Best form of currency to use in South Africa?
  • Traveling to south Africa next month and wonder if it's best to get travelers checks or convert us dollars to Rands prior to leaving.
  • My experience has been that travelers checks are not worth the hassle. Crime is a concern for many tourists so i would not convert my money into Rand before coming either. Bring your ATM card and withdraw money as needed as ATMs are readlily available all over. Some back up funds in travelers checks could be useful in emergencies but i wouldnt rely on it as your main source of spending money.
  • If someone is telling you that cash is the only accepted form of aayment in Sub Saharan africa do you believe them?

I am told that ATM are not very easy to find
  • HI I WEN TO SOUTH AFRICA IN APRIL, WE HAD FAMILY THERE SO WE NEW WEAR TO GO N WEAR NOT TO.
    TRAVALERS CHEQUES R HARD TO EXCHANGE. ATM MACHINES EVERYWEAR EVEN @ 99% OF PETROL STATIONS. TAKE SUM RANDS N OUR POUNDS. BUT JUSS DONT CARRY IT ALL TOGETHER, (I WAS TOLD IF U GOT MUGGED IT ALL WOULDNT GO BUT LUCKLY WE DIDNT EXPERENCE THAT) THE BEST WAS A ATM CARD FROM TRAVEL AGENTS BUT PUT ALOT OF MONEY ON EXPENSIVE OUT THER AND IF U WANT TO TOP UP IT CAN TAKE UP TO 4 TO 5 DAYS AND DER IS A CHARGE THE SECOND TIME.
  • Great English Zara...
  • If you travel to South AFrica, any form of money is widely accepted: travelers cheques are easy to change, ATMs are everywhere, as are bureaux de change, and banks will also change currency and give advnaces on credit cards. Best bet is an ATM card or Travel wallet via Visa/Mastercrd.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion