Is there Malaria in Gambia?
  • My wife and I are planning to travel to Gambia next year in January. We are going to Banjul and the coast, and may spend time on the Gambia River. Is malaria something we should be worried about on our holiday and if so, in what areas is malaria most prevalent? Should we be worried about malaria when we're at the coast? Is it best to take the prophylactics for the duration of our holiday and which type is best suited to Gambia? Is there adequate treatment locally if we get sick?
  • Hi Bruce

I am planning a trip to Zambia and Botswana in November and have been to the doctor for health advice and shots. I was told that all of Africa is a high risk area (and you are going to be at coast and river -breeding grounds for mosquitos) and anti-malaria tablets are strongly advised although will not guarantee 100% protection. I am going to get a prescription for Malarone which I need only take 2 days before travel and a week on return to UK. This is not cheap at about £2:50 per tab but I have chosen this rather than the cheaper alternative Larium which has to be taken for weeks before and after and, I hear, can cause side effects - delirium, hallucinations, feeling unwell.
    Have a good trip but come back healthy.
    Leo
  • Hi Bruce

I have lived in the Gambia on and off for many years, if you need any advice email me on willysuey@yahoo.co.uk I will be pleased to help.
    Will
  • please be very wary of malaria in Gambia, my father went last year for a two week holiday, took the tablets etc as reccomended and contracted cerebral malaria, he sadly passed away a month later of multiple organ failure.
    Gambia is the malaria hotspot of the world, even if you take the medication as advised you are still liable to getting malaria.
    If you do contraact malaria whilst in Gambia you need to receive medical intervention within ten days of the symptons showing or you will be unlikely to survive, if you are unwell on returning from Gambia go to your GP ASAP, malaria first manifests as flu so be on your guard.
  • HI BRUCE
    had just been in Gambia with MALARONE in my pocket, got many side effects,sore throat,cough,
    very bad diarrhea,and i mean very bad, and very strong pain in my liver,almost could not breathe..
    my travel friends had something they should take only once a week with no problems, my problems disappeared so soon i stop with MALARONE, i would definitely not take it next time.. have a nice trip, Gambia is beautiful ...JAZZY
  • HI BRUCE
    had just been in Gambia with MALARONE in my pocket, got many side effects,sore throat,cough,
    very bad diarrhea,and i mean very bad, and very strong pain in my liver,almost could not breathe..
    my travel friends had something they should take only once a week with no problems, my problems disappeared so soon i stop with MALARONE, i would definitely not take it next time.. have a nice trip, Gambia is beautiful ...JAZZY
  • Hi all of you,
    I know a product called Vital Protection. It is a spray that helps prevent the bites of potentially disease carrying ticks, mosquitoes etc. It is applied on textile and not on skin.
    If applied correctly it can last up to 30 washes or 3 months. Tests have shown that treatment with Vital Protection, reduces the actuall biting of insects between 80-90%. If you want more info on this product feel free to e-mail me on vitalprotection@bluedaisy.co.za. Regards PJ
  • Hi, I would ask your doctor to be honest, as everyone reacts differently to the various medicines that are available for malaria, we go every year and we get our malaria tablets from the One Stop pharmacy just up on the top of the strip across the main road, there about 25 dalasi for a pack of 8 and you take one a week, always worked for us, but can leave you a bit weepy for a couple of days, but if you know whats coming you can cope.
    Tell your doctor that you are going round the creeks and such, and be careful to cover up when the sun goes down.
    If you are after an interesting and beautiful Island to visit then please contact me at contact@kayirabeach.com and I will help you sort out trips etc.
  • Hi all,
    For those out there seeking advice about malaria prevention in Gambia here's a tip or two. Yes, it is a problem throughout the country so wherever you're going precautions must be taken. Although you can contract the disease at any time of year, the worst months for Gambia are between June and November. Get personal, and up-to-date advice about what prophylaxis to take as they are constantly making progress with this stuff and not all kinds will suit everybody or the country itself: chloroquine is not up to the job in Gambia, for instance. Finally, be clever about wearing loose, long-sleeved clothes and using insect repellent and mosquito nets even if you are taking meds because these preventative measures can help a great deal.
  • Good day
    For any Mosquito or insect problems at home or when you travel have a look at our website www.Vital Protection you will no longer have to live with creepy crawly friends.  We sell directly to the public.  We have products on the shelves of GAME, Builders Warehouse & Cape Union Mart it will be your last travel without it.
    Feel free to contact us.
    Vital Protection greetings

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged