Mauritius cyclone warning?
  • Ive booked a last minute family holiday to mauritius and am now worried about the cyclone.We go on 13th Jan. Also would it be better to change money here in uae or when we get there. Can anyone advise on both of these issues i would greatly appreciate someones help - I dont want to get caught in a cyclone in Mauritius!
  • Cyclones and tropical storms can occur, but they are impossible to predict more than a week in advance. I wouldn't worry too much - it is rare for flights to be cancelled and the last serious storm was in 1975. As for currency, I suggest at the airport on arrival - but take some US dollars with you in $20 notes in case you need to pay for taxi or buy meals etc.
  • The cyclone threat has dissipated and is no longer considered significant.
    With regard money to major credit cards and travellers cheques are widely accepted.
    The banks at the airport open to coincide with arrivals and departures of international flights.
    Usual banking hours Mon - thurs 09.15am to 3.15pm or till 3.30pm on Friday.
    In tourist areas open on Sat. from 9.15 to 11.15.
    Hotels will offer exchange facilities but best rates available from banks. There are ATMs on the island to withdraw cash on your credit card but this is an expensive way to change money. Suggest doing the exchange on arrival in Airport, when I was last there the exchange for sterling was just slightly higher than I was able to obtain in banks in the UK.
  • Hi

I am thinking of booking a holiday to Mauritius in Jan 2010 for my 40th.

Can anyone advice on which part of the Island is better - weather wise, golfing, swimming.

many thanks
  • Chris - have you seen the Word Travels guide to Mauritius - it has plenty of travel info to help you plan your trip:
    http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/Countries/Mauritius
  • I dont know about any cyclone warnings in Mauritius, but I can say that the weather can be very variable and if you go in the off-season or 'shoulder' seasons the weather can be bad. I went there in October and it was mostly overcast and windy. My brother went to Mauritius in April and had quite alot of rain. In general the West of Mauritius is more sheltered and has better weather than the East... where all the best hotels are!
  • WAS IN MAURITIUS LATE MARCH FOR THREE WEEKS, FIRST WEEK FLOODED COULD NOT LEAVE BELLE MARE FOR 5 DAYS AS ALL ROADS WERE IMPASSIBLE, BUT THE SUN SOON RETURNS AND LOCALS CAN REFLOAT THERE BOATS, SO AM GOING BACK THERE SAME TIME NEXT YEAR SO HOPE MORE LUCK
  • PLANNING ON GOING TO MAURITIUS MID DECEMBER. SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT CYCLONES?
  • I'm going to mauritius in December,what type of clothing do you recommend?
  • having read the weather reports for off season i am getting a bit worried about it as we are going in july,can anyone comment
  • Planning to go to Mauritius in mid Feb please let me know about weather and exchange rate for our rands and also let me know if it is easy to find money exchange
  • Hello curious,

there is a cyclone that may hit with 100mph + winds on the 22nd to 24th of February.

Hope that is not when you're going!
  • i am going to a hotel near Port louie this friday the 12th march 2010. Having checked the weather over the past couple of weeks i was shocked to see that it is rain, rain and rain! someone please put me out of my misery and tell me it is hot, hot hot! i thought it was supposed to be the summer then!
  • is there any warnings that a cyclone is going to occur and what are they ? i need tha anwser now i need it for my job please halp me

many thx to u
  • Hi, I am going to mauritius in September on honeymoon with my gorgeous new wife of 2 days on arrival, we are going to the north, what is the climate then and what is the best currency to take, or is sterling traveller cheques ok.

Many thanks
    GP

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged