Peruvian Traditions
  • So like what would be considered traditional Peruvian food???
  • Peruvian cuisine is one of the best in South America and it is known not only for its exquisite taste, but also for its variety and ability to incorporate the influence from different times and cultures. The Peruvian cuisine is an important expression of its own culture just as its ceramics, textiles, music and literature. Thanks to Peru's three regions and ocean, there are an abundance of markets that can offer a variety of fresh ingredients that satisfy not only the housewife but also the most sophisticated chef.

The culinary history of the Peruvian food dates back to the Incas and pre-Incas with its maize, potatoes and spices that later was influenced by the arrival of the Spanish colonies, and throughout the years it incorporated the demands of the different migrations and "mestizajes". Such groups included Chinese, European, African and Japanese immigrants.

Typical dishes:

Papa a la Huancaina: Sliced Boiled Potatoes covered in a cheesy, slightly spicy yellow sauce (which contains Turmeric) served on top of lettuce. This dish is usually garnished with a quarter of a hard-boiled egg and sometimes with olives too.

Anticuchos: Skewered meat (brochettes) that are sold throughout the streets of Peru and of course in restaurants. We recommend that you ask what type of meat it is before ordering one, as the most general kind is called anticucho de coraz
  • Yea hes rite. i had 2 do a report on Peru. We had 2 do alot of reseching. I got an A on my report.....atleast i hope so!!!
  • SACHA Cocina Peruana Contemporanea is definitly a highly recommended experience, the Amazonian salad sent us to the warm and exotic lands of the lowland jungles, the trout in a quinoa and quiwicha crust to the pristine open spaces of the andes.. and a delicate presentation of 3 different textures of Lucuma made us dream on the stunnig beaches of the north.. all around a gastronomical venture to the flavors of a welcoming country..located in the center of an ever happening San Isidro, at Los Laureles 285, tel 4215395 open for Lunch and Dinner.. email.. sacha@sacha.com.pe

Pablo Alvarez
  • wow all of these dishes sound great and some I have already had at home but the others I like to try once I am in Peru. I am heading back to Peru to visit family I was very young when I last went. Anyway, does anyone know where or how I can get a cheap airfare? from NY to Lima Peru?? My email is marcmarchany@yahoo.com
  • i dunno but peru has the andes so it is awesome CAN U TELL I LIKE THE ANDES

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged