Egypt, Sinai & Jordan Visa
  • We are Canadian citizens and will travel to Cairo, Egypt in September, then by plane to Luxor, then to the Sinai Peninsula to Sharm El Sheikh and Taba Heights. From Taba Heights we want to take a day trip to Petra via ferry.
    We understand we can prepurchase an Egyptian Visa while in Canada or purchase one at the airport in Cairo. Do we need an additional Visa to travel to the Sinai Peninsual. What is required for the day trip to Petra? Is there any problem re-entering Egypt after going to Petra?
    Thank you for your assistance.
  • Taffy - you can get your visa for Egypt before you travel but you do not need any additional visa to go to the Sinai. You will need a visa for Petra as it is in another country - Jordan and no there will be no problems re-entering Egypt after your trip. by the way - this is more than a day trip!!! You actually can't get a ferry to Petra!! You can go by ferry to Aqaba and then it's about a 3 hour drive to Petra. This depends on where you catch the ferry from and if it actually leaves at the time it states. Sometimes the timetable says the ferry leaves at 9.00 a.m. but it can be at 9.00 p.m.!! Petra is one of the most beautiful sites in all of Jordan but it takes more than a few hours to see it all. You should think about staying for at least 2 days and if you are going in the heat then I suggest that you start your visit as early as possible - 7.30 a.m. and return to the hotel for a rest around lunch time. I have been to Petra many, many times and I think I know it pretty well and I can assure you that seeing just a tiny piece of it will take you at least 2 days.
  • Thank you so much for your reply, it was very helpful. We were going to go with Memphis tours who pick us up from our hotel in Taba and arrange for all transportation. We leave at 4 or 5 in the morning and return about 11 at night. We realize it is a long day but chose this option as we don't need to make the travel arrangements ourselves.
    See this page for a full guide to Jordan: http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/Countries/Jordan

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged