbass customs agent who repeatedly kept asking me where I was going to buy my drugs (no, I don't have dreadlocks, nor do I smell like patchouli). I was held in a little room for about two hours where I was repeatedly questioned about stuff that is no longer on my record (deferred to judication), and should be irrelevant. The customs agent questioning me said they had pulled my FBI file, and they knew everything about me. Eventually, they reluctantly let me through, but all in all a pretty f'ed up experience. This isn't just being unlucky, either - same thing happened to my brother and several friends of mine for petty past screw-ups. Maybe this is exclusive to B.C., as I've never been to Quebec or elsewhere. Shortly after this, customs agents at the B.C. airport tazed some helpless guy to death. Cops are all the same, Canada or anywhere else - just pigs with an axe to grind.
  • dusto...are you serious...with a minor criminal record do they really have an FBI file on you? Is it even worth it to try to get into Canada?
  • Can you enter Canada if you are indicted and if you are out on bond and you have court date in 8 weeks, this is an family emrgency and have to go over a weekend.
  • This is mad funny. I have so many arrests, I can't even count them. I have been convicted of at least 2 felonies, numerous misdemeanors, and even had a warrant for my arrest during the 10 times I went into Canada. I was never once questioned about my criminal activities. I did not even have a job, return ticket, or hotel reservations. I will admit though, Canada is strict for a country that most Americans don't want to live in. They ask alot more questions than countries than are actually desirable to live in. It is hit or miss though. Sometimes, they don't even look at your ID. Other times, you are guilty until proven innocent, but each and every time I was allowed in and never once sent back.
  • It's amazing how proud Pedro and some of you seem to be about your past convictions. I wish Canada was stricter about letting in the obnoxious criminals - maybe that would prevent terrorists from entering into Montreal and Toronto as well. Although not excusable, I can understand misdemeanors as a kid being let go though.
    A friend of mine was once detained at the airport and prevented from entering into Canada because of a US DUI - thats' kinda silly considering he had a valid diver's license at the time and the incident had taken place years before. No problem driving in though.
  • I am Latvian Passport holder(citizen) and i do have permamnet green card in U.S..I want to spent my new years in Calgary(my boyfrind will be working there for 2 weeks )Please advice if i need Visa
    Thanks
  • tdot. why dont you get a reality check. canada would be nothing without america, or american tourists. theres a reason why they call you the 51st state. you know why you let americans in with criminal records? greed. you want their money and dont care if theyre criminals. so stop the charade. canada is already ridiculously strict as it is with their national security, especially for a country that 99% of americans would not live in if given a choice. i guarantee you if we opened the border, half of canada would be gone, and moving to usa, while the americans would not move. you mention terorists, but you need to check yourself first. you are the one going into afganistan and murdering innocent people. and by you, i mean the canadian military, so dont try to act like you are clean and innocent.
  • What the fuck? First of all, nothing you say holds any water (directed to "God Bless America") because you have an imaginary friend you call "God". Secondly, if any Canadian wanted to live in the states, do you really think the way things are now would stop them? Third, the reason why we're so lenient towards letting people in our country isn't because of greed, it's because we're a friendly country. A DUI is a stupid reason to keep someone out of a country in my opinion. If you enjoy driving drunk, you're going to end up killing yourself anyways, so go right the fuck ahead. Fourth, we all know that you're all assholes, your post just proved that. And what's this about us going into Afghanistan and killing innocent people? Last time I checked, it was your stupid country's idea to go there in the first place, not to mention the fact that your military is fucking retarded enough to start firing on friendlies. Living in the states has obviously destroyed your little mind, stop talking shit as if it was true, oh wait, it's just like a religious person to do that.
  • @ Pedro.

Stay homey then. Do us both a favour.
  • I have to say one thing, (DJ Whyte)-BRAVO!!! I'm a U.S. citizen and I have to agree with you 100% I don't know why people are so stupid to say such meaningless lies about Canada(your country) I Live in the U.S. and enjoy working on my car queit a bit... that being said I go to canada to race, get car parts, and engines all the time. I live just fourty five min away from border in the small stat called Vermont and I have had one DUI in my lifetime in 2001. I have no criminal record and have yet to get any guff from the border patroll. im gong up this coming wednsday and hope it doesn't start then.. I don't drink anymore and have grown up hope they dont hold this against me as i love to go to canada for parts, hockey games, gaming and such. I will hveyou know I support canada and also havemy thoughts about some of the stuff the U.S. does but I love the U.S. weather or not the people who run it have the small brains god bless over there has. hope you can see that not all U.S. citizens are dumb ass idoits! Thanks :)
  • You'd better reconsider if you have been convicted of DWI or DUI (Driving While Impaired or Driving Under the Influence) within the last ten years. Any type of impaired driving offence is considered the equivalent to the Canadian Criminal Code offence of impaired driving.
  • I have a small chriminal charge I got over 12 years ago and and a DUI
    I got about 5 years ago. I have tried to enter Canada three times in the last 4 years and have detained, handcuffed and verbally abused everytime. As of today I still have never been to Canada.
  • How do the Canadian border agents know if a US citizen has a conviction? Are they able to access US criminal records or do they just ask you? I have a misdemeanor conviction that is 4 years old--can they find this out in some way?
  • Okay, I really hope someone can help me, My boyfriend is a US citizen and we are planning on him coming here for a visit soon, entering by car and he has a theft charge from 14 years ago(shoplifting a pack of cigarettes when he was 18) and a DUI charge from 5 years ago he did get his licence back and has not had any other trouble, Would he be able to enter Canada by land??
  • I WAS DEPORTED FROM THE USA IN THE YEAR 1989 I LIVE IN EUROPE NOW IN HOLLAND AMSTERDAM I HAVE LEGAL TRAVELING EUROPIAN PAPERS I WILL LIKE TO KNOW IF I CAN TRAVEL TO CANADA TO VISIT MY DREAM IS TO GO TO NIAGARA FALL CAN I OR IT HAS TO DO ANYTHING WITH THE USA...
  • I was deported back from Canada yesterday April 18, 2010. I got a DUI in 2005 which was oly a misdemeanor, but apparantly that's consired a serious crime in Canada. I was going for a two week stay with my relatives who live in Montreal (where I was held at customs). I never thought for one second that a DUI in 05 would grant me a deportation in 2010! This is fucked up, I'm pissed off at the Canadian customs and their bullshit laws. Thanks a lot assholes for fucking up my trip!
  • Eddie - that is terrible for you, and does seem pretty unreasonable. Was that the only reason they gave?
  • my boyfriend wasn't allowed into Canada on 4/6/10 because of his past drugs conviction in 1997. They advised him to get help from a politician to try to remove this conviction from his record (uneasy), that's the only way he would be allowed into Canada. They asked him his social security and quickly informed him that he couldn't enter Canada, so yes they keep a FBI file on you for past conviction. I think that he wasn't arrested because he was accompanied by woman with not criminal records who drove us back to NY and they returned back to Canada without any problem.
  • I WAS DEPORTED TO MY COUNTRY IN 2002, I DO HAVE A FELONY CONVICTION.
    I WANT TO KNOW IF I WILL BE ALLOWED TO MOVE TO SPAIN IF I GET MARRIED, MY SPOUSE TO BE IS A RESIDENT OF SPAIN. WILLING APPLYING FOR FAMILY REGROUPING BY MY SPOUSE ALLOWING TO ENTER SPAIN.
  • Canada can & has denied entry to those with a DUI on their record. However, there are methods to be granted entry into Canada even with a DUI. You can have access to these methods by applying well before your trip (advised) or on the spot at border. Google "Canada DUI Temporary Resident Permit Approval of Rehabilitation" for more information.

Bear in mind that entry into any country is a privilege granted at the discretion of any Customs Officer, not a right. I am a US citizen with a well used passport having made well over 20 international trips to Europe, Asia, Canada & Mexico. I have a DUI that is over 10 yr old. I was .08 BAC, pulled at license check, no property/personal damage. In short, the least severe category. I have no other criminal record. The **only** issue I have ever had was in Kelowna, BC when I flew in to compete in Ironman Canada. The DUI was 8 yr old & I had a valid driver's license. I had a return ticket, pre-paid accomodations & proof I was there for Ironman Canada. Still, I was pulled into the back room, interrogated by Customs Agent/Officer, refused entry & put on return flight to Seattle. That same year I was denied entry into Canada, I had traveled to France & Italy without a problem.

I went to Canada (Niagra Falls) when DUI was 11 yr old & was admitted without question.

This is an utterly ridiculous reason for deeming one inadmissable. I did research & to the best of my knowledge it appears Canada currently is the only country in the world with this reason for being inadmissable. Most use the reasonable standard that the person not be a threat to national security/society which if they were, they would not be issued a passport from their home country.

Canada knows about DUI & any minor misdemeanor criminal conviction b/c they have access to your FBI arrest record which is sourced from the state in which you were arrested.

Of note, the UK will soon have access to these records as will other EU countries. Whether this results in people being denied admission for minor misdemeanors is anybody's guess.
  • I heard it's harder to get into Canada if your DUI is less than 5 years old? Is that true?
  • To all of you who are bragging that you enter Canada because of previous DUI or felony convictions. If you were half educated and not so arrogant, you would know that you are illegally entering Canada. The border customs agent does not have to ask you if you have a previous criminal conviction (yes, a DUI is a felony conviction in Canada). You must declare the conviction to the agent whether asked or not. If you do happen to not make such a declaration and then are "tripped up" or questioned after you cross, you will be charged for illegally entering the country, which is much more serious. You will be blacklisted and banned from entering canada again. This will had a far more serious effect on you as it could also prohibit you from entering other countries. BE HONEST, know your responsibilities. It is clearly stated in any travel document that YOU MUST DECLARE any prior arrests/convictions.
  • Striker is totally correct. In addition to his comments, the Canadian customs and immigration agents do not have direct access to FBI files, besides, the FBI does not maintain files of DUI convictions as those are not Federal charges, they are State, County and City jurisdictional. Canada police and federal agencies (customs, RCMP, etc/) use CPIC (Canadian Police Information Center) which is s database hosted by the RCMP. . CPIC is interfaced with the United States National Crime Information Center and National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System as well as Interpol and other international agencies. I would not recommend Wikipedia as a valid source or quotable reference for scientific research or such, but in this case, wiki does have a fairly good summary of what is contained in the CPIC databases (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Police_Information_Centre)
    If you attempt to enter Canada with a prior conviction such as a DUI, you are taking your chances. You may succeed in crossing, but if you are stopped for any reason in Canada you could face severe criminal charges of illegally entering the country. You may make it past the initial customs check, but if the agent tells you to pull your car over for inspection, and then you are re-questioned, you have already entered the country and now are have a more serious situation as you failed to make that declaration. Yes, you are asked if you have anything to declare: tobacco, alcohol, firearms. They do not have to go through the list of a couple of hundred items or conditions. If you say "NO" and have a DUI, then you have made a false declaration.
  • If you completed DUI programs then it will be taken off of your criminal record and will only be on your DMV record. I doubt Canada checks US DMV records unless they are alerted of a certain name?
  • People, people, people. Sugh ignorance! Do a little research!

Thanks to 9/11 and George Bush, the Canadian Border control has access to your criminal records. This occurred in 2003, and since then, thousands of Americans have been turned away at the border. The border agents have access to the same criminal records as your local cops do.

If you have even a misdemeanor, (and especially any indictable offense), you can be turned away at the border if the crime occurred within the last ten years. This includes simple theft charges, negligent driving, writing a bad check, drug charges and of course, DUI's. You can apply for various permits to enter the country between five and ten years after the offense...it costs about $200.

Now, keep in mind..the rules is supposed to be that if ten years have passed, you will be deemed "rehabilitated" but evidence shows people are still turned away when the offense has occured more than ten years ago. That is because it is up to the border agent whether or not he wants to let you in. I read the other day about a MIchigan woman who was turned away at the border because she was on welfare! You can also be turned away if you seem sick, unemployed, unable to support yourself, or if they think you are trying to sneak into their country.

Basically, it's an absolute mess. Unsuspecting Americans are planning trips to Canada without knowing the new rules and are suprised and embarrassed when they have to turn around and go home. I hear it's worse at the airports in Canada and not as bad at the borders.

This is effecting people on cruise ships (who aren't allowed to get off the ship when it docks in Canada on a cruise), rock stars, politicians, businessmen----all sorts of people. Here's my best advice:

If you have a criminal record in the US (and it doesn't have to be a felony...simple crimes count, too) call the Canadian embassy or the consulate and find out ahead of time if you will be allowed to cross the border. When you go, bring documentation of when the crime was committed and that you have paid all fines, etc. If the crime was committed within the last ten years, you'll have to apply for a special exemption which costs $200 and takes many months to complete.

If you have a DUI within the past five years, forget about going to Canada. If it was between five and ten years, then you can apply for special permit. If it was more than ten years ago, then you may be able to get across, but I'd bring documentation.

Goggle this subject...there are a lot of stories out there. If worse comes to worse, you can hire an immigration attorney to help you out. You can also google canadain border crossings........ www.bordercrossings.ca. She is an expert on getting you permits to cross.

Good Luck!
  • So I have done my research (alot of it!) and have found an inordinate amount of info regarding the laws, but less about the leniency (or otherwise) of border agents when traveling by air.

I am planning a trip to Canada in the near future, and have obtained many of the necessary docs (FBI cert, court docs, letters of ref, employment history, etc) to apply for rehabilitation. Still waiting on a couple state police certs, though, which makes me ver very nervous, although they can be looked up online.

My question is- should I declare to the borders agent that I have an old DUI (2001, sentence complete 2002) or simply let them ask the questions and carry on? I would have applied for rehabilitation through the consulate but it takes over 6 months, so there is no point. I would rather take the chance. Of course, if they ask me about criminal convictions, I will speak truthfully and hope they either A) grant me individual rehab by the docs I have, or B) give me a temp permit. I know its risky, but does anyone care to comment HOW risky it is? You'd think they'd be willing to listen, review the docs, and make the determination on the spot. And since I have nothing on my record since, the DUI occurred on a stupid day (21st bday! if you believe it!), and I have never done anything so silly again--- you'd think there'd be reason.

Any comments? Would be very much appreciated.
  • Looking for any help regarding this situation. I am a Canadian citizen who received a misdemeanor DUI, in the state of Kentucky. I payed my bond to be released, but I do not wish to head back to appear in court. If I don't go, and they issue a county warrant for my arrest, can this be flagged at US Customs, if I try to re-enter the US?
  • Take the train. DO NOT TAKE THE BUS, PLANE or DRIVE YOUR OWN VEHICLE. If you have a conviction or DUI they often run your plates and your crim convicts pop up. They usually check the driver's driver's license unless passenger people are acting wonkey. I have been told by attorneys that work near the border that the train is the safest way to get in. Next safest way is to rent a car or take a car that has no convictions attached (that is clean and not a weird art car or something or kidnapper van) and do not drive it yourself. This is the advice I've been given and we'll see if it works. You might not even get stopped. They are asking questions to buy time to check your record, so if the driver doesn't have a record you should be good unless you get weird; don't get weird when there isn't a reason to.

Only answer what you have been asked in any interrogation by any official in any country for any reason. Period. Never voluneer up anything.
  • Hello,

How strict are they if you are simply flying through Canada to connect on an ongoing flight? Will they let you in even if you have a small possession of marijuana charge on your record? I booked my ticket to Hong Kong via Vancouver and then got caught up for a small possession (2 grams) charge. My court date is 6 days before I'm scheduled to leave for Canada and HK. I have nothing else on my record and since possession of that amount of marijuana is a summary offence in Canada would I be ok? I anticipate receiving a sentence of deferred adjudication. Any help is much appreciated!
  • A prior misdemeanor OWI (I refused to test and the court converted the offense to OWI) caused me to be detained in a cell at the Canadian border until the right petty bureaucrat showed up to sign papers banning me from Canada for a year. It was explained to me that, after that year, I would need to complete a TRP (Temporary Residence Permit) if I chose to try to enter Canada in the future. I got the TRP form just to see what it entails. It is daunting: police reports from everywhere I've lived since age 18, etc. I grew up in the US close to the Canadian border and it is with sadness that I acknowledge that I will probably never go there again.
  • Its kind of interesting that so many of you are "mad at Canada Customs" but the fact of the matter is I do believe Canadians travelling to the USA cant get in either with an impaired or small convinction. Works both ways my friends.
  • Sorry to tell you Orzo but not true.. It is easier for a Canadian with a conviction to get into the U.S. than it is for a U.S. citizen with a conviction to get into Canada!!! EXPLAIN THAT ONE CANADIAN CUSTOMS...
  • They wont extradite someone from Alberta to New Foundland for recieving stolen property but they will deny admittance for a D.U.I. If I get pulled over in New York and have a warrant from California for recieving stolen property better believe Im going to California. If not N.Y. will hold me as long as they can cause Californa will have 30 days to pick me up after that they have to release me.. But for real do they really think they can keep criminals out.. Like they dont have crime or something..
  • I think it is stupid for canadian customs to deny you when all you got on your record is one small D.U.I exspecially when they know you are going to come back to your own country. When you have a round trip and you only going to visit and go site seeing and maybe to big bingos over there. Then you have family over there you want to see now i need someone to explain something to me a D.U.I in canada is a fenlony so they say then my question is how can a canadian citizen get a passport and come to the US if we can not get in then they should not be able to come over here that is so stupid. Then you got all these people that have fenolies that can go into canada but yet a D.U.I cant get in knowning that the US citizen is going to come back when there time is up.
  • Druggies should be banned in every country on our wonderful planet. Please don't look for sympathy here.
    Go to jail and serve your time and then you may pass go.

All I wnat to do is buy ALL OF MY DRUGS from Planet Drugs and throw a finger to US Customs since they are the lowest-class imaginable shills for the corrupt US drug companies!!!

I don't risk taking those drugs through US Customs, rather I let the USPS do my dirty work for me!!!
  • i already did time in US prison for possession of marihuana and now i'm doing 3 year probation and i have future deportation to cuba,my question is:what happen if i get into canada illegally and after some time i want to get my canadian resident card,job,ect????
  • i was going to go to a concert of paul mccartney in montreal i had an enhanced license but got denied entry cause of a dui in 1992 customs agent new i had concert tickets which cost me 290 dollars didnt make any differance to him have went to canada alot of times in past for much less important things so much for an enhaced license missed concert and lost 290 dollars cause of the dickhead
  • I shouldn't have any problems getting into Canada as I have no criminal record of any sort. I'm also a fifteen year military veteran honorably discharged.

My question is how do I know that I can get back into America? Is there anyplace to go to check and see if I am on a no fly list? Or a list of people who speak out about how messed up our government is?
  • If you bother to take the time to fill out a Rehabilitation Form, after about 5 years of the end of your license suspension/jail time for a DUI, you can get back into Canada. Takes a little work, but you can RE-EARN (yes, I did say EARN) the right to go back and forth to Canada if you can prove that you have been rehab. How do I know? Been here, done it.

Failing that, simply apply for a temporary resident permit for "that trip only" (such as WORK).

Best place to get the info was directly from the Canada Government website...

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/imm/inadmissible-interdiction.aspx?lang=eng&menu_id=63&menu=L
  • I have a friend go from Maine to N.B. about twice a month. He has not have a DUI in 12 years. Is there a form he can fill out to show he has been reh.
    Each time entering Canada he still be charged 200 is been charged $200.00.
    Is there a form at the boarder to speed up the process.
  • Hi there
    I need some urgent assistance!!
    I have a friend, she got a DUI in the US 4.5 years ago, and is planing to come visit me in Vancouver in 2 weeks!! The fact the DUI was a while back it's not something she always thinks about and definitely didn't think about it before buying her plane ticket....

So....What are the chances of Canadian Border patrol finding this out??? If she brings only her passport, and not her license?? Will they still be able to find the DUI? If I remember correctly, there is nothing questionnaire about past convictions on the Customs card (only declarations), so it'd only be up to the officer questioning her?

I appreciate all your advice on all this!!
    Thanks!!
  • Had a DUI 10 years ago. I have crossed the border in Windsor at least 50 times since then. No problem until this year when I was sent to customs and asked if I had ever been arrested.

Short answer was I told them yes. I was told at that time, since it had been 10 years, they could deem me rehabilitated. I was allowed entry. (This was business trip)

Since then I have traveled to Canada on vacation with no problem, but when I go into the country on business, I typicaly get sent to immigration, but am always allowed entry.

I have since gotten copies of my arresest record showing that I have paid all the fines, attended DUI class, etc...just in case
  • wow . for one thing I can honestly say yes the people in the united states can be idiots and rude .. if you dont like Canada so much why bother coming here? I would prefer not to have you come into my country so obviously greed has nothing to do with that

seriously if you dislike Canada so much stay away no one needs you here

on the other hand . I do have many friends in the united states who are not so mentally challenged as those who have posted in here putting Canada down .. I have no qualms about the US, i think we have a lot to offer one another and since we share the same continent it makes more sense to get along than not.

Now . true when you are an ass you are an ass, your country does not depict you as being an ass you yourself are the ass .. so to put down any one country for a few inept mentally challenged people who probably deserved to be handcuffed and interrogated if your attitude was anything upon that occasion as it is by our words in here . well guess you just sorta asked for it.

I recently had a friend from the US imply he was unable to obtain a US passport in order to travel to Canada or anywhere for that matter because of a DUI from 20 years ago. BUT that is US passport officials who have refused the passport

I am sure the same could be true in Canada. I have a valid passport. I have a friend who has no criminal past here in Canada, but he is gay and he is legally married and he was once stoped at the US border by the US officials detained questioned and his possessions and they looked at his wedding pictures, (he was visiting friends and relatives to show them the pictures) and since then because of that one incident has been denied entry into the US

To me it sounds just as bad on either side when it comes to the officials it really all comes down to who you are dealing with at the time and what kind of attitude that one official may have. Sad but true.

AS to lenience, I actually would prefer the person who bragged about his ridiculous criminal record that included 2 convictions would be denied access. PERMANENTLY. I would prefer that people who did nOt like Canada so much stay on their side and not venture here if you hate us and the country stay out it really is that simple

as for greed? wow .. ask any country out there and the USA is known to be the most arrogant and greediest of them all .. but should we put all of the rest of you down for THAT REPUTATION? Personally I think not but I prefer to weigh each individual case based on the individual, not because of their nationality or the reputation their country has made. As far as greed is concerned, there is not one single country out there who does not operate w/o greed as a main contributor to what they want out of another country. The reason we are sadly referred to as being the extra state is sadly because the US managed to convince Canada a long time ago that free trade was a good thing for the US yes, it allowed many US owned and based companies in to buy up what they could and many Canadian companies no longer exist for that reason. GREED? again . it was individual choices that the owners of the Canadian companies sold out to the US.. not the entire country.

GOVERNMENTS AND BUSINESS OWNERS ARE THE GREEDY ONES
  • I am a US Citizen that also has a record as a matter fact six of them over 10 years ago. Not proud of them just stating it for this purpose. Due to the economy I have recently decided I wanted to work on the boats. A company I applied for here in Duluth, Minnesota and told me I would have to try to get a Temporary Work Permit in Canada. Otherwise if they were to hire me and they went to a Canada Port which they do. The Captain of the ship would be arrested and the company would get a fine. So, I was given a number to call I believe Canada Border patrol and explained my record and my reason (work) for wanting to enter Canada to the guy who answered the phone. I want to stress this part very clearly. I was honest and very polite to the person on the phone. He was also honest and very polite to me. As he explained that I would need to get a Letter of Rehabilitation and that it could take up to a year, and proceeded to give me a phone number to the Detroit Canadian Consulate. I called there and find that you will only get your questions answered by a regular letter by mail or email which they have on the web site http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/detroit/index.aspx?lang=eng
    They also have application forms for the Letter of Rehabilitation and a Temporary Resident Permit along with a download of a checklist of what you need to do. I am in the process of doing all of this as we speak. It will take time as you need to get your court records which needs to be in detail if you read everything and try get the info needed. Now, I want to say one thing here. Well maybe more then one as there as seem to been a lot of hate flying around over these issues between the postings toward both countries. I want to ask everyone here that is trying to get in to Canada. Where do you really think the fault lies? You know why we can't get into Canada. Well, I guess I looked in the mirror and realize it is my own fault. This been hard on me as I thought I had the answers to getting a decent job. But, as you know there are penalities to everything. And we who want to get into Canada must obey and follow the rules and go through the hoops. If we are denied entry into Canada it is our own fault. You shouldn't say I made one little mistake if it is only one D.U.I. or whatever offence you had. When you went to get your Drivers license didn't you know the laws at that time? Yeah, you faced the consequences in the US but as I learned there are other consequences we must face. I know I am a good person and will try and suck it up and do what I need to do to enter Canada. It is another crossroad in life I put upon myself. If I can't get into Canada due to these reasons. I know it is my fault. As far as the Canadian's postings here. I would feel the same way towards some people who don't get it. Please don't take it out on all of us. I am proud to have your country Canada share the same border as us. I will be proud wether I have the right or not to enter Canada. And will obey the rules.

P.S. going to get my finger prints taken on Monday so I can send them off to the FBI.
  • If you are planning a trip to the U.S., as a precaution carry a
    certified true copy of the information (court document) relating to
    the conviction and a copy of the Criminal Code section under which you were convicted.
    It would be wise also to have a letter from your doctor stating you are not addicted to alcohol or drugs. If available, bring a certified true transcript of the evidence underlying your conviction as well."
    source: Ron Jourard
    Criminal Lawyer, Toronto, Ontario
  • I am concerned right now because my boyfriend was planning a trip to see me here in the U.s.. he is Canadian and he just got arrested (I don't know all the details yet) but he was arrested for possible possession of marijuana. He was visiting his brother and his brother had it at his house. He was probably using it there though. Ugh I am freaking out now that he won't be able to get across the border this coming Sunday! He already bought his bus ticket. Will it be hard for him to get into the U.S? Then both of us plan to drive back to Canada together after Christmas..Can someone tell me if this is going to be really messed up now? =(
  • Well, this is just all extraordinarily confusing. I'm a guest on this site, and I appreciate all the comments and information here. I'm also a former attorney, and I've spent a couple of days doing research on the dui/minor conviction barring entry to Canada issue. For those folks with recent convictions, the information seems pretty clear -- you will be prohibited from entering if the customs agent/border patrol knows or learns of your conviction (either through background check or your honest answer).

What is much more ambiguous is how the process works for those with a conviction more than ten years old. Everything on the Canadian border/customs site is geared toward applying for rehabilitation, but the most that is said for individuals with convictions older than ten years is that they "may be deemed rehabilitated." But does that mean the border agent can deem you rehabilitated when you try to cross? Is it automatic? Do you have to apply for a Canadian official to state that you are now deemed rehabilitated? If so, why so doesn't the website instruct you to do so? As a lawyer, I have to say this is a mess of a system, but I guess we have to work within it.

I have plan to travel to Canada over the holiday, and my plan is simply to go and answer any questions I may be asked when they come up. As far as I can tell from everything I've read, I should be deemed rehabilitated -- I've had no infractions (and yes, we're talking about a DUI 15 years ago, and a couple of speeding violations more than ten years ago) in the past 10 years.

Another interesting point here is that with extremely old minor convictions, it's sometimes difficult to get state and local authorities to acknowledge them and that the sentence or fine has been discharged. That's because the minor convictions on non-repeat offenders are the first ones to be pushed off the system for document retention purposes. The point is, the last time I tried to get certifications from local police in KY when I was applying for the admission to the NY state bar as an attorney, I trouble getting the authorities to acknowledge I had been arrested! They say I haven't, I know I have, and how in the world am I supposed to document that for the Canadian border patrol. Unbelievable.

Any thoughts on the "deemed rehabilitated" point would be much appreciated. Happy holidays!
  • I sure wish someone one have answered jdubs. I have the same disposition. DUI in 1994, some 17 years ago. Want to go to UFC in Toronto, last time I tried getting in was 2005 or 2006, I live in Buffalo walking distance from the bridge, I was going to bingo with my wife and mom. I guess I didn't answer the declare question truthfully out of ignorance so he gave me a hard time and made me turn the car around.

I don't have police records or AA consoling papers from way back then, I've always thought fukem since but now I sorta need to know. It cost crazy $ for tickets and hotel plus my friends that I'll be with will also be denied entrance. Isn't there a queen or someone I can talk to up there, it's ridiculous to have this concern left ambiguously judged by the customs agent. Since I'd be crossing the border with a much more hostile looking group then wifey and ma-dukes, I don't know if it's worth the risk? And that my friend is why Canada has flapping heads in southpark, eh?
  • I have all the info you need. I am a pilot with a recent DUI and I know exactly what you need to do to get into Canada with no questions asked and you'll be legal as can be with no worries. This is a test post. Checking to see if this will post.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion