Getting from Skanes to Matmata
  • Hi there please can someone help? I am going to Skanes in August and am also booking 1 night in the Sidi Driss in Matmata, I will also be taking my wife and 3 children and am worried about the distance. I think it's about 400km is that correct?

I assume the best way would be train or hire car but not sure???? What sort of cost/availability is a hire car for 2 days??? Thanks and hope you can help. Darren
  • Darrenparr - it is a long way from Skanes to Matmata and can take you quite a few hours. With 3 children in two I would suggest you take a hire car and drive yourself. This way you can at least take a picnic with you and stop for the kids to stretch their legs (and you also). I'm not sure if there is a train to Matmata. There are buses but you would need to get to Tunis and take the bus from there. However - you may be able to ask your hotel to organise a driver/shuttle for you. It should be reasonable and will save you from the stress of driving. Car hire in Tunisia is expensive and it sounds like you will need a larger rather than small car. In peak season - August - you can pay anywhere from TD70.000 ++ per day.
  • Hi there Lesley. Many thanks for your help. Are the roads safe enough and well signposted if I was to drive myself?

Also will the hotel speak English if I was to call them to book a cave/room.......

Thanks so much, Darren
  • Hi Darren,

I'm glad you found the information useful. I have to be honest and tell you that the roads are not good although they are very well signposted. You can only drive quite slowly and you need to have eyes in the back of your head lol!! However, I drive here and if I can then anyone can! You do get used to dodging sheep, goats, pedestrians and the odd errant driver. The hotel should have someone there who can speak English. Otherwise get in touch with a local travel agent who will be able to book for you.

I hope you enjoy yourselves.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged