Libyan Tourist Visa
  • I want to travel to Libya to visit husband who is working there. His company do not want to sponsor and I have been told it would be best to apply for tourist visas for children and myself. Can anyone recommend where I may be able to do this? Am located in the UK (Hampshire).
  • Hi - I suggest you take a look through our Libya expatriate guide starting with the pages on Visas and work permits for Libya expats.

There is plenty more information at: http://www.expatarrivals.com/libya/moving-to-libya
  • Hi Sevenseas - the visa rules for entry to Libya are just changing - Mr Gadaffi would like to make it easier for tourists to visit, however, you should check with the embassy in London to ensure that you have up to date information. I don't know why the company will not assist with a sponsored visa for you and the children. Is it one of the oil companies? If it is then you should press them to do this and it should have been part of the assignment contract that you get visits to see your husband.

The tourist visa may be problematic for you as the only way for a foreigner to have a tourist visa is to be in touch with a licenced travel agent in Libya. they will organise the visa for you, however, they may be willing to only do that for you and perhaps organise some transport to your husband.

Good luck and I hope you manage to get there
  • Hi there, thank you for your replies. Husband is working in construction not oil. They told him I need to organise visas independently but will ask him to go back to them/get advice from colleagues.
  • sevenseas - I think the company should be able to assist. It is not a big deal for them, good luck!!
  • WE ARE GOING TO TRIPOLI AT THE END OF MARCH AND WONDERED WHAT CLOTHING WE NEED FOR BOTH MALE AND FEMALE.THE TRIP IS AS TOURISTS.
  • kenny, END OF MARCH is superb ---- slightly nippy after 5pm, you may want to use a jacket during the evenings and early mornings
  • Kenny - ladies should dress more modestly than perhaps they do at home. It helps to avert some of the attention given to females and will make her feel more comfortable. For men it's not such a problem although I would advise perhaps not wearing short shorts!

Tripoli is a wonderful city and I am sure you are going to enjoy it. Make sure you allow yourself lots of hours in the old city and for wandering the souq
  • In light of the current political unrest, you should reconsider your visit.
    Hopefully your travel organiser will advise you further.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged