Turkish travel Visa for South Africans -from UK
  • Hi, I am a South African, residing in the UK on a residence permit. I am married to a UK Citizen. We have a packaged holiday planned to Turkey for 12 days in novermber 2010. I have heard/read so many different things regarding obtaining a visa to travel to Turkey. Please can you tell me if I can obtain a visa at the Turkish Border gates when I fly? Or do I need to apply from the Turkish Consulate in London? The mfa.gov website says I can obtain a tourist visa for 30 days from the gates. I just want to make 100% sure this is correct. I do not want to arrive in Turkey and get turned away.
  • Oh, and I am still travelling with my South African Passport, I am applying for ILR and UK Citizenship next year.
  • I believe as a South African passport holder you can obtain a thirty day tourist visa on entry to the country - sometimes they may ask for "proof" of the equivalent of $50 a day for the duration of your visit but very often a valid credit card will suffice!!
    At the moment though there are changes taking place in Turkey regarding visas. So keep an eye on the appropriate websites :o)
  • I'm South African and travelled to Turkey while working in the UK. We got our visas at the airport, no hassles...
  • i know how u feel tiggertoes, my husband has a pakistani passport but we cant get any answers from anywhere i dont want to be refused entry if we dont get a visa from london yet everyone says "it should be ok " to but a visa on arrival at turkey but it is a big risk.
  • Thanks for all your comments. I'm just going to rough it and take a chance. It should be fine.
  • hi there
    I'm a South African married to uk passport holder, wanting to take my grandparents who are visiting us from South Africa (south african passports with 6months visiting visa to uk) to Turkey for a holiday. Have so much conflicting info. Please help? Id hate for us to get there and be denied entry...
  • @Nicky - its pretty simple isn't it - your grandparents and you need a visa - which is issued on arrival for around $15.
  • thanks David, i didn't know it was that simple....seeing i cant apply for a schengen visa to take them anywhere. just thought it couldn't be that easy. many thanks
  • @Nicky - no problem - for more information on turkey visas and all you can see and do in Turkey see our guide to the country: http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/Countries/Turkey/Visa
  • Just to confirm David's advice the MFA website says the following "South Africa: Ordinary passport holders are required to have visa to enter Turkey. They can obtain one month multiple entry visas at the Turkish border gates. Official passport holders are exempted from visa for their travels up to 30 days" http://www.mfa.gov.tr/visa-information-for-foreigners.en.mfa

Hope you have a fabulous holiday :o)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion