Money scams from Nigeria: beware!
  • I have informed Match.com also. It seems he may be setting himself up in different areas of the country, who knows where he will strike next under that name. At least they can hopefully vet him if he tries again.
  • Hello every body over there,the man i met on match.com his name is not Eric Capello,i cann't say much becaus i still have contact with him,maybe he is the same pearson with a defferent name, that why i want to ask you guys Guest 1,Mug3,and DC and every body there if you have informations to write me on my e-mail adress(express_nl@hotmail.com), we can compare the information if it is from the same pearson.please help me i want my money back and i want him to get arrested that he cann't hurt anybody els any more, i wait for your respons.thanks all of you.
  • Maybe not everybody knows you can track where an email is coming from at
    http://www.ip-adress.com/trace_email/ .
    I had several times girls (I am a man) who asked for money. I did never send. But if it looked very well I offered to come and hand it personal. Mostly my beauty dissappeared. 4 times I booked a holliday for a week. 3 times I had a nice holliday, but no girlfriend. The last time I met somebody in Ghana. Completely different from what i expected. She even did not know about her advertising. Her brother was a scammer and i was in contact with him. He also sent his sister to my hotel, to cash. But.......we are together now already for 4 years. She did not look like the stars on the pictures, but it is a lovely and caring girl. Oh yeah, she cannot read, and cannot write.
    Anentome
  • I also was taken for a ride with Paul Edward, who also said he was working in the country on contracted,and he lived in the UK, he also chatted on line for a month, making all kinds of promises, and till he got money out of me, and then heared nothing from him, I hope who ever reads this and knows him, he lied, dishonest, a cheat, and I hope they arrest him at the airport and put him in jail, and I can get my money back. He says all the things like all the comments above,
    be careful
    I also met him on match .com
    I hope he goes to hell.
  • When someone you meet online asks for money...DON"T send anything. Don't give out your address, home phone # or anything. These people are scammers. ANy real person you meet won't ask for money...they will just want to get to know you. Key words to look for....Sweetie, Love, Honey, etc..if you are chatting with someone and they use these words...use caution. Tell them NO if they ask for anything. They don't care about you...they want your money...
    I still hear from Micheal Brown...smilewithbrown..and he has told me that he got my money...I sent him nothing...must be a cc'd email....to others..don't fall for it.
    I know it's hard not to fall for a man/ woman who says kind things to you, but really if they just met you in person....what would be your gut level feeling if they were all sappy during coffee/ dinner..and hardly knew you..you' d most likely say...ew...get away from me...love takes time...no quick fix there..although I know we'd like to have someone really feel that way about us...i't's NOT REAL....don't fall for it.
    Unfortunately, I don't know if you can ever get your money back...check with the police...
    Best advice I can give...delete them immediately from your email..so no more contacts can be made...
    Good luck and be strong and SMART!!!!!!!!
    Worried.
  • I'm ashamed...I can't believe I fell in love with someone who may be potentially be a scammer. How can I have let this happen? Just when I felt I was so strong, I finally let someone into my life and they crushed my heart again. After two marriages, I finally broke down and tried Match.com and I thought I found my soul mate.

My man is going by Melvin Cole. I hope and pray that he is not a true scammer but after reading these comments ...I truely fear he is. Everything is very similar to the other stories. We met on match.com and have been talking for two months now. He claims to have a son and has been married once. He says his wife died in a car accident when his son was eleven. Mel says he is in Republic of Benin for a work project with cocoa. He should be finishing the project soon and be coming back to the states to meet me and live happliy ever after. He says his current residence is SC. He immediately removed his profile after we met within a couple of days.

This week he has asked me for $3000.00 because his son was hit by a car when he was playing football. He needs a operation right away and If I don't help him he will never be able to walk again. He claims that he has traveler checks and money orders but can't cash them because of the poor economy over there right now. I'm so glad I didn't send money because I was skeptical. Plus, I didn't have the extra funds anyway. Now he says he got the money from a hotel manager for the operation but needs to pay him back before they leave the hotel. Now he is asking if I could help him pay back the hotel as I get the extra money by my biweekly paychecks. ???? This doesn't sound right??? does it???? I think I have been scammed like the rest of you....Yikes! I'm ashamed of myself and how did I let this happen?
  • Don't listen re the Hotel Manager it was the Hotel Manager he asked me to make the cash out to and it was a girl's name. So must be in partnership. Check out the message that gives a site to check where an e-mail comes from. My first came from London and thereafter they all came from Nigeria.

I paid to learn my lesson but learnt I have.
  • hey everyone i met a woman two weeks ago on lavalife.com we started talking and she says that she loves me. she says she is from the uk and that she is on her way back ther should i beleave her i have sent her money already to help her to get back to the uk i do have feelings for her very strong ones am i wrong in this or am i being fooled i need to know
  • Worried One,
    First of all don't send any more money. You only have known her for 2 weeks? Does she not know anyone else? Only you to turn to?? What adult do you know, when you first meet them asks you for money? No one I know. Also, the way I look at it is, if they need money this early on in the relationship that's a sign of what's to come....asking for more money.
    Just don't send any more money....or you will not get it back. It sounds like a scam to me.
    Good luck.
    Worried.
  • I'm FULLY HEART BROKEN...I can't believe I fell TOTALLY in love with someone who may potentially be a scammer. How can I have let this happen? Just when I felt I was so strong, I finally let someone into my life and they crushed my heart again. After one marriage, I finally broke down and tried Meetic.com and I thought I found my soul mate in the name of WILLIAMS GELATI from Birmingham, England with the nickname DAMSELARA

My man as i said is going by WILLIAMS GELATI. I hope and pray that he is not a true scammer but after reading these comments ...I truly fear he is. Everything is very similar to the other stories. We met on meetic.com and have been talking for two months now. He claims to work on a month contract in the refurbishment of a farm plant in Lagos. He should be finishing the project soon and be coming back to Spain to meet me and live happily ever after. He says his current residence is in Birmingham. He immediately removed his profile after we met within a couple of days.

This week he has asked me for $1050.00 because he had a car accident on the way to the airport last 30th April the night he was flying back home toSpain to reunite with me. I already helped him before in finishing the project with $2600. He needs now medicines and a operation right away and If I don't help him he will die. He claims that he has not money left as being robbed while waiting for rescue team and police. Plus, I didn't hve the extra funds anyway. He says he got no money and need to pay back the hospital treatment before he leaves the hospital. Now he is asking if I could help him pay for all this and for the return ticket???? This doesn't sound right??? does it???? I think I have been scammed like the rest of you....Yes! I'm very heart broken and dont know how did I let this happen to me?
    His email address is: efontete@live.com and eforntete@livecom
    His telephone number:+2348034716426
    The doctor telephone number:+2348029667665
    Anyone of you got caught with similar details?
    l hope we can find them and get what they merely deserve because im totally broken.
  • PLEASE ANYONE CAN TELL ME HOW AND WHERE CAN I REPORT TO...
    I WISH TO KNOW SOME GOOD AND OFFICIAL SITES TO BE ABLE TO REPORT ABOUT THESE SCAMMERS BECAUSE IM VERY WORRIED OF THESE PEOPLE AS THEY HAVE ALL MY PERSONAL DETAILS.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE
  • Sorry to say I doubt there is anywhere to report these people the Police won't take any notice as we willing gave money. Not sure what country you are from but in UK there is a site crime stoppers an independant agency that might look into it any your identity is annonomous.

I am like you I fell for a scammer when normally I'd have my guard up and not be taken in - we aren't fools just kind hearts wh would help others out but their stories are so unbelievable when you take time to read but in the initial situation when it all kicks off it is your feelings that take over and not your head - nothing to be a shamed off just it is a costly lesson we've had to learn but learn we will.

sorry can't be of much more help.

By the way the telephone number is similar to the one I received and they all seem to work on windows live ie @live.com

Might be the samy guy but I think it is a team they all sit in a room and take turns to chat it's their job - there was a documentary on TV about it a dozen guys sitting in a chat room scamming lonely hearts - not nice at all eh
  • Thanks Mug 3 for cheering me up and for feeling being accompanied for the same reasons. lm feeling so broken down as i fell so in love with the guy of the photo they put up for me in first place, im so hurt and i feel like that the person from the photo probably is been played too and all i think of is if i could find him to find out. By the way im spanish from Madrid, Spain.
  • Dear Totally Broken

Don't let the b*stards get you down. I can sympathise with you totally. I was contacted by a person via 'Are You Interested' on Facebook. He was a dish and to be honest couldn't think why someone so gorgeous was interested in me. He went down the lovey dovey route within an hour of chatting wanting to come visit etc. He was an Architect with a son working on a project in Nigeria, his wife died of cancer. I broke ties with him as he was too full on for me to start and made me nervous/uncomfortable. He too I think is a scammer his pictures were too polished - probably models and nothing rang true what he said.

Then I joined match.com a few weeks later from advice of a friend and started to chat and I only let my guard down as I thought that was why guys went off me. All the signs were there if I opened my eyes/ears. More fool me the time I needed to keep guard up. Should have judge him the same as the guy from 'Are You Interested' but was at a low point so vulnerable - never again

Try not to be too broken hearted it's not worth it. The right person will come along when you least expect it and they will appreciate you for who you are not what you are/have and certainly they wouldn't ask for money.

Madrid how lovely always thought of having a city break there those who have say it is very nice. I travel to visit a friend South of Spain regularly.

Good luck with any future relationships and keep that guard up well until they prove themselves. Don't settle for anything less than you are worthy off ;o)

take care
  • Again here l am Mug3, just wanted to tell you THANKS LOTS again for your response. It was very conforting receiving news from you. I wish the best for you and hope you have luck in dating someone honest for 'real'. I never believed in Internet because I dont like anything ' VIRTUAL' and you can see l fell directly into one despite never seen the person but in pictures which l always found so unconfortable because again all was based virtually and l dont understand yet how feelings come out so strong. l really hope l have learnt from this but still l learnt that the same way they played with our feelings virtually they just played as well with our feelings in real life and this is what really makes me sad.
    Warm regards and hope you come to visit Madrid
  • think i got this too...he calls him self craig, says he's from VA...widow...in nigeria to see mom who was in hospital, got sick was stuck there now mom passed away....he keeps asking me for money i told him "no" then i contacted the US embassy in nigeria, and i told him this: they will get u home if you really need to get home, you are a US citizen they won't leave you in nigeria" i gave him all the contact numbers and now he doesn't email/talk to me anymore....he obviously figured out i'm not stupid :) remember, if tis the most desparate story ever....its not true....no ones life comes crashing down like that....if you had money to get to nigeria, u got money to get home
  • l did exactly the same, l called the consular services when needed medical attention with the same answers, helped me finding out that they were surely scammers, so l told him they will help and get home if really needed, as been an uk citizen, gave him all the contact numbers but still even though he figures out we´re not stupids, some still will tell you not all are the same, they got problems and cannot tell, they are still there telling you is all about TRUST between you two, you get stuck under psychological pressure, making you feeling guilty, they are still after your feelings and emotional weakness waiting for the minimum opportunity...
  • Add Raymond Bakker to the list of names...like all of you, I should have known he was too good to be real. This guy claims to live near Greensboro, NC and says he's from the Netherlands. I found him on match.com about a month ago. Just as we connected by email, he said he was leaving for a 2-3 week trip to Africa to buy gems and artifacts for his jewelry business. We chatted and emailed for about 3 weeks before he asked for my help just a few minutes ago. Allegedly, his return to NC has been delayed while his purchases clear through Customs. Now, his elderly mother (who still lives in Rotterdam) is ill and hospitalized and he needs to go visit her, then return to Lagos Nigeria to ship his purchases, and then fly out for NC. BUT...since his trip has taken longer than he planned, he is out of money and needs my help to purchase a plane ticket to the Netherlands. He says he already has his ticket to the US and can't reroute it. And that he cannot use a credit card in Nigeria to purchase another ticket. Every suggestion I made (consulate, bank wiring money to the hotel, sending me his credit card number so that I can purchase the ticket for him, etc.) would not work for various reasons.

I never thought I'd be glad that I don't have any money to spare, but thankfully, I was not tempted to help him because I truly do not have the money! As soon as I explained to him that the reason he is having trouble getting any help there with this situation is because there are so many scams coming out of Nigeria and that his sounds very similar to others I've seen on this site, he told me how sad it made him since he had been nothing but honest with me, and then he immediately went offline. Oh, well...I've learned a new lesson.
  • Dear Worried
    I think a member of my family is being scammed by the same guy as you from what you have said and what she has told me about him. (Same name, profession, and location) I can not get her to see the truth. What can I do? I am so worried about her. She has fallen for him hook line and sinker. She has sent him money one time and is getting ready to do it again.
  • Dear Worried

Show her this site and if she can't see she is being scammed / taken for a ride then more fool her. You can't make folks stop sending money etc but hopefully reading all these notes she will come to her senses. There is nothing much else you can do other than to be there for her when she does realise nothing will come of her 'romance' other than becoming broke. It's a hard one but only she can sort out.
  • There's a great probablity that some of these things can be true but not all.....People get into situations like this for real. Some of these comments above have helped in combating the romance scam while it has also ended some real ones as well..I think people should come up with proves as well to indicate that these people are scammers.These scammers takes what happens in reality and use it as a scam technique. People have had problems like this but at the end they made it true...We have to be cautious but at the same time we ought to know when we are making a mistake and when we are doing the right thing...One can also use this as a set up as well due to difference, race and color..I'm a wittness. Wicked people can go extra mile to hurt someone..I love this site and at the same time i hate it when it does the the wrong thing to relationships. Thank You
  • I wrote yesterday about a family member that I am very sure is being scammed by a guy named Ron. I sent her to this site and she is now mad at ME instead of the scammer. She is very dear to us but I guess it will be worth it if it wakes her up and sees this guy for what he is. We have been trying to introduce her to a very nice man who lives here locally but she does not seem to be interested in meeting him, because she has been so totally blown over by the scum bag on the internet. I guess all we can do is continue to support and love her and hope she knows that we are here for her.
  • Dear What to do

You did the right thing - take it from one that was scammed and saw the light. She is mad at you because she is probably taking her frustration/hurt etc out on you. I felt totally ashamed couldn't tell anyone in case I got the lecture etc etc but once I finally told a few close friends it eased the hurt / the feeling of being stupid/made a fool of. I can usually see a scam a mile away but being in a low vulnerable place at the time let my guard down. I felt more ashamed of what I did, your friend may feel the same. I didn't lash out at friends I took it out on something else.

Hang in there for her and don't give up on her - you are a good friend/family member
  • Dear what to do?
    First of all go easy on yourself. You did the right thing. YOu might want to show her this site and let her read some of my entries about Ron. It may work, it may not. I know I could not even think he was scamming me..I was so totally enamoured by him and his charm. His story became questionable when the hotel took his computer and travel documents. I tried to get him to go to the American Embassy there in Lagos...he had an answer for everything I suggested. He only wanted me to send him money. I tried to help him cause I cared for him. ( Luckily , I have no money to send, so that wasn't a worrry for me. ), then the story got better and better. He had to sleep on the site on the floor. No mosquito net....and you know what? He came down with malaria. He needed money for the hospital. He was IM'ing me using the doctors computer in the hospital. So he said...what doctor do you know allows a patient to use his computer?? Some things just didn't add up. What business man travels without a Master Card or VISA or American Express?? None that I know of. Last word received was he was back in the hospital having a relapse of malaria and needed money.
    My thoughts are : if they are asking you for money and they havent' met you yet..their circle of friends and family must be so small...would you want to get into that for real?? Be their ONLY friend??
    Just be supportive of your friend/ relative. It's shocking to think that you've been scammed. It takes time to get over.
    Good luck.
    Worried.
    PS. IS his name Ron Thorsen? claiming to be from Colorado? and in Lagos Nigeria??
  • Dear Worried,
    She met him on match.com and so much of what you have said sounds like the same man. When I started telling her not to send him any money she quite talking to me about him. She had a picture of him in her livingroom for a while. He was stand beside a car. I found out by accident that she has withdrawn everything she has and I know it must be to send to him. She is so mad at me she will not answer the phone when I call. When I sent her a link to this site she told me not to send her anything else. My husband and I are so worried about her, but don't know what to do.
  • I think it may be the same man. I met him on Match.com also. He was wearing a shirt and tie and black pants and one photo was him beside a car ( Jaguar?? Not sure) that was parked in a circular driveway. The other picture was him near a computer and the other photo was him standing on a white porch. All photos had him in a shirt and tie...the thing is..it's probably not even the man in the photo...they can steal these photos and use them without anyone's knowledge. That person in the photo is a victim also.
    You have done all you can to help your friend...when she uses all her resources and has nothing to show from it..then that's a hard lesson to learn. Some people must experience it, unfortunately. I am lucky...I just deleted him from my IM Yahoo account...
    Take care and know you have done all you could have.
    Worried.
  • Why don't you guys petition Match.com to issue a warning to all their subscribers that scammers operate on their site?

If enough people write to them and complain they must act.

It could save a lot of heartbreak and lost money for some people.
  • I am quietly living here in a country but not my homecountry. When a coinsidence happened that many guys suddenly became interested in me. Unexpected because I am not pretty though. I have accepted 3 of them, 2 for friendship and 1 for business realations. Chatting with them, i came to know that they are working in Nigeria. I have thought already of the possiblity of scams, but as many says so, they send you notes which you really thinks they are sincere and even the picture were convincing. Too bad for the real person in the pictures, because they were being exploited. one month of chatting, i must admit i had fallen in love with the 1st guy, and he too have said that he can't live with out me. 2 guys told me that they lost their wife in a car accident and the other in an aircraft mishap. The first guy's story is about the draft he received from his contract and now he wants to leave Nigeria because of the current situation in Delta Region. He ask me to send him money for ticket and he will pay me back once we met. So I told myself, THIS IS IT! Istop the communication at once. This 3rd guy, we have only exchange words 3 times and he was already telling about an inheritance that he want to bring out of his country but his country won't allow. The 2nd guy, which is up to this writing, we only talk as friends. But he is also telling that he is preassured to finish his work and the amount he will get is substantial. After this 2 guys, I already have the feeling that this 2nd guy will also tell me the same story. So guy and lasies out there, just be very careful and be aware of these on going scams.
  • I met a man on match.com just a few weeks ago, asking that I write to him directly to him his acct. at match.com was ending. He was asking for money to help with shipping his newly bought vehicles to bring to the USA to start a new business and that he would give me a car or double my money. His father died before he was born, mother died 3 days after he was born, wife cheated on him and died, leaving him a 20 yr old son named Richard. Grandmother who raised him died in 2007. This man goes by the name of Michael W. Smith, real common name. He asked that I mail him money to Ryan Chapell at 20 Aleen Ave. Lagos, 23401 Nigeria. Saying this was the Customs office. I checked online and that wasn't the real address of the Nigeria Customs Service. His email address is Williams_81@yahoo.com. Ladies please be aware. He told me that he loved me after the 5th or 6th conversation. He gave me his cell number, but I could never get through, not a working number it would report. I don't feel foolish since I didn't send him money but thought about doing so several times. There are people like you reporting this kind of thing here to warn us of jerks like him. I'm being kind with my adjectives.
  • I'm blown away by what I'm reading. I didn't know that there was any woman in the whole wide world who didn't know to run a million miles from a man who mentions the word "Nigeria" in an approach from a dating site.

Nigerian SCAM emails have been doing the rounds for umpteen dozen years. As SCAM blockers got better, and fewer could reach your real inbox, these people (and there are thousands of them) started using dating sites to make contact with lonely, vulnerable people. Our major New Zealand dating site has few men trying it on, but lots of lovely women from Russia vying for men's attention.

A genuine man/woman really looking for love will not ever, ever, ever try and coerce money out of you for any reason at all. At the minor end of the scale is "please top up my pre~paid mobile/cell phone so I can call you", to requests for thousands of dollars.... but many are merely of the "I want to meet you, but can you please send me the air~fare?" type.

If you are still chatting to any person claiming one of these sob~stories, please go and talk to a counsellor, (if you really feel you're grieving) and the police, (if in doubt, so they CAN convince you of the futility).

AND, as someone else has suggested.... complain over and over again, long and loudly to ANY dating web~site administrators who will not take action to prevent scammers having access to their services. They can put safe~guards in place. Use their public forums to raise this topic over and over again, if they refuse to act responsibly.

BEtter still.... only join dating web~site that do have a safety policy of instantly blocking anyone that acts suspiciously, and always, always complain if you get any similar approach again. You might be wary, but some other poor woman may be as innocent and naieve as you've all been.
  • Hi guys,

I am a Nigerian living in South Africa and i must apologize on behalf of genuine Nigerians out there. Even as a Nigerian they also send me scam emails proclaiming their undying love for me, huge money from some bank in the US, re-activating my credit card or debit card etc but honestly why would anyone says he or she loves you without even seeing you in person? Why should anyone ask for your help to retrieve some huge amount of money?

These guys use the greed of people to scam them and it is morally wrong and a crime for you to help someone retrieve huge amount of money from God knows where.

There are lots of genuine Nigerians out there it's just a small fraction of these idiots that send bulk scam emails, they do this everyday and imagine how many people can receive the mails weekly. Be careful never to give anybody your hard earned cash, most genuine Nigerians are hardworking and wouldn't ask for your money.

I would also suggest if you intend dating a honest Nigerian, try and know him better via facebook where you can reach out to him, his friends, families and employees.

Some of them claim to work for big companies etc in NIgeria but they use common email ads such as yahoo, gmail etc

Lastly it's not just Nigerians who perpetuate all these fraudulent activities, some of them only hide under the guise of being a Nigerian. Get smart people.
  • Does anyone know a David Shive living in Nigeria working for a construction (roads and bridges) ask for money he has a 9 year old daughter and her mother died 6 years ago from breast cancer. He said he did not have any money and waithing to be paid in about 4 weeks so he can go back to Indiana. He stated he is Swedish? Please let me know I met him on a dating site as well. I am on a fixed income. Someone please help as I feel sorry for the little girl.

Just call me stupid
  • ok her eis my story and i am praying it is nto true, this guy says his name is bill white says he does transporting and exporting and lives in atlantic beach, went to nigeria on business and he and his son were returning from beach got robbed his visa card and also laptop, i fell for him in a dating service called bbpeople.com, he sent pics and all well short story here i sent him 300 for plane ticket he said when he went there they told him he needed bta to leave country? it was 450 he has 200 needs 250 to come home to ME please helppppp in so many words i fell hard for him, and in so many words i feel like i am being played but don't want to belibve it, :( confused here,also he calls me all hrs and says he loves me wants me to be his wife he can't go without thinking about me,he texts me gave me a cell number, and also might i add he says he lost his card and the card compnay won't release it till he gets t the US,yes i fell big time he sounds so real is there a way i can find out if he is for real or not,his name is searching4soul009 and on yahoo it is the same plz help me
  • Dear Roni & lonely63

Reading what you write they are both scammers you'll never see them. Names change but stories stay the same - cut contact with them no matter how much you love them - keep your money go on a singles holiday and you might just meet that someone special on that - least you'll see where your money has gone

take care
  • Well as soon as the alarm bells rang for me i did a search as i had been told there was a problem with travellers checks (yeah right i thought), then this very informative page came up...and guess what, after reading through some of the very sad storries of those who fell foul to the scammers...there he was..the one i was very sceptical about in the first place!
    His name is still Eric and i met him on match.com but it is now Eric Benito, he did the same as before removing his profile once contact was made.
    So express and DC he is still out there using match.com and trying to scam lonely women who unfortunately just want to find love.
    Well i am likewise going to send him the little snippets i have learned here and see his reaction, but am glad to say it has cost me nothing but a little of my time and he does not know my address or work.
  • I have met a new person on line. Says he is in Africa closing out his father's estate. His father passed on recently. He said he has a problem and can't get his fathers will because in the documents he must have a wife prior to getting into his will.....know where this is going ladies...??? he asked me if I would be interested in becoming his wife so he could get his fathers estate money. I told him no. This is a new slant on things...another way to get information from us..bank info..name, social security #...etc..etc...
    Just be smart...as you go through the internet dating scene...
    FYI, I have removed my contacts of scammers from my IM list, but there are so many out there...as you chat, guard your heart, watch their words, if it feels too good to be true...then man, it probably is.
    Remember: would you give the man in the next booth , at a restaurant, 6500.00 if he called you sweetie and said he loved you?? keep that visual in your head when you get asked on line for the money.
    Best wishes for finding your prince/ princess.
    Worried.
  • Has this ever happened to anyone on true.com?
  • Anyone who has contact with James Diotiguardi Williams...he is a scammer same as all the other stories basically ...everything he has told me fit all the criteria for a scammer...he will break your heart..its made me feel sick inside..i just thank god i never sent any money as soon as he asked me for money alarm bells started ringing and i was out of there!! his email is jameswilliams00166@yahoo.com..if this man makes contact with you dont fall for him
  • It's incredible !!! I'm a french girl and I met a boy on meetic this week, his name is Williams and the e-mail he gives to me is efontete@live.com
    It's the same guy that the case of "Total Broken" ! Thanks to this forum I know he's a scammer !
  • Well I've had my doubts about my friend from the moment he asked me for $500 then got angry at me. He promised to fulfill all my wishes and said he would buy me some beautiful jewellery. Next thing I know he needs that money to help with the shipping costs. I told him I didnt have that kind of money and who knows if that this alleged package even has $500 worth of good jewellery in it anyway? He said he lived in GA but had an architectural project in Nigeria and when he was supposed to come back home he accidentally knocked down a pregnant women and her operation ook over $30000 from his savings account. He needed me to send him some money to pay his hotel bills and to buy him some food. He professed his undying love me for everyday since then. I refused to send him money again and he said he noticed that everytime he's in a tight spot I never help him out. That's cause I'm not retarded. Well tonight, was the end of everything. He asked me to send him some money again cause he's sick and his meds are costing him alot and he needs money to get him through the weekendm even if it's only $200. I told him I'd try and then I came across this site, read some of the stories and it broke my heart to hear that this "wonderful" man used my feelings to get some cash from me which he never got anyway. When we spoke on the phone I detected the strong accent but he told me he's from Italian heritage....has a 6yr old daughter, was married but his wife died while giving birth to his daughter. Heartfelt story, gorgeous man in the photos but he seemed too good to be true. Sent me the most romantic poems but I cut and pasted some parts of it into google and there was a site where he go every one of them from. When I confronted him with it he became so angry and told me I was troublesome repeatedly and then tried to calm down and told me he loved me. Even proposed to me in an email once but come on we've never met so that was ridiculous. Well tonight things came to an abrupt end and for future reference his name is Mcshawn Foster, met him on myspace.com, email address mcshawn_foster@yahoo.com

Be forewarned ladies cause the smooth lines will only give you absolute heartreak later. If it wasnt for this site to really open my eyes I dont know where I'd be right now, maybe still falling for him and his pathetic lies.
  • Bitter,
    Thank goodnees you found this site and didn't send him any money. That is a good thing. Go easy on your self..we have all been in your shoes, which is why I wrote the original question about cashing checks in Nigeria.
    They want one thing: our money and then you never see them. Be kind to yourself and be thankful you found this site before you sent him anything. Your heart will heal...but your bank account will not...
    It's all a learning experience in the area of online dating. Just be careful..remember: if he seems too good to be true, he probably is.
    Worried.
  • LADIES BEWARE!!!! PLEASE DON"T FALL FOR RAYMOND BAKKER AND HIS SCAMS. HE GOES BY OTHER NAMES TOO. dON'T FALL FOR HIS PICTURE OF HIM ON A BOAT IN THE NETHERLANDS. iTS NOT HIM>>
  • Add jimcarter1x@ymail.com to the list. He was on match.com, took his profile down...we talked for a month, came on real strong, wrote the poetry that got me suspicious because the gender tense was wrong(lol), wife died in car crash 2 years ago. he is in nigeria working, little girl came down with milaria, only has $350 has to pay doctor at hospital for her care since his insurnce is from america needs cash up front. he didn't come out and ask me for money, but i knew that was what he wanted. i suggested he call the us consulate and he said its not the united states things are different there....red flag #2,,,asked he if wanted money and said he could ask me but what ever i could spare....red flag#3,,, gave me address on doctor to send money via "Moneygram"......decided to do some checking came across this site, thanks guys. Would love to figure out how to trace email addy back...or ip address.....

cant wait to hear back from him, time to have some fun with this ahole....
  • Bitter,

I have been responding with "McShawn Foster" since late May. I always felt something was off with him, just seemed to good to be true. He never asked me for $ out right, he just wanted to transfer $ from his BOA account to mine. Thankfully, no $ was exchanged. Like you, I am not stupid or naive. Thanks for showing us all who he truly is. Better luck to us all.
  • Thanks to all those who responded to my posts. I've of course blocked him (McShawn Foster) and deleted him from my personal contacts list. I'm not crying over this thankfully cause I've always had my suspicions but also wanted things to go well for a change. Better luck next time huh?
  • I can't believe that I am stupid enough to fall for the same lines as mentioned by other women. I too fell for the romance ...lies. Met him on match.com however he is still listed on there. Goes by jwmixon or james william says he is originally from Indiana is an engineer in telecommunications. He is currently in Lagos,nigeria recently was involved in a car accident and is in the hospital with broken leg and other injuries. He is widowed and has 2 children but only talks of his daughter Jennifer. He has a very thick spanish accent that does not go with the pictures. Although when confronted with this says he travels and spanish is his 2nd language. Unfortunatly I fell for sending him money for daughter, cash because he can't cash in travelers cheques etc.... Told him that the embassy can help and he is looking into this. A lot of the things he says are right on the money but I'm sure he smart enough to do his homework. Tells me he is shy and doesn't want to ask me for money but when confronted that he is a scam artist was very hurt and said that he would never do this to the woman he loves so much. I too have called him but he has also called me and gave me his other email address. I can check to se if he reads the emails from match and he does. Do you think he is scamming me or what? I have told him that I will not be sending him anymore money and yet he still calls and txt or emails me. I am hoping tht this is not a scam but all the signs seem to be there, Has anyone else talked with him? this started about 4-5 weeks ago.
  • Hi I am so glad I decided to become a detective...?!! I too met a guy 2 weeks ago on Match.com. He went by the name Matthew Gearhart...ring any bells? He was 39 and a contract engineer. His story was that he was married for 2 yrs and his wife died leaving behind a daughter sharon who will be 8 in August? He was baby this and sweetie pie that all the time and I told him to stop. He cancelled his membership with Match.com the minute I responded. His picture was by a sail both..But he could never send me one when I asked.. He said his daughter lived with his mother in Albany when he was away on business. He had a place in the UK also.. I was sick of his persistence and his to die for romantic poems which drove me crazy. Then he im's and its all broken english. I asked him for his number and called him and I told him he sounded like someone out of the African jungle( pls no offense to anyone) and not an american; born in Missouri? He got mad at his... Then I told him I lost my job which I did and he couldn't seem to care less....or anything about my family so I was really starting to spot a dirty rat. Next his 40th b'day came around yesterday..lol. More lies..But today, July 23 rd beat all as he asked me for money and I let him have it in no uncertain terms calling him a no good low down dirty rotten piece of sh** scammer...lol. Made me feel so much better..He was sooo offended and said I was so rude and would prove his innocence. I told him that my sis-in-law brother worked for the FBI out of France and that he was messing with the wrong lady.... Within a flash...he was gone. And boy am I relieved? I am disgusted that Match.com do not do a better background check on these losers...But what goes around does come around...so he will burn in hell...
    It was so great to see that I was not thee only fool and I am dying to know if anyone else connected with MATT? Take good care everyone... Oh and he used to sign off with Muah?
    Irish
  • hello friends you all ..i faced the same cheating scam that one lady from lagos, nigeria, asked me to send money for visa ,then i sent her,she did not come ,showed she met an accident,then asked me to believe her,& to send money again.i did not send, but i see,she now told she has no money to sit in cyber cafe to chat, or to give mobile calls.Now she stopped all contacts.
    what a cheat ..!!
  • Have had two similar experiences, and unfortunately have lost thousands to the one scammer. One man goes by Steve Morgan, 39 according to myspace, but he says he's 35 and a friend set up the account. Says he is an engineer doing bridge construction in Nigeria but is a dual U.S. and Swedish citizen. Mother is Swedish and Nigerian, but mom is in hospital with cancer. He is trying to get her to states. I sent lots of money, low and behold, he ends up in a car crash on the way to the airport and mom was killed. Doctors contacted me, I didn't respond, but now Steve is back and saying he loves me and is in bad health, needs more money for mom's funeral. Not going to fall for it this time. Also Samuel Louis-48 years old, living in New York, professional soccer scout-widowed six years (wife died in car crash on her birthday in new car he bought her), supposedly was in Nigeria scouting for a UK soccer team and needed money to pay for soccer players to leave country-I lost $700 there. So then he is coming home, can you believe it? He was injured in a car accident on the way to the airport! I find it hard to believe there are that many bad drivers in NIgeria, but ok...So then he finally Im's me and emails me about a week later and is typing just as fast as he can, although he supposedly has a broken arm and shoulder....then when I didn't respond he sent messages that i abandoned him, etc...I cannot believe these guys, make me sick to my stomach and hope they know what comes around, goes around...
  • Wow,

I am reading all these emails and I am very confused. I met a gentleman online back October 1, 2008. He introduced himself as Captain Mike Wash. He is originally from Belgium brought to the US at an early age then after his parents passed he was brought back to Belgium to live with his grandmother. This part is believable.

He chose to return to the US get his education and join the US army at a tender age. Along the way he married and stayrf that way for 15 years or so until his wife died in childbirth 6 years ago. His son was entrusted with a nanny. Now this is where things get muddy.

He just retired from the Military now a colonel and was heading back to the US last Wednesday to be with me. He had a chartered flight from Afghanistan that would have a stopover in London. I had a time and an airport to go to. Well well well, at the airport, I received an email telling me his young son had a cardiac thrombosis while in England and was being moved to London for emergency treatment.

We have been very close up until this event and I am lost. I left the airport as I came , by myself. He has been emailing ever since except within the last day or so telling me the latest of his son. He had not planned this kind of event and needs help to pay for the doctor and hospital. I suggested if I could help to send the money directly to the hospital and the doctor by western union.

He was not pleased with idea because his sons life is at stake and he is a high ranking military official and this just happened to happen as he was returning form the last time from Afghanistan as a retiree. He has a business that he began prior to his last tour to the war. He has agents that he trusts to handle his money. My thought is if it is such an emergency why use agents? Why does he have a problem with me having people send funds directly to the hospital or the doctor?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion