Best currency for Turkey?
  • There's lots of lovely strolling and bars/cafes to visit in Side! A peaceful yet happening place at the same time :o) Quite a hippyish feel to it for want of a better description plus all the ancient sites to wander around.
  • Sorry Luciana am not very familiar with Alanya having only visited briefly on a couple of occasions - My husband's uncle lives just outside! But on the whiz through we did there did seem to be some lively clubs, bars etc
  • Hi I am travelling to Belek on 1st July staying at the riu kaya belek. We have never been to turkey before but have been told Belek is a lovely resort! can you tell me is it far from the town and I am also taking two 17yr olds does it have much nightlife, not that I want too much off it myself!!!!
  • hi clare we r coming to antalya next week and staying at the sea life resort hotel, have we made a good choice?
  • Sea Life is just down the road to me (so to speak!) It is opposite Konyaalti Beach and on a good crossroads to a lot of places. The beach is not sandy but has reasonable facilities - showers, changing cabins, toilets and several nice bars. We use the beach a lot.
    I have never stayed at the hotel so can't comment at all - sorry. You are on a good bus route into Antalya itself, plus the Kemer bus route. You have lots of little eateries within very easy walking distance plus a very nice fish restaurant across the road. If you look a bit earlier in this forum I have detailed a lot of places to someone asking about the Crowne Plaza and this is in the same area.
    Weather is picking up nicely so have a great time :o)
  • Hi,

Not sure if it's okay to add onto this but here goes. :o/

We're going to Side at the end of June, staying at the Merve Park Apts. Least I think they're in Side, that's all the search comes up with and the destination is Antalya so I'm assuming it's the same ones. (My other half booked the hol but didn't see any pics.)

What's the best currency to take to this destination (I know the first post asks about currency but they were going somewhere else.) If the answer's the same, sorry, lol.

Also wondered if anyone knows of these apartments. I've done a search and read some reviews. One says the pool is rather small, not bothered about that, but some of the pictures show a large pool.
    I guess when it comes down to it we'll have to wait and see.

About the Visa into Turkey. I've read this should be in cash, which currency though?

Thanks for any help.. Lindyyy
  • Hi Lindyyy

Visa cash is a good old English tenner (each). Make sure the note isn't torn or defaced - sometimes they can be a bit sniffy!!! Or it's 15 Euro depending where you're from of course.

Sorry don't know your accommodation but Side is lovely. Also one man's tiny pool is another man's ocean!! Some people expect everywhere to have slides, flumes etc and apartment accomodation doesn't have these - Personally as long as I can cool off in the pool the size really doeasn't matter.

Currency is the same as in earlier posts. Good rates of exchange here at the moment.

Side is in Antalya province so that's probably why you're confused! The whole coast tends to be called Antalya!!!

Weather is heating up now - 36degC today!!!! Lovely for those on holiday not so nice to be working in it!

Most of all have a great time :o)
  • Ahhh thanks Claire, I really appreciate your help.

Have to say I've read the whole thread so didn't really need to ask, sorry.. lol.

I'm not bothered about the size of the pool either, just the pictures I saw differed. We've got this holiday for next to nothing so if the place is clean and the staff are nice I'll be well happy. It's my first visit to Turkey and after reading this thread I'm even more excited.

36 degrees? Crikey!! I'm from the UK so not used to that, hope it'll not be too hot for us. Air con at the ready.. :o)

Just one more thing. You mentioned in an earlier post about people receiving unwanted attention from the local men but that some of them wear next to nothing to go shopping. I'd never dream of going shopping in my bikini but would shorts and t-shirt be acceptable?

Thanks again for all the invaluable advice you've given, over the whole thread; and to all the others. Roll on 27th June.

Regards, Lindyyy
  • Hi Lindyyy

Apartments in Turkey are generally basic but clean. Usually a kitchen/sitting room and one bedroom. The kitchen genrally consists of a 2 ring electric hob, fridge, utensils, fridge and a kettle. it's well worth loading up the fridge with drinks and snacks. OK you may not be allowed to bring your own drinks etc around the pool but you can always nip back to the apartment for one - really saves the money to spend outside!!

Air con usually isn't included in the package but payable locally as is a safe. If you're here for 2 weeks worth trying to get a reduction on the weekly price!!! I can't stress the importance of a safe especially if you are bringing cash with you. Also saves the last minute scramble of trying to remember the safe place you put your passports, tickets etc.

Yep 36deg today so make sure you drink plenty of water. Worth bringing some lira with you to buy it as soon as you get here. Oh and sun cream is expensive here so bring it with you but remember to put it in your hold baggage unlike one poor lady I saw who had to dump all hers at the security check in the UK.

T shirt and shorts are fine as long as your bottom isn't hanging out the shorts lol or the t shirt so small it should really be called a bra!! Lots of girls go out and about in such skimpy clothes they may as well not bother. Beleive you I have seen things only their doctors should see lol!!

I'm sure you'll have a great time :o)
  • Thanks Claire,

We'll definitely be investing in air con. and a safe (we always get a safe)

Thanks for the info on the suntan lotion. I used to put mine in my hand luggage but I guess with all those erm, security threats it's not allowed any more.

As for clothing, I'm not one for flaunting myself though I have to say I've seen some sites in my time, lol, and I wouldn't look half as bad as those.. :P

Many thanks again..

Take care.. :o)
  • Hi Claire,

Glad to hear that the weather is nice and hot, makes me long for my trip to come around much sooner!

I hear that the Ziraat bank is generally good for exchanging currency.
    I have found an address of a Ziraat bank in Antalya. Could you please tell me if this would be the old town Kaleci? and is it easy to find once one is there?
    Regards
  • Hi Tig

I wouldn't worry too much about looking for that exact bank - most banks offer very much the same rate. There are plenty of exchange offices dotted around as well. All these display the rate for that day. Exchange offices have the rates in lights in the window. Most banks have a screen inside so you can check. Look for Satis which means sell. Quite often the PTT gives a very favourable rate - look for the yellow PTT signs.
  • I was going to splash out on some new adidas trainers for my holiday and somebody told me the markets sell fake ones,has anybody bought any? Are they any good and how much?
    thanks
  • I haven't tried the fakes but at the moment there are loads of good deals on the real things here! I got Converse on buy one get one free but they had to be the same size. A decent pair of trainers here are around 100lira at teh moment in some places. Worth shopping around. If the market ones are cheap enough buy a pair at the start of your holiday and give them a good testing. Then you'll know if they are worth buying.
  • hi,i am going turkey bodrum from 23rd til 30th june. i am converting £100 and taking a further £200. is that going to last me a week? i will be site seeing, doing excursions, and enjoying the nigth life. i will be eating out, my apartment is self catered which is paid for! any advice would be good. reading the last few pages means i will convert the rest of my pounds in to liras in turkey!
  • Good idea to exchange about £100 before you go - it saves you looking for somewhere the first few days. Many of the shops that sell excursions in Gumbet also offer money exchange services. I do recommend though that you take an ATM card or credit card in case you run short of money.
    I know a boat trip costs around £10-12 for the day. Lunch is included but not drinks which you settle up for at the end of the trip. Not sure of prices this year in Gumbet for food and drinks. A useful tip is to walk up the road past the Windmill at the main crossroads as though you are heading out of Gumbet towards the main road. There are lots of cheap very good local restaurants along here. Much cheaper than eating in the main tourist area of Gumbet.
    I would also suggest catching the dolmus up to carrefour to stock your fridge in the apartment with juices, soft drinks and snacks. I have always found that the couple of drinks by the pool in the morning, then a couple more in the afternoon soon add up! Much cheaper to nip back to your apartment and have a drink from a litre bottle that's cost less than the price of one drink at the bar.
    What sight seeing do you intend doing? I think a trip to Ephesus is around £30 a head but please don't quote me on that. Otherwise there's lots to see in and around Bodrum using local dolmus (buses).
    If you could scrape together a little more it may be worth it especially as air conditioning and safes are payable locally. Usually around £25 a week for the aircon although it depends on your accomodation.
    There are several easily accesible ATMs in Gumbet and banks up on the main road or in Bodrum.
    Have a great time :o)
  • im budgeting £40 a day which is around 99 liras a day. i can strech all the way to £300 but have read that ATM machines are unsafe and chew the card!!! air conditioning i will have to see once im there!! as i will be out enjoying the lovely country! all in i think an excursion, boat trip, 3 meals and enjoying the nigth life is what i will be doing. thanks for the quick reponse!
  • You can live on that much but maybe consider th odd meal in your apartment. I personally never have problems witht he ATMs - if you do need to use one and are worried head into Bodrum and use one attached to a bank during opening hours then if there is a problem you can get it sorted then and there.
    Maybe take a bottle with you duty free and enjoy a sundowner or 2 before hitting the town!!!
  • Hello, I'm going to alanya on the 2nd of june. I am going with 15 people which 8 of us are lads and we wanted to know if there was any night clubs there, were staying at the tuna apartments if that helps. Thanks jake
  • Hello, I'm going to alanya on the 2nd of june. I am going with 15 people which 8 of us are lads and we wanted to know if there was any night clubs there, were staying at the tuna apartments if that helps. Thanks jake
  • I am going to Olu Deniz at the end of june can you tell me what currancey to take becuase when I ask anyone here I get a different answer. Thanks in advance
  • am going to altinkum in august do u think it will be eaiser just to get turkish lira over here? and do u think i will be able to get a birthday cake made for my friend cos it wil be her 21st over there cheers for any help!
  • Jake - sorry I'm just a bit older than you :op so am not really au fait with the club situation but believe there is quite a vibrant night life an Alanya.

danDan - take a small amount of lira for your first day or so - about £100 each then exchange once there. Still a better rate in Turkey than the UK. As for a cake you can buy quite fancy cakes in most supermarkets bakery section and some do offer a personalisation service. Look out for a Pastane or Pastalar - cake shops/patisseries. They will certainly have cakes. Or if you appraoch a restaurant that you use frequently they may well do a birthday celebration for you. If you want something written on the cake I suggest you take whatever message you want written out on paper for the staff. Good luck with the cake and have a great holiday :o)

Fred - again take about £100 exchanged into lira before you go then take GBP with you. Do not worry about changing GBP to lira in the UK. GBP is widely accepted and can be exchanged easily. If you have a quick look through previous posts people have suggested where to exchange etc (NOT your hotel!!! always a really bad rate of exchange).
  • Hi clare, I'm going to alanya same time as jake, i am a smoker and wondered if it would be better to buy 200 fags from the airport or buy them there? do you have any idea which is cheaper? thanks
  • Hiya
    If you really only smoke one brand then buy them at duty free but if you are happy to try local brands then they are much cheaper here.
    Prices are as follows (well those I know about)
    Winston, L&M are 5.5 lira a packet (about £2.20)
    Marlboro are more I think about 6.5 or 7 lira (around £3)
    There are several very acceptable Turkish brands - Muratti (normal and light or Tone as named here) are 5.5 lira and I think Pall Mall are the same as well.
    Parliament are around 7 lira a pack.
    Rolling tobacco is better bought duty free though.
    Brands such as Benson and Hedges, lambert and Butler, Embassy are not available here (or if you are offered them are likely to be either illegal or fakes!)
    So unless you are a stickler to only 1 brand it's far cheaper to buy here.
    Remember though that Turkey is not EU so you can only take 200 back with you. Coming out though you can buy as duty free or the plane from the Uk then buy more at the duty free here as you land.
    Have a great holiday :o)
  • Hi,

Im off to Alanya on Monday morning. I know Turkey isnt EU but do you still use an EU 2pin plug or is it different?
    Thanks
  • Yes it's the same as the EU 2 pin.

Have a great holiday!
  • Hi,

Were off to Marmaris at the end of July on our first holiday away for 2 weeks. Looking through other peoples comments, is Marmaris the same as most places here on the currency front i.e. bring a small amount of lira and the rest GBP?

Also how much do you recommend we take, we are half board but heard different stories on how much money to bring with us?

Thanks,

Ben
  • Hi Ben

Yes the answer to the currency question is the same ;o)

How much? Hmmmm depends what you want to do. I assume you have got evening meal at your hotel so will just need a snack midday so budget around £4 each for food a day - but again depends on what you eat. alcohol though is getting very expensive here - a beer can be anything from 5 lira upwards depending on where you are having it.

Are you intending doing any trips? Hiring a car...... etc etc

Plenty of ATMs around and Visa and Mastercard accepted in most places.

Give me a bit more of a clue what you will be doing and how much you intend taking!!!
  • Thanks Clare,

I have heard that the alcohol is getting expensive, especially in the hotels.

We will be doing some trips yes, maybe hiring bikes or quads for a day or 2 also.

I imagine we will be out for a drink at night also.

Would £1600 between us be enough in your opinion?

Thanks
  • In my opinion it would be more than enough!!! Take along some plastic just in case - always useful for buying duty free. be sure to have a safe in your hotel to keep the money in along with your passports and return tickets. it's worth photocopying your passport and carrying the photocopy as you're actually supposed to carry I.D. at all times. if you want to hire quad bikes or mopeds remember your driving license.

Most of all have a great holiday!
  • Hey, heading to Alaiye resort and spa just outside Antalya. All Inclusive. Already exchanged £300 into Lira, thankfully got the staff rate from a friend at the bank, also bringing GBP, looking to buy clothes at the markets etc. Any body have any idea if there are any good restaurants around this area?

Thanks
  • Thanks for the info Clare, much appreciated
  • Hi im going to Colaki staying at Monachus park AI for two weeks in August with the family. Can you suggest trips and days out that would be enjoyable? Thank you
  • Hi StephM

First of all looks as though you have made an excellent choice of hotel - I personally don't know the hotel but revies I have read have been great.

The hotel is in Manavgat so a very short way from Side - I love Side and was there on Monday. Take the time to just wander and enjoy a drink overlooking the sea and the Temple of Apollo. Boat trips also run from Side harbour - haven't ever been on one though.

If you like ancient sites book a trip to Aspendos and Perge. Both well worth a visit.

Trips into the mountains can also provide a welcome relief from the beach and pool.

depends what you like doing really!! But do take time to explore Side.
  • Hi Jordan
    Alaiye is actually nearer to Alanya than Antalya - still in Antalya province but over 100km from Antalya itself.

Good idea to have some lira already exchanged as you will have a comfort break on your transfer which can be more than a couple of hours from Antalya airport.

I really don't know Alanya as I live the other side of Antalya!

Sorry not to be of more help
  • Hi, I have just booked our family holiday to Antalya Turkey. We are staying in the Alara Kum Hotel. Do you know anything about this hotel? I cann't find any information on trip advisor. This is our first visit to Turkey and not sure if we need injections. Can you give any advice? I have exchanged most of our spending money into Turkish lira as the exchange rate was good. Was this a good idea or would I have been better just taking English pounds?
    Any information or advice you can give us would be greatly appreciated.
    Grace.
  • Hi Grace
    Tha Alara Kum is nearer to Alanya than Antalya itself. I found this website http://www.altid.org.tr/en/Hotels/h,141-Alara-Park-Hotel.html which also gives general information about Alanya as well. It is in the Incekum area which has a sandy beach.
    As you have changed your money do not lose out by changing it back in the UK!! If the exchange rate wa good then you may have the advantage. It's always a gamble. Bring along some English money if you have it in your budget and plastic (Visa, Mastercard) for any must have purchases.
    As long as your usual vaccinations are up to date there is no need for any more. Often GP surgeries recommend various innoculations but remember this is now not a free service - they get money for it! As with all travel make sure your tetanus is up to date for everyone. There is no need for malaria prevention either. The tourist areas in Turkey are very modern.
    Remember to have £10 per person in English money for your tourist visa as you enter the country. It is better to have a £10 note for each passport/person. £5 notes are certainly not accepted neither are torn or defaced notes. Sometimes they will accept a £20 for 2 people but you really don't want a jobsworth official being a pain so to be on the safe side have the tenner each ready. You buy the visa at the airport before you go through passport control - just follow the crowds!
    Alanya is around 100km from the airport so you will have a comfort break on the transfer so it's good you already have Turkish money. The transfer depending on where else you drop off before your hotel can be anything upwards of a couple of hours.
    If you want to book any excursions book them through local tour shops rather than your travel rep. The reps get commision and will tell you that you're not insured etc. but if you have holiday insurance you will be covered except for some dangerous sports! The prices locally can be up to 50% cheaper for the exact same trip.
    There are mosquitos here but most local councils spray the streets regularly. If you are a victim of these little blighters make sure you keep your windows/doors closed in the evening. The local repellents are really good and the cream sold in pharmacies (Eczane) is far better than anything I have ever brought from the UK.
    Pharmacies are really good here for all ailments many drugs only available on prescription in the UK are sold over the counter including anti biotics! The pharmacy is the first port of call if you are unwell.
    You won't need it but it's nice to know that hospital and medical care is excellent here.
    Buy bottled water - the tap water is perfectly safe but not very palatable. So cleaning teeth in it etc is fine.
    Sun cream is very expensive here so take advantage of all the offers in the UK but remember to put it in you hold luggage not hand luggage! Buy some high factor as the sun is very strong and already the temperatures are in the 30s. Hats are a good idea as well plus lightweight cover ups.
    Turkay is amazingly family friendly. Children are welcomed everywhere and made a fuss of. This is very normal and there is nothing sinister about it. The Turks love children and treat them like little princes or princesses. Don't be surprised if a shopkeeper gives your children a small boncuk on a safety pin. This is the protection against the evil eye.
    Hope this has given you some information. Please don't hesitate to shout if you have anything else to ask.
    I'm sure you'll have a lovely time
  • Hi Clare,
    Thanks for all the info and handy tips. Very much appreciated.
    Grace.
  • Hi Clare

Your comments are so informative and useful! Do you know anything about Dalyan? Myself and my mum and sister are staying there in 3 weeks. We are planning on going to a beach where turtles nest and a Turkish bath but i wonder if you have anymore intelligence about the area? My mum and sister are also staying 2 weeks and myself only 1 so i need to get to Dalaman airport alone - am i safe to get a local taxi (we are staying in a villa so can't book through a hotel) or do you have any other suggestions as to the best mode of transport? We are also all blonde and fair...and worried about cremating in August! Is it unbearable during the day and does it still get cooler on the evening or will it be hot all night too?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Lauren
  • I am not very familiar with Dalyan only having visited briefly!

But answers to your general questions - have a look at airport transfers on the internet. If you Google Dalaman transfers you should get some results. I've never had problems in taxis here at all. All are registered and on a meter but could be worth asking to do it for a fixed price - you may find you "adopt" a taxi driver in the week you are here. Another option is to ask at one of the tour shps if they do transfers and then compare the prices. It is worth during your stay asking around for transfers. I found one company http://www.dalamantransfers.com/ - can't comment personally on them but worth a look.

Hmmm blonde and fair - I know the feeling!! I tend to hit the beach either first thing until about 10.30/11 or about 4 in the afternoon. My main advice is take it easy! Use plenty of high factor cream all the time. Bring sun cream from the UK as it's very expensive here. If you do run out buy more from the bigger supermarkets (Migros, Tansas, Carrefour etc) not smaller shops as it may (but only may be fake) or from a pharmacy (Eczane). Make sure you drink plenty of water as well - when you feel thristy it's too late! Stock up your fridge in the villa with lots of nice fruit juices available here - they cherry juice (Visne) is lovely with a little tot of vodka as a sundowner ;o). If you can bring some light cover up. I've seen them in Tesco (Kipa) here. It will help protect you.

Don't try to plan to do too much as the heat is sometimes overwhelming. A boat trip is usually a good way to relax and actually feel cooler out on the sea but do be careful as the sun is still as strong!!

I'm sure you'll have a great time.
  • hi there i am going to turkey very soon and i was wandering that is the clothes out in turkey very cheap and are there real makes or are they fakes of clothes? and is 150 english pounds be enough for a 17 year old for 2 weeks? many thanks
  • Yes the clothes especially the fakes can be bought cheaply I sometimes wonder if they aren't seconds as a lot of companies have their clothing made here.

Where are you staying? Is the £150 just for spending on clothes?

If you have to buy meals etc you may need a bit more 2 weeks!!
  • We're going to Kumlub
  • Yep the currency tips are the same!!!

Blooming hot!!!! That's August for you! Today was 38 deg C in Antalya and it seems most of the south coast is the same. Bring lots of high factor sun tan cream and make sure you drink plenty of water. Avoid the sun between 11 and 3.30!! It really is so strong then. Already I am not hitting the beach until after 4.

Don't know Turunc very well at all. You can get a water taxi into Marmaris for shopping, banks etc. You're about 25km by road from Marmaris itself - there is a dolmus (bus) that runs the route. Turunc is the site of the ancient sity of Amos half an hours walk from Turunc but I guess in the heat you son't want to walk it!!!

Hope you have a lovely holiday :o)
  • hi just a quick question where is the best place to shop as i will be staying at the royal wings hotel lara beach all-inclusive, with my daughters,grand-daughter and son (by the way age ranges from 4yr, 17yrs to adults)
    Not been before therefore am a little apprehensive.
    Any tips greatfully received.

Pam
  • Hi thanks very much for your comments - we will come armed with plenty of suncream!

Val
  • There's plenty of shopping in Lara but for a good day out catch a bus into Antalya itself. You can combine a wander around Kaleici (old town) with shopping. Kaleici is a great place for strolling around, having drink and looking at the different shops. There's everything from chainstores to little craft shops in a fairly small area.
  • Hi Clare

I have been looking at all your great advice on here and feel a little more prepared for our hols!!!!

We are a group of 20 (ages ranging 3 months to 65yrs) coming to Akbel, Kalkan for 2 weeks end of aug. We are staying in a 9 bed villa and hoping for a generally relaxing holiday. Can you give any advice on costs of food, drinks etc. We hope to spend most of time in villa relaxing as I say but will go out several times a week for meals etc. We will also have a few days out each week.

Thanks
  • Wow quite a party, in more ways than one!!

Most food and drink is cheaper here in Turkey but there are exceptions. I'd suggest that you do a big shop at one of the bigger supermarkets as soon as you can. That way the fridge is stocked especially for drinks! The items that are more expensive here are meat, imported goods and alcohol. So, for example, Nescafe is quite expensive whereas Jacobs (no different in my opinion) is cheaper.

Find your local market for fruit, veg and salad - very cheap and fun! Also there are eggs, cheeses, olives and sometimes fish. Prices here are amazingly cheap. 1 kg of tomatoes around 1 lira, same for cucumber. Potatoes a bit more expensive as are onions. Fruit the prices vary but I got a kilo of cherries for 2 lira! Obviously these prices are regional so your local market may differ.

Also it is worth asking the villa owners/agents whether they have an agreement with a local drinking water delivery service. I use Aygaz here and just call them and within about 15 minutes a bottle is delivered. These are the larger 20 litre plus ones and essential for a party your size. Some places I've lived there's been a man with a small truck driving around ringing a bell and you just flag him down! You will be asked to pay around a 10lira deposit for the bottle and then the water is usually around 4lira. Much cheaper than buying smaller bottles and ensures a continual supply.

I have just searched for a receipt from a recent shop to give you some ideas of prices although these do vary from Supermarket to Supermarket but can't find one. So from memory - 30 eggs around 5 lira, cola around 3 lira for one of the big bottles, dried pasta about 1 lira a pack, milk 1.5 lira a litre, butter/spread about 4 lira a 300g pack, baklava 12 lira a kilo, chicken breasts - 7 lira for 4. Fruit juice about 2 lira a litre.

Buy bread daily from your nearest little shop - prices generally don't vary and it is usually under 1 lira a loaf. I have a great local bakery (firin) and the bread is being baked there 24/7 so I often get a loaf fresh from the oven. Worth looking out for one near you.

Meat - chicken is the cheapest meat and strangely enough breast is cheaper than wings!! The Turks seem to like their meat with the bone in! Also I think wings, thighs etc barbeque a lot better and a lot of cooking s done over barbeques. Also whole chickens work out cheaper than buying it jointed. Some supermarkets offer cooked hot chickens. Near me there is a place that just has chickens roasting all day!

Bring teabags with you if you like a particular brand. Difficult and expensive to find here. As I've suggested before when my lot were younger I used to throw a packet of cereal in each suitcase - light and a great snack especially for kids.

Milk is generally UHT - you can get fresh milk (Taze Sut) but you do get used to the UHT!

Biscuits and crisps are quite reasonable, around 1 lira a pack.

Baby products are widely available. Prima nappies are Pampers but there are other good local makes. I have discovered Baby Cologne as well. A lovely cooling lotion - great for anyone. Johnson's products are available but more expensive than local equivalents. Lots of recognisable toiletries can be found including Colgate, Pantene, Dove, Palmolive etc. Just sun cream is more expensive.

Hope this is a little helpful :o)
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged