Sardinia: Alghero vs. Costa Smeralda
  • Hello,

I'm travelling to Sardinia in September. Can someone offer their opinion of Alghero versus Costa Smeralda in early autumn. Weather, things to do, beaches experience, etc?

If you had to pick between the two, which one would you choose?

Thanks!
  • I went to Alghero in November and then drove down the Costa Smerelda for a few days. It was warmish at that time, so I expect quite pleasant in August. I liked Alghero quite a bit, because it seemed an authentic town, lots of attractive architecture and great food. The Costa is obviously breathtakingly beautiful with stunning beaches, but very expensive and quite elitist in many ways. I don't think your choice is between Alghero and Costa, but rather how long to spend in each. Depends on what you like really, and how much cash you have.
  • Hello, I am Deborah from Italy.
    I go every year in Sardinia and leave again in a few days (from August 31 until September 10).

Please do not confounding the Costa Smeralda with Alghero .......
    The Emerald Coast is absolutely the most beautiful place in Sardinia and Italy!

View photos of the "Spiaggia del Principe" "Porto Cervo" "Baja Sardinia"
    All wonderful places where the sea is emerald and the architectural beauty of the squares is unique.
    If you want to find cheap and delicious holiday apartments in Costa Smeralda, look at the site http://www.planetsardinia.com/
  • Hi, we are travelling to Alghero at the end of august. Do you have some hint where to go with children (age 5 and 10)? We are going to hotel Rina ( http://www.hotzebra.com/hotels/alghero ).
  • Lucy, there are some amazing caves 20 minutes out of town, right on the coast overlooking the waves. Most of the hotels will be able to direct you. From Alghero you can also drive out to the Costa Smerelda which is really worth visiting, fantastic beaches, lots of little coves safe for swimming in with children.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged