Is it safe for a woman alone in Guatemala?
  • Is it safe for a woman to travel alone in Guatemala? My sister is going there as a missionary, and I'm a little worried about her. What are the possible dangers? I don't know how reliable the agency she's working for is. She'll be near Antigua Guatemala, but is rural villages mostly.
  • As long as she uses common sense she will be fine, The dangerous parts are around guatemala city, rural villages are fine. She just needs to take care as she would at home and not wander alonw in the dark or take uneccesary risks etc.
  • IT'S BETTER TO BE WITH SOMEONE AT ALL TIMES. GUATEMALA IS NOT SAFE AS IT USED TO BE. i AM A gUATEMALAN .
  • It doesn't sound like she would be alone if she is on a mission trip.

I went on a mission trip to Guatemala in October 2010 with some people who take groups there many, many times per year. We stayed in Antigua and worked in a small town an hour away. I would definitely encourage her to go. I agree with everything above. Stay with a group of at least 3 people when going out. Don't take the taxis. Dress very casually and inconspicously. Don't carry valuables. Don't flash money around. You need to be aware of your surroundings at all times. I agree Guatemala City is probalby more dangerous. Is is a bit alarming to see people with weapons. You go into the bank to exchange your money and there's a guy with a shotgun at the teller window and a guy with a machine gun outside the front of the bank. So clearly what's safe is relatively different that what we are used to.

Saying that it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. The group I went with was through Baptist Children's Homes. They were extremely organized and I can't say enough good things about them. Even now our group (we work together) talks about our experience all the time. Many of use are going back in October and I might go in June.
  • I´m a single woman retiree traveling Central America. My three months here in Guatemala is just coming to an end and I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. There is danger everywhere, however, it is easy to stay safe with minimal effort. Here is what I have learned after speding a month in Antigua and two in Panajachel, Lake Atitlan.

- Be home before dark, even if you are with a group.
    - Never carry anything with you that you cannot do without.
    - Do not get politically involved, especially now with the elections stirring things up.
    - Visit the pueblos early in the day before the rains start because of the mud slids.

The people are friendly and sweet, the countryside spectacular. Most people live behind high walls for safety as have generations. Good luck.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion