public transport options
  • Hi people,

I went to Sri Lanka for 6 weeks over the millennium in January and had a fantastic trip with friends. I don't know if things have changed much since then - but public transport seemed a bit scarce? The only way to go touring from the coast (Unawatuna) to see the tea plantations, Kandy and all the ancient sites inland was to hire a driver and haggle for a package price and do it all in one hit at a bit of a pace.

I have some friends who would rather go off at a slower pace by local bus/train and then you can linger a while longer in each destination?

I recall taking the train from Colombo almost all the way to Galle via Mount Lavinia and then a rickshaw onwards to Unawatuna and a rickshaw on to Marissa, but I did not see buses anywhere?

Since the devastation caused by the tsunami I know things will have been re-built and may have changed somewhat. Any advice from recent visits will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tagged