Best currency for Turkey?
  • Hi, can anyone help, I am a coeliac with Lactose intollerance, is it possible to buy lactose free UHT! milk and is it possible to eat out safely without fish being coated in flour etc??
  • Not sure about the milk but a lot of the larger supermarkets have 'free from' sections. ?'m sure Kipa and Migros have these sections but possibly only in the larger stores. Pharmacies (Eczane) may sell the milk and the gluten free bread - worth asking at the beginn?ng of your stay in case they have to order it.

Tell the waiter you want plain grilled fish - most ?s generally plainly cooked. As are most meats etc.

The Turk?sh for coeliac is
  • Hi

? was in our local Carrefour yesterday and there was a small section of gluten free products. Mainly flour, b?scuits etc. ?t was labelled glutensiz.
  • Hi
    I am going to kusadasi and staying at the sea pearl hotel,can you take your own food in and eat in your room,as you somtimes get fed up eating out,also where is the best place to shop
  • Sorry don't know about that hotel's rules but many in Turkey do have a policy of No food from outside.

That being said though as long as you don't flaunt it on your way in you should be OK. Amazing what you can carry in a beach bag ;o)

Most of the mini markets sell cheese, salami etc and all will have bread.
  • Hi, I'm off to Altinkum in October, is it still best to take a small amount in lira and then take the rest in Sterling to change when I'm over there? Thanks for any help! Sharon.
  • Well under normal circumstances Sharon I would say yes that is ideal but at the moment the lira appears to be in free fall and the rate is amazing. Obviously we don't know how long this will continue but today my (Turkish) bank is offering 2.85 to the pound!!!! May be worth buying a bit now as well!!

As always with the money markets it's a gamble and whatever you do you will always wonder if you should have taken the other option :oS

As a rule of thumb the exchange rate is always better in Turkey than the UK but who knows if this great rate thats around at the moment will still be there in October.

Sorry not to be more definite.
  • HI- we are heading to Dalya Life near Goceck on Sunday for a week. Do you still advise we take sterling an exchange there (with a bit of Lira for the first day?). Barclays are currently offering 2.9 Lira / pound which seems a great rate - how does it compare?

Thanks,
    Andy
  • Grab it!!! Just checked my bank here and it's reported as falling - 2.9006 - it was 2.911 this morning.

It's a gamble but this is the best/worst (depending on your view) rate in years! Great for tourists and their shopping!

Some traders will welcome your GBP so may be worth bringing some if you want to make any biggish purchases (gold, leather etc)
    Have a great time :o)
  • Greetings!

We are going to Istanbul on 17Jul with our 2 kids aged 8,10. Booked this hotel named Golden Palace which is behind the blue mosque (anyone heard of it?), less worried about the transfer from SAW now that the hotel has agreed to pick us up.

Currency: Anyone know what the rate is if I changed from pound to lira in Turkey now? If we can get a rate of 2.9+ here in UK should we exchange most here or should we still leave the bulk until we reach Turkey? The hotel asked for euro payment, what is the rate if I changed pound to euro now in, say, the post office in Turkey (I can then compare with, say, M&S rate here today).

Travel Cost: We will be using the public transport a lot such as trams and ferries. Is it best to get those oyster equv. cards, even for children?

Beaches/seasides: Have only booked 5 nights in the Golden Palace during our 7-night stay in Istanbul. Was thinking of spending remaining 2 days in a hotel nearby a beach. Prefer somewhere quite near, so maybe sile, agva or Princes Islands? Really for the kids' enjoyment after 5 days in a busy city. Any suggestions re. venues or hotels?

Many thanks
    Y
  • Hi there

Off to belek Next week. Cornelia De-lux. Really looking forward to First time Turkey. Is there a bus service to Antalya and what is the cost.
    Also where is the best shopping in Antalya

regards
    M
  • Hello from Antalya,
    I live here and work in Antalya and Belek.I have been Cornelia Del
  • I am going Side and staying all inclusive, but want to know what is the best currency to use over there at the moment if I want to purchase something or go on a trip ?
  • Hi, can anyone tell me what the exchange rate is like in Turkey at the moment please?
  • Hi

My Turkish bank is offering 2.83 today!! It may vary between banks or exchange offices slightly but hope this is helpful :o)
  • Hi again, just wondering/hoping if anyone knows if it will be possible to watch the rugby world cup matches in Incekum? Thanks in advance, MJH.
  • Hmmm interesting one!! Rugby doesn't really feature among the sports of Turkey! But I was here during the last World Cup - yes stupidly had booked my holiday before realising the final would happen while I was in Turkey. We managed to talk a local bar into showing the game - Ok it was from a French sports channel :oS but we made do!!! Just got friendly with the bar workers before hand and convinced them they'd get good custom if they showed it!
  • Thank you very much for your answers Clarecg. Yes i somehow didnt think rugby would feature that high in the list of Turkish sports and probably should've planned my holiday around it but my partner was having none of it!! Hopefully i will meet a few more people who are interested in it too and we will be able to convince somewhere to put it on!! Thanks again for your help, MJH.
  • Hi,
    Thanks for any help you may be able to give. We are going to Side in a few days A.I and again other than a few purchases we won't be buying much. Was wondering what the best curency to take is? As some people are saying trip advisor to take euro (althought the resort we are staying has a lot of Russian and german guests).
    Also how much should we be charged for a turkish bath?
    Thanks
  • Hi

We are hoping to walk part of the Lycian Way, from Antalya to Cirali.
    Can anyone advise us on how to get to the start of the walk - Hisar
  • Hi I am going to stay at the Paloma Grida Village and Spa, Belek in May 2012 and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any where to go horse riding for myself and my 10 year old daughter we are both experienced riders. Many thanks
  • I was in Manavgat this time last year and all the prices were based on 1 euro = 2 lira. Does anyone kow if this still the case as that would certainly favour getting lira rather than euros at current exchange rates?
    Many thanks
  • Hi, our cruise ports in Istanbul for 2 days. We plan on shopping the Grand Bazzar for leather goods( jackets,bags). Are US Dollars widely accepted?
  • Hi Clare

Thanks for your incredibly helpful advice on this thread.

I am going to Lara Beach two weeks today AI at WOW Topkapi Palace for a fortnight! Can't wait and just had a couple of questions which I'd be really grateful if you or any one else could help with:

1) Are there any ATM's in Lara Beach
    2) Do you know if it is far to the Bazzaar (sic) from Lara Beach and are there any toilets there (have a 3 year old daughter so always useful to know nearest loos to hand!!!)
    3) Can you recommend any boat trips or trips in general (with my 3 year old daughter probably long coach trips wouldn't be ideal)
    4) Is it worth hiring a car to see the local sites
    5) 60 million dollar question this one but what is the weather likely to be

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
  • So sorry for the delay in answering these posts but have moved house and had to wait for internet connection - also am battling with a Turkish keyboard...... The new school term started as well so just a tad hectic.

US dollars are widely accepted.
    Regarding the Euro - many places price in Euro for convenience as pre Euro they had tags in lots of currencies. ? always pay in lira as ? live here!! Just one or two hotels seem to only accept Euro.

Most cafe owners have no objection to you using their toilets especially if you have a child with you. Weather is today in the low 30s so ? can't see it changing dramatically. Just becoming a little cooler! Check out weather underground (www.wunderground.com) for a fairly accurate forecast. Car hire is well worth doing. Driving here is '?nteresting' but lots of dual carriageways especially between the sites and good s?gnposting.

Boat tr?ps - ? find it best to book direst with the boats so discover where they moor in Lara. ATMs are plentiful in Lara but do bring some lira with you for the first day or so and to buy water etc.
  • Thanks Claire that's really helpful. Looking forward to getting out there now. 12 days and counting!

Do the boat trips leave straight from Lara or do they go from Antalya?

Thanks again.

Chris
  • Hi everyone, I am going to close this topic now as it has become too general.

Please start a new thread on your specific question. Clare and other Turkey experts - please keep a look out for those new questions!

Thanks, Admin
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged