Visiting Scotland: need a visa?
  • i would be visiting london in month of october. i wish to visit other places in and aound london...... can u suggest where i can go and can i visit scotland on my UK visa?
  • Scotland is part the UK. Your UK visa is good there. for idea of where to go and what to see, check out the World Travels guide to London: http://www.wordtravels.com/Cities/England/London

and Scotland: http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/Provinces/Scotland
  • what about a backpacking travel? Is it allowed in Scotland? What do I need for this?
  • samwise - scotland is great for backpacking. lOts of hostels, campsites (in summer), and public transport is great. You can also hitchhike quite easily once out of the cities. Scotladn is not cheap though, much like the rest of affluent europe.
  • I have a UK VISA , business VISA for busienss in UK..during my staying, can i go to Scotland with this business UK VISA, and come back? my VISA type is Multi Entry.
  • abc - Scotland is part of the UK so your visa is good there. There is no border between Scotland and England - so your visa wont even be looked at. Have fun.
  • Thanks David.
    hope it would be okay..
    where are you?
  • David,
    eventhough, I go there by 'plane', right?
    no immigration?
  • abc - i am based in RSA. Are you flying direct to Scotland (Edinburgh?) Then they will process you in the same way as if you have flown into Heathrow.
  • Hello David,

Is a business visa required to travel to Scotland or London to do a consultation meeting? I would be paid by people there, or can also set it up for people to pay me online prior to traveling there. I live in New York.

The consultation can be one day or at times, two days.

Thank you in advance for your response,
    David E
  • David E - If you have a US passport no visa is required. See here for details on UK visa requirements
  • hi david,
    i have a scottish bf.he is planning to come here in the philippines on feb.7.then he wants me to come with him to Japan then to scotland.i have a married status passport.what are the requirements so that i can go with him?
  • Tess, i really advise you to get advice from the UK embassy in the Philippines:
    British Embassy, Manila: +63 (0)2 580 8700
    These issues get quite complex and best you get official answers and quite possibly a visa before taking your trip.
  • Hi,I'm from Tunisia,I'm studing British Civilisation and litt
  • I'm planning on moving to Scotland to move in with my boyfriend.

I am American and I'd like to attend school in Scotland in Sept though I'm moving to Scotland in April.

I want to work and live there comfortably for a few months.

What kind of Visa should I get?
  • My best friend is north of Inverness in Scotland. She is surrounded by sheep and hills, and no other people. She is being held captive by her psycho husband. She wants to get back to the US and to the Embassy for help, but he is with her 24/7. Who can help her out? At this point, her life is in danger. She can't call because he monitors everything.:(
  • david,
    im planning to visit my bf in scotland for 2 weeks?im from philippines but working in dubai.it is possible to go in scotland?? what are the requirements?and the visa cost?
  • Dear brother, i would like to know visa formailties to scotland, am an indian having UAE residance visa

best regards
  • I RUN A SMALL BUSINESS IN GOA,N HAVE A VERY CLOSE FAMILY FRIENDS IN SCOTLAND.I WUD REALLY LOVE TO GO N VISIT SCOTLAND AS THEY FORCE ME TO COME.THE SPONCER LETTER ISREADY 4M THEM.WAT SHUD I DO 2 GET A VISIT VISA.
  • hi...
    i plan to go to UK (london) by middle of this month (oct) n after that will go to scotland.
    any idea, what can i do there? 1 of the reason, i will be golfing there.
    any good course recommendation?
    how do i go to scotland?
    i will depart from singapore direct to london; but from london to scotland, i have no idea how to go??
    please advise

thanks

caecilia
  • Hi
    Iam scottish my dominican boyfriend is coming for a holiday to uk for 2 weeks only, how much money do i need to show in my bank statements (account)for the visa? will £1000 be ok or will i need more
    please can anyone give me advise
    thanks
  • Hi

Can I go scotland from London having Indian passport with UK work permit.

Please suggest.

Thanks,
    Kumar
  • hi im planning to go to scottland for summer work i dont know whats the requirements for a visa for South African i have been there b4 only for a visit and i was told that SA dont need visa to visit there for up to one month, im currently living in Ireland studying full time
  • Hi David. Im a danish resident, and i would like to visit a friend in scotland, for a week or so. Do i need a visa, or will my passport sufice? thanks
  • Danish dude - no visa needed to visit the UK, your passport will be fine.
  • Hey david , I am egyptian and I already have a Visa for 6 months for UK..and I am thinking of 2 days in scotland and irland ! the question is Do I need to apply for another Visa or the UK's one is enough ?!

Thanks alot
  • @Heidi - Scotland is part of the UK so your visa is good there. If by Ireland, you mean Republic of Ireland (where Dublin is etc) then you do need a visa to visit. See here for more info: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/visa_requirements_for_entering_ireland.html
  • Hi David,

and thank you for all these above information.
    I have been in UK, London, for a while now, and my VISA has expired. I will be soon in the process of applying for a new one. However, I would love to visit Scotland this month. Will I need to show a valid VISA if I fly from London to Scotland ?
    (I suppose that wouldn't be a problem to travel by car/ or by train though, but is easier and quicker by plane).

Thanks in advance David,
    Regards,
    Cedric
  • @Cedric - you are flying domestically so there is no passport required - you will exit via domestic arrivals. However, you will need some form of photo ID when departing, so bring your passport, although driver's license will also suffice.
  • I AM PLANNING TO VISIT uK IN A MONTH, WILL MY UK VIZA GOOD FOR IRELAND ALSO IS NORHTERN IRELAND IS HAVING ANY TOURIST PROBLEM
  • PLEASE AM ON A VISIT TO SCOTLAND AND AM WONDERING IF I NEED A VISA TO VISIT UK TOO FROM SCOTLAND BEFORE I GO BACK HOME.
  • Hi David i hold a south african passport, i do not need a visa for entry into Ireland, can i travel from Ireland to Scotland, do i need any visa???
  • Vicky - Scotland is part of the UK, so same visa requirements as if you were flying into Heathrow for example. Britain and Northern Ireland has its own visa requirements that are different to Republic of Ireland.
  • HI! Iam from Greece.What if me and my family ,(Husband and 2 kids) ,wants to work and stay permanently in Scotland.
    Do we need to get a visa or we pass only with the id or passport???
    Thank you!
  • I'm thinking about bagpacked tour in Scottland. Is it impossible if i have english visa and i fly straight there to Glasglow or Edinburgh ??
  • Hi David i have already C visit visa for 6 months but my passport expires on July 2013. But now i want to appy for 2 yrs visit visa for the UK.Do they issue me the visa as my passport doesn't cover that time limit.Is it ok if i apply in this Nov.
  • Kurt,

It shouldn't be a problem, I've had visas that were valid longer than my passport. Once your passport expires you'll need to carry both with you until you can get it transferred to your new one. But be aware that some countries will not recognise visas in expired passports.
  • hi! im from Mexico, im about to finish university, im almost 27 years old, i want to visit the UK, but i have no idea what to do, i would like to go for 3 or 4 months and i would like to go to scotland.
    can you please give me some advice or any idea what to do if i go to the UK?? study english? get a course?
    i hope i have explained myself
  • Hello David!
    I am holding Vietnamese Passport and i have 3 years status visa in Finland, now i want to go to visit one of my friend in Scotland. can i apply for a visa in UK or Scotland Embassy in Finland? do i need to show my account statement and how much? I am studying fulltime in University. do i need to show certificate i am a student?
    Thanks very much.
    BRS
    Dennis
  • If you have a VISA for the UK then you are free to travel to Scotland also. What many people are not aware of is when you have a Visa for the UK you may need a Visa to travel to paris on one of the many day trips from London to Paris.
  • hi there i am an Indian and planning to travel to Scotland for 3 nights i have applied for U K tourist visa do i also need to apply for Scotland visa
  • Scotland is part of the UK.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged