Ring of Kerry hiking trip
  • I want to walk the Ring of Kerry, the entire Kerry Way from start to finish. Which maps do I need and where can I get them? Has anyone done the walk in October - any tips or lessons? I gather weather is variable so want to pack the right gear. As for accommodation, do I need to book beforehand or just show up; alternaitvely is it better to camp along the route? Any advice appreciated thannks.
  • You need the 1:50 000 OS map - numbers 78 and 83.
    And get a copy of the Walk Guide to South West Ireland by Sean O'Suilleabhain which has all the info on route and accommodation you could want. It is sold in bookshops in Killarney.
  • While you're there, don't miss climbing up Irelands highest mountain Carrauntoohil. The book above, actually called Walk Guide: South West of Ireland, is a good reference point. Ocotober starts getting wet so pack your waterproofs.
  • Unlike Dublin in Kerry at this time of the year you can book your accommodation on the same day - usually it's best to book before 4pm.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged