Acommodations Cape Town - Safe neighbourhoods for Visitors
  • My husband and I will be visiting Cape Town for the first time in the later part of February 2010. Have read in tour books and on the internet alot of concerns about safety for tourist. All recommend that you stay in good areas for visitors but none seem to spell out which neighbourhoods. For instance, is it okay to stay in the City Bowl area, waterfront, etc. etc.????

We are seniors (age 70 and 66) and want to feel comfortable walking around at night as well as the day. Plan to get most meals in restaurants and do not want to have to take a car everywhere. Ideal for us is to stay central so that we can easily get to most tourist sites, museumns without having to take a car. We would really appreciate any input your have. We are thinking of a self catering 1 bedroom apartment.

Thanks in advance.
  • I would suggest staying in and around the Waterfront. During the day I would feel safe walking around in all the tourist areas for example.city bowl Greenpoint, Seapoint and the V&A Waterfront during both day I personally would not stay out on the streets after Dark. You can get everywhere via taxi that you cant walk. Be street wise and ask at reception for a referred taxi, settle on a price before departing and have the exact amount in cash ready. Do book the Red bus tours on your first couple of days to get an idea of where you would like to explore www.citysightseeing.co.za.
    I hope this is helpful.
  • Hi pdlady
    There are some good pockets in Cape Town, and there's something to suit everyone's pocket. The Waterfront area can be a ittle pricey, especially if you are staying in the major hotels. You can also look at the smaller boutique hotels in the area, such as Villa Zest or Brenwin Guest House (very affordable). Gardens is also a really good part of Cape Town and close to shops and restaurants. It's the suburb just above the city area, and you can walk to Kloof Street and Long Street from there. I agree with Foxtrot about walking after dark, and recommend using taxi services. Do check with your accommodation, as they will have a list of reputable taxis. If you are out after dark, stick to well lit areas and lots of people. Keep your valubles close to you and be vigilant. South Africa does have a poor population, so an expensive camera or unguarded wallet is tempting.
  • I would also recommend De Waterkant, which is close to both Waterfont and Town, has numerous little BnBs and guesthouses. Apart from the historic city centre, and Long Street, Cape Town is not really ideal for exploring on foot so find a taxi company, or even a specific taxi driver and use them to get around.
  • Thanks to everyone on the great tips.

I am currently looking at an apartment to rent on Park Rd Tamboerskloof area. Is this a good area????

pdlady
  • pdlady - Tamboerskloof is a great area, one of the very best and safest and places to live in the city, and Park Rd is conveniently located. Good choice! Here is some more context on the residential areas of Cape Town.
  • We go to Cape Town every year, but with similar fears stay mostly away from the centre of town. The prettiest spots on down on the Southern Peninsula anyway, and the tourist elements near the harbour we normally do as a day excusion into town. Then for the rest of your time, you can peacefully relax in safety by the warmer beaches.
    We have a 2 bedroomed, fully furnished apartment located right on Fish Hoek beach in Cape Town, with spectacular views of the beachfront right across the road. Discounts are given for longer rental periods. Check our website for more details. http://www.moonlittide.co.za/
  • The centre of Cape Town is in fact one of the safest areas in the metropole, with good security, and CCTV monitoring of the main roads like Long Street. I would stay here if you want to be close to the action, but not if you are sensitive to noise.
  • I'm 19 and travelling to Cape Town for the first time in February on a gap year - I'm working in District Six Museum for a month, and I was just wondering is it safe? I know I have to be cautious obviously but just wondering about general safety in the area, as have heard mixed reports.
  • Pippa, the comments above kind of answer your question pretty well, but I would add the museum itself is directly opposite Cape Town Central police station, which helps with safety a bit. The centre of town where you are working is a low-crime zone, you are pretty safe. The more important thing to consider is where you will be living, and how you commute. Have you sorted accommodation yet?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion