Is it safe to travel by car to mexico city
  • I have heard that poeple traveling by car have been robbed and killed to steal their car and their belonging debating to go or not and very afraid if I risk going !! please give me any info if anybody has traveled by car .... how are the roads thx
  • Travelling to Mexico City by car used to be a great adventure. I have done it twice from Toronto, Canada. In fact, I have driven twice from Toronto to Costa Rica.

Considering all that's going on right now with the drug cartels, I would not advise you driving to Mexico City.

But if you do, make sure you drive during the day, never at night.

And bring an extra container of gas with you because there is one stretch of highway through the mountains that has very few gas stations.

Good luck.
  • Actually, its not that risky at all to drive to mexico city. I live one hour away from the city and visit it often. I recommend you to do so. Do what dimitri says also. Bye, have a nice journey.
  • So the idea of driving from Mexico to Guatemala is getting more real now that the airline tickets have been bought. Suggestions (go ahead, write me a page) for road, place to visit?
  • My aunt is from Mexico and she says that the Mexicans themselves say, things are pretty bad. With the drugs and the economy, Mexico is not the place to take lightly. The wealthy people in Mexico are moving to the states, because of the kidnapping that is happening among them. They fear for their lives, their families and their safety. They drive in cars with bullet proof windows, because they know people out there, know they have money... and lots of it. People everywhere are desperate for money and more so in Mexico. I'm not saying not to go to Mexico, Mexico is the most beautiful place in the world, but BEWARE. This is not the time to discover the country and drive around freely! Stay at the resorts, the tourist traps for now. You'll be safe there and please don't wonder off. If you just hate resorts and tourist stops and must have a taste of real Mexico and be safe. I can recommend you visiting Cuanavaca (sp?) it's about an hour from Mexico City. I was there in Feb. 2009 and being female, felt safe walking the streets by myself, of course only in the day time. I'd walk to the grocery store, hair salon etc. and felt safe. I speak Spanish so that helps a lot! The town is small and safe. They have of course areas you must avoid, like any other town. If you go to their downtown "The Plaza" Ah! It's like taking a breath of fresh air. Something just lefts your soul and you feel at peace there. I went with some friends and we just sat in the park taking it all in, drinking our refreshments. Just thinking about it right now, relaxes me.
    Happy Traveling!
  • I've lived in mexico for 12 years and I've never been robed. I think it's completley saftey to drive during the day and night, theres nothing to worry about, unless you're in the suburbs. If you decide to go you will have a lot of fun, trust me. ;)
  • I have driven from San Diego to Mexico City twice, but this was about 15 years ago. I do however travel to Mexico once or twice a year by plane. This summer I plan to drive with my wife and daughter. I think if you just plan well (maps, roads, hotels, distances, and time) it should be fine. You just need be cautious like I only drive during the day and take the toll roads which happen to be safer and faster. I think the key is get away from the US/Mexican border, that's where most of problems take place.
  • I consider it safe. I have driven my truck all the way to Guanajuato and Vallarta by myself and I have been fine. You just have to use common sense when stopping at a gas station, eat or staying in a Hotel. When you stop make sure to stay together and keep your car parked close to you. If you cannot park the car close to you just ask someone who has a business close by to it to keep an eye on it and usually a 5 dollar tip makes them happy. In a hotel try to stay in a nice one and choose a safe area.
    Felicity-
  • Im Leaving To Mexico in About Two Days And Im Really Scared Cuz We're Going by car, Is It Really as dangerouse as people say it is.?
  • I THINK IF YOU ARE RICH AND HAVE A NICE CAR THEN BE CAREFUL I
    WENT THIS YEAR AND THE CARTELS STOPED ME OFCOURSE SINCE THEY SAW ME IN A JUNKY OLD CAR THEY LET ME GO BUT I GOT TO SEE THREE OTHER
    NICE TRUCKS YEAR 2008 THEN WHEN I LEFT THEY NEVER CATCHED UP!
    SO CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING VALUABLE!
  • I LIVE IN MEXICO AND TRAVEL A LOT BY CAR. THERE IS SOME TRUE FACTS BEHIND THE MITHS. THERE ARE ROADS AND AREAS WHERE PEOPLE (MEXICANS) DON´T WANT TO GO ON THIS DAYS UNLESS NECESSARY LIKE THE ONES AROUND CIUDAD JUAREZ, REINOSA, MATAMOROS AND OTHERS CLOSE TO THE BORDER AND OTHERS. THE PUBLIC PERCEPTION OF "DANGEROUSITY" OF PLACES CHANGE WITH TIME AS SHOOTINGS BETWEEN THE POLICE AND CRIMINALS OCCURE. BUT YOU HAVE IN THE OTHER HAND THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE ROADS OF THE COUNTRY COMPLETELY SAFE AND ENJOYABLE. JUST USE COMMON SENSE AS LISA, LOUISE, ENRIQUE AN FELICITYSNOW SAYS. DRIVE WITH DAYLIGTH, USE TOLL ROADS AND THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO HAVE SOME FRIEND IN THIS SIDE TO TELL YOU THE DOMESTIC PERCEPTION ABOUT A PARTICULAR ROAD. KEEP AT HAND THE EMERGENCY NUMBERS TO CALL FEDERAL POLICE FROM YOUR CELL PHONE, *112, JUST IN CASE YOU HAVE TO REPORT AN EMERGENCY.
  • We are trying to weigh if we can travel to Baja from Northern California by car safely. We have done this several times in the past without thinking twice about it. The plan is to travel with three other families, (safety in numbers). This is the first time that I feel like canceling the trip. We don't drive a Lexus but we do have a nice Toyota that we will be using to tow our small RV.
  • Hi Chloe -

I just returned from a road trip from San Diego to Cabo. I can tell you personally that the road is in excellent condition and we neither saw, nor heard of anyone experiencing any crime whatsoever. I highly encourage you to go. The locals are as warm and welcoming as ever!

Robert Marcos, photographer
  • my husband want's to go by car to Mexico, but I'm afraid. He just think than every body is over reacting about the violence for the drugs cartels. We have a Civic Honda 2006 and I don't feel secure going by car.. what can I do? He's so stubborn! Any help?
  • I think my true story will make some of you smile, happy that you have never been in this position and some of you worriers, like I used to be, a little less worried.
    My rental house which was promised by my old friend to be a comfortable resting place for me in Bisbee went into foreclosure and I am 68, have very bad sacrilliac joint pain, sold all because I couldn't move anything after I pulled the rotary cuff in my right arm too in sheer panic, devastated, 2 days before Christmas.
    I got my old Jeep road ready, if there is such a thing, did not take any jewelry, took my beloved little dog Heidi and had to actually place my arm on the steering wheel to drive.
    From Bisbee, Puerto Penasco was a 5 hour trip and I went for it.
    I steadily drove through the Cactus National Monument Park which was breathtaking but also supposed to be the most dangerous stretch of highway for the cartels.
    I was passed many times by huge, black, American trucks with dark, tinted windshields driving recklessly and passing endangering themselves and others.
    One just cut me off and I almost went into the ditch. I honked at him, he gave me the middle finger and just as I was going to do the same, I realized I was putting our lives on the line for this road rage, most likely cartel behavior.
    I passed waving as "this old lady with her little dog".
    Here in this little town of Puerto Penasco by the ocean, the poor are so poor it hurts not to want to help and the cartels are active. The police wear black face masks not to be identified by cartels while driving with loaded rifles on the back of their trucks.
    I was stopped one day by one of those reprimanding me for going through a stop sign. I know I didn't since I stop at every crossing since a lot of the signs are broken or full of bullet holes. My neighbor nodged me not to say anything and I ended up apologizing for "going through a stop sign". Buen dias seniora and I was free to go. There was no stop sign. It got knocked down and never replaced, but you are supposed to remember it was there.
    The police have all the power here and are very money hungry. That is the only thing I am afraid off since they can literally ask you for your life savings!!
    I am not even afraid of the devil anymore which makes life a lot easier, but be smart and use common sense.
  • You can drive during the day for safety.
  • NO, if I was you not even by plane, the situation there is chaotic and all drug users and maker are there they do not care any person that's why I cannot say that it's safe also in the car..
  • Jerry, stop talking nonsense.
  • Jerry222 makes it up as he goes along. and its usually nonesense

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged