Ireland Visa quesitons
  • My sons girlfriend is Chinese and lives and works in London. I recently tried to take her to Dublin for my daughters hen party. She has a passport and a Schengen visa which covers her for European Countries. She recently went to France and extended it for another 6 months. She assumed that this would cover her for Dublin..
    We went to Gatwick and got the tickets, booked in our baggage, went through customs, and it wasn't until we got to the gate to board the plane that she was stopped and told that she did not have the correct documents and therefore could not get on the plane. After that she was held for over an hour while they still checked over her passport and visa before they escourted to the front entrance.
    When she returned home one of her Chinese friends had told her that she had recently visited Dublin and got through with the same documents but had to pay a fee at Dublin for her document to be stamped.
    She has now tried to claim off of her travel Insurance as she has paid out over £200 for her flight and accomodation and has also lost money from work but was told that they do not cover this.
    Has anyone any suggestions, was the airline right to refuse...
  • All of the Schengen countries are in Europe, but only fifteen countries are active members: Austria, Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxemburg, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and The Netherlands. Her Schengen Visa would not allow her to travel to Ireland or any of the other non-active European countries.

I suggest if she wants to travel to the United Kingdom or Ireland in the future she contact the Chinese Consul where she resides and obtain the proper documentation.
  • You need to go to the Irish Consulate in Cromwell Road (opposite harrods) to obtain visa. Probably if you had flown to Belfast and taken the train to Dublin you would have had no problem as land border controls are non-existent. try Belfast/Northern Ireland some day - it's a grand place to visit.
  • Thank you so much for your replys

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged