Are Dominicans prejudice?
  • Someone told me that Dominicans and Haitians hate each other. Is there prejudice toward black peoplein general in the Dominican Republic?
  • I would say that the Haitians have a rather low standing amongst Dominicans in general. Also you will find Haitians doing the worst jobs. In Dominican society it is rare to find black people on any high position, business and political. Some night clubs i StoDgo don't allow blacks inside.
  • What a total nonsense....there are no blacks in high position? The one who posted this MUST be the most color-blind person in the world. What color is the President of the DR, most of his cabinet, judges, Prosecutors, etc. etc. etc?
  • My boyfriend is Dominican and he really dislikes Haitians. The reasons he gave me were pretty legitimate. If you look up the history of the Island of Hispaniola, you can find that the hatred started way back when Christopher Columbus first came to the island and when the French took control of Haiti's part of the island. Also, there are about 1 million of illegal Haitian immigrants in the Dominican Republic. With the whole color thing...they do put lighter skinned people in a better light than darker but that is because of the mixing that happened with the natives and the Europeans way back in history. The more European (lighter) you are, the less mixing(mixing with slaves/natives) happened in your ancestry.
    I hope instead of making your own assumptions you try to look up the facts. The U.S. Embassy has a great site on this and Wikipedia (though not totally trustworthy) covers the history well.
  • I think your Dominican boyfriend is wrong, and i hope one day u ll be able to visit Haiti and you ll see the different between the nations that living on the same island.
    Haiti is Wonderfully amazing, you should come to  see!
  • I would like to tell you somethings,: When Dominicans go to French or Germany they treat them as black people, Haitians and Dominicans are all  Black. And even if you from North America, European, Asia, Indian, Africa, we are all the same: Inhabitants of the Earth.
  • "... And even if you from North America, European, Asia, Indian, Africa, we are all the same: Inhabitants of the Earth..."

That's a nice sentiment and the world would be a better place if humans acted like it was true.

Cheers,

Terry
  • I've been to Haiti, and the people there have told me that discrimination in the Dominican Republic is common; it is common worldwide however, for people to have low opinions of their neighbours from a poorer country. Look at the way the USA treats Mexican immigrants, how South Koreans treat North Koreans, or how South Africans treat Zimbabweans. It's a sad thing, but true.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion