Is travel in Nigeria safe for women?
  • I'm heading to Nigeria for work and will be alone for a few days of my trip. I'll be in Lagos for 3 days. Can anyone tell me if it's safe for a woman to be travelling on her own in Nigeria and Lagos? I'm a bit nervous as I've heard a lot of conflicting stories of crime. Can anyone please give me a proper answer?

Thank you
  • Steffi, Nigeria is perfectly safe for women to travel even if they are alone. However, take the usual precautions you'll normally take in any foreign country. Port Harcourt,(Rivers State) Bayelsa, Delta and Edo states are a bit restive presently, so take xtra care and endeavour to always have a guide with you in these places. outside of these places Nigeria is very peaceful, accommodating and fun-filled!

If you will be in Lagos be sure to take ONLY the red cabs. If in Abuja, take only the Abuja city cabs. Transact your currency xchange in a bank or a bureau de change, NOT WITH SOME TOUTS BY THE ROAD-SIDE.

Should you need any further assistance please, call: +2348023103243 and I'll be glad to be of help.

Please, enjoy your stay.
  • I feel much better about my trip to Lagos now and I think I'll be taking your phone number with me!

Many thanks - steffi
  • i will be posted to nigeria for a period of 3 months or maybe more. Accommodation and transport all taken care off. A bit worried on the cost of living there, heard its quite expensive.cost of food & drinks (non alcohol)what currency would you recommend me using. are there places you could visit and buy things to bring home.
  • To Rose:
    Nigeria can be expensive a lil bit, but, if you carefully choose the restaurants you'll eat at, i think the costing would be more or less same with, if not cheaper than similar class in other climes. The USD, GBP and EURO are widely accepted and easily convertible. Depending on the areas you will be visiting and mementos you intend taking with you, there are diverse markets to buy from.

Should you need any further assistance please, call: +2348023103243 and I'll be glad to be of help.

Please, enjoy your stay.
  • My husband and myself will be in Abuja for an year or so. I am an indian. Is it a safe place to stay. And is there an indian population. Do they have indian stores. We are purely vegetarian
  • hi!
    I am very worried i'l be coming for lagos for 2years, i feel bit of scared... like crime,point of security etc.. can you guide me... 60k naira is it enough for a month.
  • how far from west africa to south africa?
  • To G3:
    Nigeria is a very safe place to stay, moreso, your destination:Abuja, is probably one of the best places from the security standpoint. There are plenty Indian stores and Abuja boast of a vibrant Indian Community, though not as much as Lagos.

There are a sizeable number of Nigerian that are vegetarians, so, getting to satisfying your culinary desires should not pose a problem.

Bienvennue and Bon Appetit!
  • To Pinky:
    Lagos, is safer than most African Countries' Capital. Observe the usual precautions you will even if you were in your home country. 60k for a month depend on what your expenses are: Do you have your own transport? will you be staying in an hotel? How about your feeding arrangement? Would you be clubbing occasionally? anyway, 60k is roughly USD400, so do the maths.

Please, enjoy your stay.
  • To Pinky:
    West Africa to South africa is +/- 8hrs by flight.
  • I will be travelling to Nigeria soon..but my flight will land in the evening and i will have to sleep over in Lagos.Which hotel do you think i can stay in just for 1 night.
  • I live in south Africa and recently traveled to Nigeria. Lagos - Abuja - Kano. My trip was planned by my agent in south africa. But a nigerian travel agent handled the hotel booking, airport transfer service. It was really a wonderful experience. Contact Access to Africa - South Africa or Renew ventures - Nigeria www.renewreservation.com
  • Thanks Trippointer
    Actually we will be staying in Onkan Lagos not in Abuja. So can u please advise about that place. My husband has gone to Onkan Lagos for 15 days. In another 5 months i will also be moving there. And also please advice - if there are indians in that place and if there are indian stores. And if there is any gated community and any website to check that Please advice.
  • G3 - I cant answer your specific question ,but keep your eyes on the Expat Arrivals Nigeria guide for regularly updated expat info on that country. http://www.expatarrivals.com/nigeria/moving-to-nigeria
  • Thanks David.
    How about Victoria Island. Any idea about that place. I browsed about that place and the pics are beautiful but there are no comments about the safety
  • VI is one of the safest places in Lagos. Lot of corporates and expats in and around so you should be fine.
  • I will be posted to lagos, nigeria very soon, accomodation & travelling will be taken care by the company.
    will N 50000 will be sufficient to survive a good life. I do not often go to the clubs or pubs but yes, i have a habit of drinking evryday. Also tell me how safe is the clubs or pubs in lagos are for Indians like me.
  • Could anyone share the information about Kaduna safety and social life there. I am Russia and coming to wok there for two years and wonder if there are any Russians there.
    Thanks
  • It will be also helpfull if anyone could share information about airport arrivals procedures, customs and any fees associated with arrival to Nigeria
    Thanks
  • Hi

I have been offerred a position in Abuja. I want to know what is the tax structure.

Thank You
    daffodils
  • Lagos, is safer than most African Countries' Capital. Observe the usual precautions you will even if you were in your home country. 60k for a month depend on what your expenses are will you be staying in an hotel? How about your feeding arrangement? Would you be clubbing occasionally? anyway, 60k is roughly USD400, so do the maths.

Should you need any further assistance please, call: +2348030906158 and I'll be glad to be of help.

keep in touch
  • Hi,
    I got a job offer at Abuja in American Medical Teaching Hospital.Will it be wise to join there.I am offered us $ 6585 per month
  • There is no such hospital in Nigeria, that name is used in fake job scams
  • Taking a short break from my work in Lagos and travelling back to U.S. for a couple of weeks. How can I convert my Naira back into USD? I've heard this can be somewhat difficult due to the exchange rates, etc
  • Nigeria is a lovely place to visit or live in, the people and its diverse culture, the wildlife parks and game reserves. The coastal beaches like you have never seen before. Nigeria is a nation full of abundant resources. For more information and guides about Nigeria email netdoctor_11@hotmail.co.uk. I can provide a chauffeur service and security. The night life is just as safe and bubbly just like anywhere in the world. More information on business and investment please call +(44)2920330336
  • Nigeria is a very peculiar place I.e very welcoming to foreigners. Always wear a smile on your face nothing the people detest more than a cocky expat.
    The average Nigerian is literate and street smart! There are great bars, clubs and restaurants. Abuja is very pretty, think California. Lagos is not so pretty but bursting with life.
    The premiership is avidly followed. Like anywhere else be careful when you head out and have a local guide or friend accompany you. I'm a Nigerian Architect just returned back home after 8 years of
    Working in the UK and live in Lagos. If you ever get stuck in Lagos or need more specific info do give me a call. 08033420911 Ade
  • Hi we've been offered a contract in Port Hortcourt and Akwa Ibom State, we are likely to travel there at the end of this month to sign the contract, How safe is it? can sameone advise us please. We are a England based company five white instructors and one India engineer will be traveling. Please share your experience
  • is there an organization called TCF Foundation? How big is the organization?
  • i got job offer from abuja hotel super b tower. i got offered 9200 USD per month.
    How is this hotel, and should i join or not?
  • Johnny,

I will advise you to have a local meet with you and arrange your trip.
    If it is the first time, I will suggest one of the pack goes first to see and then the pack can join him to sign their contract if you are happy.

Overall, a lot of expatriate community work in the states you mentioned however with security details.
  • i am a indian & i am going to join a company in Abuja . can i invite my girlfriend from indonesia to stay with me there ? what will be the immigration rule for her

regds

Rocky
  • HI, IM IRSH my husband is nigerian, I have being to lagos once before but am returning for three months we will beliving in a apartment in gra. is this safe area? overall I found lagos safe during the last trip
  • There are several G.R.A.s in Lagos. The one in Ikeja is quite safe. Do you know which one you'll be living in?
  • I dont trust the trippointer he might be a scammer!
  • Hi, I'm due to start working in Lagos in a few weeks. I,m from Scotland. I here the cost if living can be high On a salary of N725000/month what can I expect????
  • Hi

Going to Nigeria is safe for any one else but just take enough time and have a local tour operator there to organize a good itinarery and that can also help to take you round the logos as well as other areas in Nigeria.

Global Bush
  • hi. im a girl frm kolkata, india got a job with tolaram group in lagos, nigeria. Is it safe to work in lagos?
  • Abuja & lagos is quite a nice place in w.Africa..With a salary of 200000(naira) or more,u can live here comfortable. ..
    4 more inform u can contct @ chumaboy2010@yahoo.com
  • Iam planning to move to Lagos Nigeria from India, for 2 yrs. I have 2 kids- 9yr old girl and a 1yr old boy. Want information about medical facilities , kids safety, school (is the Indian school good...any idea about the fees there) etc:
  • I work for a BIG company, one of the biggest ones. They advise that no one from the company should go to Nigeria, there is no way it will be allowed. Nigeria is one of the most dangerous places on Earth and people from big companies are taken hostage regularly.
  • I got a job offer from FORTRESS EYE HOSPITAL & MEDICAL CENTRE in ABUJA. How do I verify whether this offer is true & authentic?

Regards

VG
  • what about living cost of abuja? anyone could inform me something about Dana group of company
  • dk - check out our guide to living and working as an expat in Nigeria, including up-to-date info on cost of living prices.
  • @dk
    abuja is a very nice place to stay in nigeria. The cost of living is high compared to other states in nigeria expecially in the area of housing. Food stuff are relatively cheap. You pay as much as $10,000 per annum for a very decent 2-bedroom apartment while serviced 2-bedroom apartment goes for like $15,000 per annum
  • @dk
    Dana group of company is a very big company in nigeria with direct sections. They also own an airline among other things. It depends on the business you have with them but you have to be very careful. there are a lot of scammers so be careful. If you can give me a hint on what you actually want to know, i can help you out with more information
  • @VG
    Whats the content of your employment letter. Give me more details and i will try and help you out.
  • hi
    i am an indian got job offer from toyotanigeria
    can just brief abt this comapny..
    how about the indian population and indian stores in nigeria??
    is it safe to live in nigeria with family??

regds

Manu
  • Hi,
    My name is Olu, and I have been hearing a lot about Lagos and NIgeria as a country from most of you foreigners. You all talk about lagos with scam robbers and all that, let me ask you, IS YOUR COUNTRY CRIME OR SCAM FREE? Tell me which country does not have alll that, and I will tell you the country that has perished in crime, scam, and corruption. Common guys, we are all grown up, and there is no where you won't find all this things around the world. Nigeria is the best place to be. I convinced a friend to come down to Nigeria a year ago after she told me of what people and countries said about Nigeria, this was someone i met online, and I never knew before. She came to Nigeria for the first time, and when she came, I was her tour guide, and I made sure that, SHE WAS SAFE THROUGH OUT AND SHE WENT BACK TO CANADA healthy and safe. I just wanted to proove to the world that Nigeria isnt what they think it is... Nigeria is not what you people think it is, ok. You guys should stop spoiling our country for us. If you dont like Nigeria, then why plan to visit.

Thats all I have to say for now, and for the record, I can be anyone's tour guide...I can take you anywhere and safe..So, if any foreigner is planning a trip to Nigeria, a safe and healthy trip, please don't hesitate to contact me on cute_ray_4u@yahoo.com

I live in the beautiful city of Abuja, and I can be a very good tour guide.l I have had a lot of people come from all over the world and they make me their tour guide. I can take you anywhere, from the cheapest of expensive restaurant to any safe place in Abuja Lagos, as the case may be.

Nigeria is this, NIgeria is that blah blah blah. If you don't find trouble, then trouble won't find you.

Please inform me before you leave your country, and don't forget to check with your embassy when you come into the country. Goodluck

Olu
  • Hi,

Dana group has offered 55000 naira as local salary. Accomodation, Water, Electricity,Transport, House help is being taken care by them.
    How is Dana as a company? Is 55000 N enough for a bachelor for food(vegeterian), Internet surfing.
    Pls help & reply at the earliest
  • Could anyone share the information about Kaduna safety and social life there. I am an Indian and coming to wok there for two years and wonder if there are any Indians there.
    Thanks

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged