Criminal record and visa control
  • Hi everybody,

I am a citizen of the UK. A decade ago, when i was 18, i was convicted of a minor crime and fined 150 pounds. This year I have been in the USA, having successfully received a 10 year unresitricted B1/B2 visa (as an independent researcher.. sounds fancy but i'm just a phd student :-)) The issue I need some clarification on is how, if at all, this would affect entry to Mexico. Firstly, do i need to obtain a Mexican visa given my past? There is no information on the UK Mexican Consulate website. If the Mexican authorities do not do criminal records checks would the fact that i have applied and received a US visa indicate to the Mexican authorities that i have some background that required that i obtain a US visa, rather than use the visa waiver, and therefore reduce my chance of gaining entry?

I realize this is a detailed question and any help would be very much appreciated :-)

Cheers!!
  • I think you dont need a visa to go to Mexico
  • HOW DID YOU GET ON WITH UR TRIP TO MEXICO? I AM IN A SIMILAR SITUATION WITH REGARDS TO A TOURIST CARD, DO I HAVE TO MENTION A POLICE WARNING, WEN GOING TO CANCUN ON HOLIDAY?
  • @ifu05208 In the end i didn't go though for reasons unrelated to visas. As far as i can tell, UK citizens don't need a tourist visa to travel to Mexico, even if they've been convicted for a crime. In your situation, having just had a warning i don't think you have anything to worry about. But don't accept my word for it, i really don't know with any certainty. Easiest solution, phone the Mexican Embassy in your country and they'll tell you. You definitely won't be denied entry to mexico for a warning. I wasn't denied entry to the US with a conviction!!

Best of luck
  • Thanks for all advice and experiences: Found this on meixco website.. So just going to go for it and hope for the best? As i dont think this would be considered a serious crime ?

Foreigners who wish to enter Mexico in any migratory category (tourists, students, residents, etc.) DO NOT require a POLICE CLEARANCE (Criminal Record) certificate.

Nevertheless, immigration officers may eventually deny entry to foreigners who have committed a serious crime, served a prison sentence or are currently on parole. (Article 106 of the Regulations of the General Population Law)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged