Weddings in Turkey
  • Frmesk is your partner living in Iraq or another country?

Bakhsh you will need to apply for a visa to enter Turkey, there is no exception because you are married to a Turkish citizen.
  • Hi all,
    I'm getting married in Belek, Turkey, in October this year. We booked through Thomson, who have been useless with information. Has anyone got married at the Papilon Ayscha hotel,? I don't know how much the reception will cost at the hotel or make up or hair dressers

Any help would be much appreciated!
    X
  • This is an excellent hotel so I suggest you contact them. The operations manager is called Adnan.

Explain your concerns to Adnan and I am sure he and the local wedding coordinator will help you.

I think you will find that things will be fine once you are in in Turkey but package holiday companies in the UK are often incompetent.
  • I need help arranging a wedding at letoonia Fethiye!!
  • Land of Lights is the expat English newspaper in Fethiye http://www.landoflights.net/
    You can advertise free of charge on their classified ads section http://www.lol-classifieds.com/
    or you can ask on the Calis Beach/Fethiye Forum http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/

There is also a forum called Turkish Love that's been around for at least ten years.The forum is populated with people married to Turks and it is a great source of information you will get help there I am sure http://turkishlove.yuku.com/login/loginnow/Login-to-Yuku.html
  • Hi Alethia, i would like to marry my gf from Iran. Im not sure if this the right place to ask but you seem to have a wealth of knowledge. Do you no what she needs to marry in Turkey, and can she marry a non Muslim?

Any help would be appreciated 
  • Hi Kevin, yes your Iranian girlfriend can marry you in Turkey as it is a secular country and all marriages in Turkey are civil marriages conducted by a registrar.
    Kevin can you tell me your nationality so I can advise you fully on the documents you both require and where you intend to marry in Turkey.
  • Hi Alethia. I too am marrying my Iranian girlfriend, I am hoping to do this in the third week in December in Istanbul. My girlfriend has found this Iranian organiser who says she can arrange it all in a week for $600 but she doesnt reply to emails and calls sometimes. I have been reading up on all of this and it seems to be almost as complicated as the spouse visa. Why would anyone need individual passports translated you just need a template. My question is where can I find a organiser, and do they arrange all the translations bearing in mind some of them would be Iranian ect? Thanks
  • Sammy you do not need a wedding organiser, you only need someone who can translate for you. It really is not difficult at all, its just running around for a day or two for blood tests and translating the documents.
    Are you from the UK? Which city or town have you decided to marry in? Let me know and I can help you further.
  • Thanks for your reply Alethia, I am from the UK i should have mentioned. We would marry in Istanbul as this seems to be the easiest. The problem really seems to be the Iranian embassy, last time we were there they refused to issue the single certificate because I was there, this is when we were approached by an organiser. When we made further inquires at the town hall in faith they gave us a list of requirements which included days when applications had to be submitted, I believe it was Wednesdays, so it would be hard to set a date when our families could be there. The organiser said he could circumvent the problems for us.
  • Sammy, I have never heard of  a marriage office in Turkey only taking applications on one day of the week.
    A Turkish marriage bureau is the same as a UK registry office you book the wedding date to suit you.

You should stay well away from the Iranian Embassy (surprised they let you in  !!) they could make problems for your fiancee as you have noticed.

Have you completed the Affidavit/Affirmation required by the Turkish government from British citizens?
    This form must be notarised and sent to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in the UK for an Apostille

There are NO problems marrying in Turkey hundreds of foreigners do it every year , you need the correct documents which must be certified by the Istanbul governors office when they have been translated, blood tests and thats it. I do not think this person you met was a wedding organiser, more like a Turk trying to earn a buck  or two or three ;)

Why did you choose Fatih wedding bureau are you staying in that area?
  • We were directed to that one by the tourist information. We were staying in Sirkeci. Going to the Iranian embassy was a big mistake yes. We we went to the town hall none of them spoke any English and we were given a sheet listing the requirements and it said application should be submitted on Wednesdays. I have downloaded the affidavit and found a cheap notariser. My worry would be turning up in Istanbul again and trying to find interpreters and notorisers and document translators. Do you also handle spouse visas Ive been quoted £800 by a local lawyer who charged me £75 for an initial appointment and could answer some of my questions?
  • Yes, I do handle spouse visas we have a fixed fee of £650 . http://astonlawpractice.com/ and I have prepared applications for quite a few Iranian citizens who have applied from Turkey ( I have also done Iranian applications from Abu Dhabi ) I promise I can definitely answer your questions.

Dont forget the affidavit must be certified at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office not just notarised.

Sirkeci is in the Fatih district of Istanbul that is why you were directed to the Fatih marriage bureau.
    I located the Fatih Municipality website section on weddings . Marriage applications and weddings are conducted  Monday to Friday 08.30 to 12noon and 13.00 to 15.00. If you want a different time or the registrar to conduct the wedding in a hotel or other location this is by arrangement.

Its free to have documents legalised at the Istanbul Governors office.
    You will need an interpretor for your wedding but you should not require a Turkish notary.
    Here is a list of professional wedding planners in Istanbul http://istanbul.angloinfo.com/af/326/istanbul-party-and-wedding-planners.html

• Thank you for the information. So, according to gov.uk, after the FCO certify you affidavit you dont need any further certifications? Would you still need your passport/birth certificate/decree absolute translated and certified? I wont be able to apply for the visa until end of march due to the financial requirement rule so would like to be in touch nearer that time.
  • You are correct,your passport, birth certificate and decree absolute must be translated , these are taken with the affidavit to the Istanbul governors office they are legalised there for free.
    Dont worry about the visa, whenever your ready.
  • You have been really helpful, can I email you with my situation regarding visa and maybe you could tell me if I need your help?
  • Of course you can email me. immigrationadvice4U@lawyer.com is my business email and comes to me directly as opposed to the email on our company website.

• I have been trying to research the documentation an Iranian needs for marriage in Turkey and have read some distirbing things regarding them marrying foreign men I found this on the net:
    Necessary documents for registration of the marriage of an Iranian woman with a foreign man:

On
    the strength of Article 1060 of the Civil Law, marriage of an Iranian
    woman with a foreign man requires a special permission of the government
    even if there is no legal impediment to such marriages.

1. The
    request of the couple, in writing, regarding the issuance of a marriage
    license and registration of their marriage. They are also required to
    provide their full return address.
    2. A certificate from an official
    organ of the home country of the husband stating the lack of any legal
    impediment in his marriage to the Iranian woman and the recognition of
    the officiality of the marriage by that organ.
    3. The certificate of
    the conversion of the husband to the divine religion of Islam if the
    wife is Muslim and the husband is non-Muslim.
    4. The certificate of their religious marriage.
    5. The original of the valid identity card of the wife.
    6. The passport or the identity paper(s) of the husband.
    An official letter of permission of the father of the wife if it is her
    first marriage. If the father is dead, the death certificate should be
    included.
    8. The security clearance record of the husband. (at the wife's request, the husband is obliged to present this document).
    The financial statement of the husband to indicate his financial
    ability (at the wife's request, the husband is obliged to present this
    document)
    10. The husband's commitment to pay for the household
    expenses and for the airfare of his wife and children to Iran (at the
    wife's request, the husband is obliged to present a document to certify
    his commitments).
    11. The medical records of the couple.
    12. Twelve 6x4 photographs of each of the husband and the wife.
    13. A document confirming the single marital status of the couple prior to their marriage.
    14. The fee to cover the expenses.

This would make it almost impossible for us to marry in Turkey. Does anyone European have experience of marrying an Iranian girl in Turkey or can shed any light on this?

• Sammy the law you have quoted is the Family Law of Iran which DOES NOT apply in Turkey. When you marry in a foreign country you abide by the rules of the country in which you marry not the laws of your country of origin. That is why Iranians marry foreigners in Turkey . Once again Turkey is a secular country where religion and Islamic rules do not have anything to do with marriage or  many other things for that matter.

Stop searching the internet you are making far more of this wedding than is necessary. Just gather the documents you need to marry in Turkey. By the way if the Iranians wont give your fiancee a certificate to say she is single she can go and swear it in front of a Turkish notary.
  • Ok thanks, so if Ive got this right, I dont have to take my bilingual legalised affividit to the British consulate, just to be notarised by a Turkish notary then to the governors office to be legalised along with translated passports and birth certiicate. She has to take her single certificate to be legalised at her embassy, if they wont then a Turkish notary then the governors office. Before this the documents will need to be translated by an official translator. Then we can go to the marriage office to arrange the tests. Any tips on finding a notary and official translator?
  • Your affidavit must be taken to a British Notary in the UK, once notarised you send the notarised affidavit to the Foreign and Commonwealth office who put the Apostille and mail it back to you. I did mention this with an FCO link in my post of 17 October.

In Turkey both your documents are translated then taken to the governors office to be legalised

The Iranian Embassy may play ball and legalise her documents if not, fill out the same affidavit as you did and your fiancee will swear it in front of a Turkish notary.

You seem to have forgotten your health certificates you must both have blood tests, the marriage office can give you the address of hospitals that do these tests. The blood tests are usually done the same day.

I do not know any notaries or translators in Istanbul.
  • I am a UK national who is looking to marry Turkish boyfriend in Turkey early next year (Feb/Mar)  2015.  We both live and work in North Cyprus.

1. Can we go to Istanbul and obtain the Affidavit/Affirmation and get it certified there even if we dont reside in TUrkey?  If not where will I have to go to get it?

2. How long will a Affidavit/Affirmation issued in Istanbul be valid for?  (we want to try and get it this month as we are both restricted for time off work)

3.  Do we need any other documents translated and certified (some websites say yes and some dont mention any)

4.  If we need other document do we also have to do this in Istanbul, if so where, or can we do it in North Cyprus or locally to where we get married? 

Any advice greatfully received.

• Hi Shell22, 
    Can you tell me if you intend to marry in Northern Cyprus or in mainland Turkey as the requirements are slightly different.
  • Mainland Turkey

• Shell232, as you are resident in Northern Cyprus you can take the completed affidavit to the British Embassy in Nicosia (Lefkosa) make an appointment with the consular section. 

You will also need, your birth certificate, your passport and if you have been married before your decree absolute or death certificate. They must all be translated into Turkish.

In the town where you marry in Turkey, you must take your documents to the Governors office where they will be legalised free of charge.

You and your fiance will both need blood tests for the marriage office.
    Now your ready to book your wedding ! Good luck.
  • Alethia

Just for future reference I have spoken to the High Commission in Nicosia and as I thought they do not process Affidavits.  They have over the last year reduced many of their services including processing of passport renewels and visa applications.  In fact I am not quite sure what they do actually do anymore.

So I guess its a trip to Istanbul in the next few weeks.  Depending on how long the Affidavit is valid for.

Thanks anyway.

• Shell232, I have two suggestions, to save the trip to Istanbul, you can use the same affidavit from the British government website have it notarised in the Republic Cyprus and as they are party to the Hague Convention they can put the Apostille put on the document.

Secondly call the marriage office in mainland Turkey and ask them if they will accept a local notary in the Turkish Republic of Cyprus to notarise your documents. Its worth a try.

By the way the British Consulate in Cyprus website is still showing that they offer notarial services for marriage etc. Money for old rope working in an embassy !

• Hi Alethia
    My marriage is fast approaching (December) and I want apply for a visitor while we wait to apply for a spouse visa. I cant apply for spouse visa until April because my savings will reach the 6 month mark then. The question is if refused the visit visitor will it affect the possible outcome spouse visa? Also is considered by the officials that overstaying on a visit visa and prejudicing a spouse visa a compelling reason to return?
    Thanks
  • Hi Sammy

I do not recommend you apply for a visit visa, it is highly likely to be refused as they will think you wife is trying to circumvent the immigration rules by not returning. It can then affect the spouse application.You need to go to Turkey or somewhere else to vist your wife to show the strength of your relationship.
    I am not sure what you mean by your savings. You don't need savings you need 6 months payslips and six months bank statements to demonstrate you earn £18,600 over a six month period.
    Please check your email as I have replied to you.
  • Hi Alethia
    Thanks for your reply, I have obviously received bad advice from my previous lawyer concerning the visitors visa who had an initial advice from. I dont meet the financial requirements regarding income which is why I have to go down the savings route. I was advised to asked my dad for an early inheritance so I could meet the financial condition. He agreed to this and paid it into my account on 30 sept. meaning 30th march would be six months. She told me in the mean time I could apply for the family visa visa but if your saying this is a bad idea I would do nothing to prejudice our chances. I have been to Turkey twice with her so far and will go again in December to marry.

I hope this is more clear and I apologise for any confusion
  • I would never advise a client to apply for a family visit visa purely because of the reasons I gave in my previous post. Of course if there were extenuating or compassionate circumstances, then an application could be made.

This is an example of what I think you mean by the savings route:_

If your earnings are £15,000 per annum that is a shortfall of £3,600 from the mandatory £18,600

You then multiply the £3,600 by 2.5 which equals £9,000 
    The next requirement is £16,000  savings to which you add the £9,000 this makes a total of £25,000

So you must have £25,000 in savings, is this what you mean ?

You must declare where this gift of cash came from. Here is what the rules say.

(iii) gift of cash savings (whose source must be declared) evidenced at paragraph 
    1(a)(iii), provided that the cash savings have been held by the person or persons 
    at paragraph 1(a)(iii) for at least 6 months prior to the date of application and are 
    under their control; 
  • The reason for applying for a visitor visa was to give my spouse the opportunity to visit her potential homeland while waiting for my savings six month mark, obviously getting more face time for us would be helpful as its the only condition which could be improved on. It is not my intention to circumvent the rules as I would never run the risk of her being arrested and deported as an illegal immigrant or want to have a life looking over our shoulders all the time, not to mention the fact she could not work or travel. By April we will meet all requirements as set out by the UKBA rules.

My inheritance covers the savings requirement in complete.

Thanks
  • Sammy112, whilst you and your spouse have no intention to circumvent the rules, believe me when I say how difficult it would be to separate after living together for six months. Also immigration officers take a different view and are not sympathetic.

Thousands of people come to the UK as a spouse and have never seen the UK before they are granted a spouse visa. Most people who marry non Europeans travel to visit them rather than run the risk of applying for a visit visa. I know this not just as a lawyer but from personal experience albeit many years ago
  • I understand this totally and was just exploring the options, However, as I am a student, I gave up my job to do a degree.I will be relying on just my savings I received as an early inheritance to meet the financial requirement. Are you saying this isnt possible because it what was recommended as a simpler route? Iwould like to email you a copy of the advice i received if you would be interested. Thanks
  • Alethia
    Your advice stating that I have no option to proceed in applying for a spouse visa seems to be at odds with all the guidelines from gov.uk. In summary I have over the required amount from my inheritance to meet the financial requirement. Why would me being a student have any bearing on this. My dad owns properties, investments bought for me and my siblings and he has given me some of the value of mine in cash so I could get married. In your email you said I cannot totally rely on savings 'As you are at university do you have any income at all? You cannot rely totally on savings.'
    I get a loan. Why cant I rely on savings?
    The only reason I was interested in a visitor visa was to see my wife while waiting to apply for the spouse visa which I cant apply for until 30th March due to the savings 6 months rule.
  • Sammy, I have often come across people like you , I give them the benefit of many years knowledge free of charge on this website and by email then suddenly you are the expert and don't like what I tell you.

Being a student has great bearing on your situation because you have NO INCOME Only your savings and student loans. I have provided you with the immigration rules and scenarios via email which you have also ignored.

In my experience I believe the route you have chosen to be fraught with difficulties and  I would never advise someone to do this.

...Your advice stating that I have no option to proceed in applying for a spouse visa seems to be at odds with all the guidelines from gov.uk....

Nothing I have said is at odds with the UK immigration rules. You came here seeking advice, I gave it, but in the end do what you want, people often do.

• Dear Alethia,
    Firstly I have certainly not ignored the immigration rules and scenarios which you provided me with and I am yet to find anything that related to students in particular. Can you tell me conclusively why students are exempt from the same rules with which non students are bound by? And why is my money and savings not as good as anyone else s. I worked for years before taken up study. What it seems to me you are saying is that it doesn't matter that you meet the criteria that the government because you are a student. At the end of the day I want to pay my way and do thing properly.
  • Sammy

You can not find anything in the immigration rules relating to students in this specific category because its not there and I have told you repeatedly apart from your savings you have no income.
    I do not make the immigration rules, I work with them to successfully obtain visas. Immigration is a minefield and a specialist subject that is very complicated.

As I said earlier I would not recommend this route and I really have no more to say on the matter because of the accusatory tone of your last post. this is a forum to assist people not a free legal advice centre. If you don't like my advice go elsewhere.
  • actually I welcome you viewpoint and I apologizes if my tone was accusatory but saying you 'come across people like me before' wasnt very flattering
  • What I was asking would being a student prejudice your chance  of being granted a spouse visa if you meet the other requirements as they stand now?
  • 'Being a student has great bearing on your situation because you have NO INCOME Only your savings and student loans.'
    Please elaborate on this statement. What bearing will it have on my application? Yes I have savings -over the financial requirement and yes a student loan. Does this not leave me with an 'option to proceed?' according to you or UKBF guidelines, or do you write the guidelines now?
  • I have answered your questions and I refuse to continue with this conversation because you are aggressive and ill mannered.
  • So have I got this right. Your reason for not recommending students to apply for a spouse visa is because they have no income and rely on savings, and being a student has a great bearing on the case? so, if the savings are sufficient why wouldn't you recommend they apply for visa and what would the great bearing on the case be. You also say you provided me with immigration laws and scenarios but I could find none which related to students who had cash savings.
  • Sammy, the different types of visas are intended for people in different situations. Spousal visas are meant for married adults with sufficient income to support themselves, while student visas are meant for young people studying in another country while being supported by family or scholarships.

The reason you cannot find laws relating to students on spousal visas is that spousal visas are not intended for students. Does that make sense?

Because you are a full-time student you have no regular income, and proof of regular income is one of the requirements for the visa you are seeking. While it is good that you have savings, that is not enough.
  • Thanks Anya , succinctly put. :) By the way I don't write the immigration rules or guidelines  ;)
  • Anya, My spouse and I are a married couple with sufficient means to support ourselves. Just because I am a student does that mean the 65 k in my bank is different than if i wasn't a student. Also if the  financial requirement is met entirely by savings other income is not required.
  • Well obviously you know better than us then... so why are you here?
  • Are you a lawyer? Have you had a case where someone was able to meet all requirements as a sponsor but he was a student? If not why do you feel qualified to comment?
  • But lets not confuse the issue I don't want a student visa nor does my spouse.I went back to uni after many years to do a course because i fancied a change of career, it was during this time that I met an Iranian girl, (nothing to do with uni) who i want marry. I have accommodation, savings and the rest of the stipulated requirements. Why would I not qualify for a visa?
  • Alethia is a lawyer, in fact a UK immigration lawyer. You've rejected her advice...

You don't need savings you need 6 months payslips and six months bank statements to demonstrate you earn £18,600 over a six month period.

... as well as mine, so I can't imagine why you're wasting everyone's time by continuing to argue.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged