Roses, Costa Brava.
  • My mother and her sister (77 and 82 yrs old but still quite fit and active) are considering a coach holiday to Roses in August 2010 which includes excursions to Barcelona and Girona. Most of the tourist info I have found seems to suggest that the attractions and facilities in Roses require quite a bit of steep walking or beach/water activities. Could anyone tell me if there are local places of interest (historical buildings, shops, gardens etc. which are easily accessible and suitable for two giggling pensioners on another adventure!
  • Could anyone tell me if there are local places of interest (historical buildings, shops, gardens etc. which are easily accessible and suitable for two giggling pensioners on another adventure!

Hi Sian,
    For two 'giggling pensioners on another adventure' I would recommend Cascais or Estoril which are very nearby Lisbon in Portugal. No steep walking there and it's a good value for money destination. Beautiful environs as well - Sintra, for example.
    If I can help please don't hesitate to get in touch.
    Best wishes,
    Maria
  • The main part of Roses town is flat, but the town stretches up the hills behind. As you go around the bay towards Empuriabrava it's also flat but with good views of the mountains. Roses has it's own ciutadella fortifications and there are a lot of castles around (Peralada, Castello d'Emporda). There is shopping in Roses, but you also have Figueres close for the Dali museum and shops, and if you have transport, Cadaques and Port Ligat aren't far. If it's a hotel near the beach you'll be OK. If it's a villa in the hills it will be more difficult.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• 3S January 2010
  • Guest January 2013