Ancient historical Travel
  • In our travel of historical wonders of the world, we always gone cross through the ancient places like Roman Colosseum, Stonehenge and like great wall of china and many more. the history is always stunning.. tell me some interesting that you have heard from your end...
  • Ephesus in Turkey on the Aegean Coast is an amazing place to visit. It is very close to Selcuk, Izmir. The site of the Temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the World, although the temple was destroyed in 401 A.D. by a mob led by St John Chrysostom.

The city was originally an Ancient Greek city and later became a major city of the Roman Empire. Ephesus has many biblical connections - it is believed the Gospel of St John may have been written there. Paul lived here and t s suggested he organised missions from the city. Whilst imprisioned in Rome he wrote the Letter to the Ephesians.

Around 15% has been excavated so far and from this visitors can appreciate how great the city must have been. The large amphitheatre dominates the views down harbour street and is capable of seating 25,000 people. The Library of Celsus built around 125 A.D. and able to house 12,000 scrolls. Near the Library is the tomb of Cleopatra's sister whom Cleopatra ordered to be murdered.

It is difficult to give details of all the city and a visit is so worth while! Maybe stay in nearby Selcuk so that you can visit the Museum and other nearby associated sites including the House of The Virgin Mary believed to be her last home and the site for pilgrims.

day trips are avaiable from resorts such as Bodrum, Marmaris, but to fully appreciate the area a longer visit is recommended. The nearest airport is Bodrum (BJV) and nearest port is Kusadasi - in fact many cruise ships dock here and arrange trips to the site.
  • I was in Transylvania. I visited medieval cities: Sibiu, Brasov, Fagaras, Sighishoara. My trip was wonderful.
    In Sibiu there are several ancient and very beautiful cathedrals.
    Castle Bran, Fortress Rasnov, Fortress in Fagaras, dense forests and Carpathian Mountains all around - that impressed me very much. You feel that you are not in 21st century anymore.
  • Hello historical travel,

How about going back to the ancient Khmer civilisation and visit the Temples of Angkor in Cambodia. These are absolutely stunning, especially as sunrise. Angkor Wat is by far the most famous. There are also some amazing Cham ruins outside Hoi An in Vietnam, and in Thailand the stunning ancient royal city of Ayutthaya.

Of course, you could go in completely in the opposite direction for some Mayan magic in Central America. You can visit Chichen Itza, wander through the huge Mayan ruins of Palenque and go deep into the jungle in Guatemala to Tikal. It's amazingly atmospheric.

Hope that's planted a few seeds...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion