Yucatan Peninsula or Baja California?
  • My boyfriend and I are finally going to Mexico on vacation but we're totally torn between where to go:
    Baja California with its Tujuana, Los Cabos and La Paz; or Yucatan Peninsula with Cancun and Playa del Carmen...

Does anyone have any advice on which is the best holiday resort to go to for a fun-filled (but not too touristy) vacation with great nightlife, a good choice of local restaurants, fabulous beaches, stunning scenery and plenty of variation in activities on offer?
    I'd appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks.....
  • I would say Playa Del Carmen, because there's such a variety of things to do compared to the Pacific coast. I would avoid Cancun, it's a bit too touristy and resort-based. Playa has a nice mix of great restaurants, a stunning beach, and some good nightlife. Some parts of it are admittedly a little tacky, but it's a nice tacky.

From Playa you can:
    * visit the Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza as a day trip
    * head south to Tulum to see what I think is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world
    * Trek across the border into Belize for some of the best diving in the world
    * go whale-shark diving on Holbox island to the north
    * go snorkelling in Xel - Ha
    * plenty more things besides!

The roads are great, rent a car and you've got the freedom to explore it at your own pace.
  • Hi,

You have picked two of the biggest tourist destinations in Mexico, so either one will be very touristy. Out of the two that you have chosen, Baja California is less touristy than the Cancun area, especially once you head north of La Paz. About half way up the peninsula of Baja California you will find very remote quiet places, with stunning beaches and desert scenery. It's easy to hire a car in La Paz and drive up the peninsula.

Lee
    Kumuka Worldwide
    www.kumuka.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion