Just booked!
  • Hi, we (3 girls to celebreate a 40th birthday) have just booked a week in the Hotel Phenicia in Hammamet. Read most of the comments already posted about Tunisia and already understand that it is quiet, this suits us perfectly as we are planning on relaxing and getting pampered (massage etc).

However, we are all interested in local history of the places we visit and would like to know if there are any places of interest which we could visit. This could be small traditional villages, historic sites etc etc. Any advice given would be greatly apprecited.

Also, mid May, what should we expect from the weather? Seem to get the impression it's going to be low 20's during the day and that this will drop off to circa 12 at night, is this correct?

Feedback welcome.
  • Hi there Saz - what a great way to celebrate! Hammamet can be quite lively so you will be able to go out and have a party if you want. Try the local hammam if you want to have the best steam bath/massage ever.

Hammamet is in the Cap Bon region and has lovely weather, warmer in winter and a little cooler than the interior in summer, so you will have warm days and hopefully not too cool evenings in mid May and yes your impression is correct.

there is so much history in this country that it could take you months, but I suggest the following for you all - of course you should visit the medina, the old city where you will find winding streets, the old souqs and the usual souvenir shops. You should also visit the Kasbah which is the most beautiful building. There are quite a few tour companies who offer day tours to Berbere villages and I can recommend doing this. You could also consider going to Tunis, the capital and see Carthage although this would be a very long day - but absolutely worth it. Take a taxi to Yasmine Hammamet, a new purpose built tourist area, but very beautiful, quiet and clean. Take a louage to Nabeul (my personal fave city)is more Andalusian in feel and they produce the most wonderful pottery. In the old Medina there are some fantastic shops and coffee houses just as they were centuries ago. Opposite the entrance to the souk there is a very beautiful coffee house and I can certainly recommend the coffee and pastries there. For the best beach in the world spend a day at Kelibia and find El-Mansourah, you will feel that you are alone only overshadowed by the large fort. Kerkouane is also a very interesting village to visit and I believe it is the best preserved Carthagian city. You can take a louage there and walk about 1.5 km to the site.

If you want more please ask and I wish you a very happy celebration

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion