Backpacking in Jamaica on a budget
  • I'm planning on backpacking through Jamaica towards the end of October - is this quite easy to do.
    Are there lots of backpackers and hostels to choose from or is it mostly hotels and holiday resorts?
    I'm on quite a tight budget so I need to know if this is a feasible option or not...
    Any advice, tips and info would be great. Also if anyone can point me in the direction of the best accommodations and also which areas I should put at the top of my list to visit.

Thanks!
  • It is quite easy to backpack in Jamaica. There are many hostels and such to choose from in any parish you wish to travel through. There are reasonable priced places and you don't even have to search hard.
  • For those on a tight budget back-packing etc around Jamaica, looking for somewhere cheap and clean for overnight or short stay -

Hibiscus Cottage in Runaway Bay may be just the place you are looking for!

phone - 1876 393 6578
  • Back Packing is really the mode of going about, but you should work out very carefully the type of experience you wish to have (off the beaten track - Hiking etc. or just sampling the typical attractions along the coasts).

Many backpackers visit the island each year, but if you wish to save money it's best to make a list of the places and a schedule, so you can link affordable accommodation to the locations. It's easy to burst your budget with unnecessary transportation expenses resulting from a poorly planned itinerary.

Jamaica may look small but it's a big island with longer than expected travel times partly due to the poor road conditions and its very mountainous topography.
  • My partner and I own a coffee farm in Jamaicas breath taking Blue Mountains. It is located in Middleton Settlement, St. Andrew.
    We recently worked on setting up a one unit Guest House. It sits perched on the edge of our coffee farm.
    PRINCE VALLEY GUEST HOUSE is one unit consisting of two spacious rooms and one bath. It is a backpackers delight. Read all about PRINCE VALLEY GUEST HOUSE on our Website princevalleyguesthouse.com and on Facebook! Next time your traveling in Jamaica experience the "other " Jamaica...visit the hills.
    Happy Traveling!
  • Backpacking around Jamaica is totally do-able! It might not be quite as cheap as South East Asia or India, but it's still decent. Food is cheap. The beach is free!

Best place I stayed was Irie Rest on Treasure Beach -- about $20 a night, I think, but it was excellent.

Happy trails!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion