Self drive tips for Drakensberg and Blyde River Canyon
  • Evening all,

My first time posting so looking forward to what this site has to offer. SA is one country on our round the world trip and looking at the cost of travel and tours, I think it makes sense to hire a car. What I'm looking for is some advice on a couple of the planned destinations from those in the know to work out how practical this is.

1. Drakensberg
    Plan is to head inland from Durban via Pietermaritzburg and head up into the Drakensberg. We want to spend a couple of days in the Royal Natal National Park and then do the Giants Cup Trail.

2. Blyde River Canyon
    Plan is to drive from Pretoria over to Graskop and base ourselves in a suitable backpackers place for a few days. We then want to do a few self-drive tours of the area to avoid paying for expensive tours.

Can anyone help with advice, routes and info on how feasible it is to do all this by road with sat nav but no knowledge of the local area. Also, is it safe to drive these areas alone? Don't mean that in a paranoid "SA is dangerous" way but it pays to ask the question.

Are there any special insurances, permits etc that I would need as a UK license holder to drive in SA?

Any help gratefully received.

cheers
    james
  • Trust the British... you guys driving says "keep left", so I think u are safe in South Africa. You may just need an International Licence though, I think u can apply for that, dont know how & where though (oops).

Its the way to go, u must have done your homework well. Its Kranskop, not "gran... Anyway, driving around in a place is never easy if u dont know it well. I would suggest you get friends to move around with or maybe just a cheap cell phone and keep in touch. I live in Pietermaritzburg & could accomodate u, if I am told in good time...

Safe travelling amanda@mandamoira.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion