Money scams from Nigeria: beware!
  • taken 4 a ride

That's kinda funny because we got married on Jan. 24 and that was the happiest day of his life, how many frickin wives do you think he has? Can I ask you if you gave him any money? Did you do the same thing with him and say wedding vows to each other? I have so much to tell you about what is going on, if you would like to talk. My e-mail is sancal56@yahoo.com
  • I'm A Nigerian with a difference. Please ''DO NOT'' pay anyone Money or send Money either...Its is an advance fee fraud..... Thank you.
    If you care to know more about Nigeria and other Interesting offered I could be of assistance free of charge.
    email me on d100ng@yahoo.com
    BB Pin ; 216EDCAA
  • Hello everyone! So many amazing stories, yet all too real! I suppose these men think just cause your on a dating site its sheer desperation! Totally wrong. Here's the latest on my whirlwind romance. Met a guy on Spark.com 2-11-10 by the name of Joe Smith Powell, sounds American enough. He's caucasian, 41 and a building contractor who lives in San Antonio, Tx. Fell in love in less than 8 hours. Wow! Motto: LOVE HAS NO COST! He supposedly left for Lagos Nigeria to build a large hotel on 2-13-10. The biggest hotel in Nigeria. Talked and im'd reguarly. Poetry and lots of I LOVE YOU'S. This guy sent 3 boxes of gifts on 2-16-10. Lovely gifts. But that wasnt enough. He sent another on 2-17-10, and again some more lovely gifts. He asked me to send him a Val gift and had much nerve to ask for an IPOD and Gold chain and wanted to know the price. He even gave me an address as follows:
    Receiver Name: IFEANYI OKONTA
    ADRESS : 30 FAJUMOBI
    STREET: MICOM BUS/STOP
    CITY: EGBEDA
    COUNTRY NIGERIA ZIP:23401
    PHONE: 234-8028873900>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    His email address cutestheartjoe@yahoo.com. From the beginning I questioned his authenticity. I have never been stupid to believe everything I'm told cause a pair of lips say anything. We talked Wednesday and Thursday morning 2-18-10 U.S. TIME. I'm at work when I receive a phone call exactly 35 minutes after Joe and I talk. It was the hotel manager(yeah right). There was an incident. Joe was robbed of his laptop, wallet with credit cards and cash and stabbed. The hotel mgr couldnt give details, but would call me every hour on the hour. WOW! Six hours past and I called to check on his status. His (doctor) answered the phone and told me he needed money to continue treatment. Joe had stitches supposedly to his hand and chest. Being a nurse He would have needed a chest tube!!! lol JOE didnt have one. Finally Joe answered the phone and told me he was weak, and dying. On Friday 2-19-10 many calls came in and i didnt answer them til late in the day. He needed treatment a.s.a.p. Joe asked me for $700.00 to complete treatment. Then Joe put another guy on the phone who said that he gave Joe $300.00 and he needed $300.00 more. Joe told me to get a bank loan or borrow from friends. Joes words, "TRUST ME BABES." Sitting at work it didnt sound right. I thought about it, and thought about it. I then told him that I had $1700 and i sent that info in a text. Immediately he called and asked me to wire the money. He would have a friend pick the money up. I told him okay. I knew when I said $1700 he would call, but I didnt have the money. Today 2-20-10 he called my phone 10 times and sent poetry. I answered my phone and told him I dont like stress and he apologized which meant nothing to me. I told Joe I would call the Embassy and he stated that they wouldnt help him. ?REALLY? I also told Joe I would go to the police in my town, not sure of what they could do, but it sounded good to say. Joe got angry and didnt like those ideas. He told me that people wouldnt understand the Love we have for one another. I'm not in Love. Joe said " if you can get 300.00 to help with my situation that would be of great help. I told him I have no money. Joe preceded to say that he could get the money from the hotel manager who is "GAY'' HIS WORDS and he would require him to have sex. And I could pay back the money at the end of the month. Doesnt matter to me either way. He is to call later. HOW CRAZY IS A MAN TO BELIEVE THAT ALL WOMEN HAVE A LOW SELF-ESTEEM THAT THEY WOULD FALL IN LOVE SO QUICK WITH A TOTAL STRANGER?
  • The thing about these people is they don't stop. They just find someone else. The bottom line is if they ask for money...run, and run fast. They are scamming. They have similar MO's...and it's kind of funny actually...reading your comment you posted today. Sounds very similar to my experience with my guy. I just deleted him. I would delete him from your contacts and count your blessings you were smart about it.
    We all need to be aware on the internet.
    Worried.
  • I want to become a member! i wrote an hour ago but unable to use same name
  • Hi Everyone,
    I let my friends convince me to go on one of these websites to meet people,the first day,Valentine"S day actually I got a hit with this Mavin Cole Character,boy did he spin a story about being alone after his wife died in child birth two years ago,aparently so did his son,his parents died eight years before that,trying to get me to feel sorry for him I'm sure then within days he was telling me he was in love with me,like I believed that...NOT.But unfortunately I think a lot would and I know even I doubted myself for about 24 hours,but I did realise as an intelligent woman that this was setting up to be a scam...Then he tried to persuade me by sending my a photo of some wealthy looking home in England,before that he told me he had a BMW Motorbike,A Benz 500 and a 2008 Toyota sound fimilar too anyone out there? I turned the tables on him and actually got him to admit to me that he was indeed from NIgeria apparently from the Delta state,Ihe is 28yrs old,parents are dead apparently but he has three brothers,originally he told me he was an only child,except that his parents had adopted a brother and he had nothing to do with this brotherbecause he had tried to rape his now deceased wife.If any of this sound familiar ladies do yourself a favour and drop this loser...but please do not feel embarassed or belittled as he is the villian in this story not you,he wouldn't have got to you if you had not been a caring person in the first place.I was lucky I had jerks in my family that were con artist so I grew up with deceit and know when I am being con...so I turned the tables on him,got his trust then dumped the jerk!! I hope you dump him also....
  • Hi Everyone,

It's Annie again,this creep also said he was a Civil Engineer,that alerted me as he didn't write like an educated man...I was also on Match.com I am now off it and won't be pursuing this action again.
    Oh he send me a photograph of a white man nursing a dark child her name was suppose to be Cindy.My daughter fund quite a few things about this Mavin Cole already posted by other woman.If you would like to talk about your experience or someone you think might be scamming you,you can get me on this email address charliebel@westnet.com.au Put I want to talk in the subjest box....
  • I too have a story similar to these - I met Wilson John on match.com who immediately closed his account and professed his great love for me. What to look out for, undying love even though you've never met... right. Claiming to have lived in the U.S. for over 30 years but has a vocabulary of a 15 year old, doesn't spell correctly and who's grammer makes you question his education. No educated man that is a civil engineer would talk the way these do... trust me.. I know, as I work for a civil engineering firm. Mine has a 7 year old daughter Kattie (her picture, she looks about 5) and a 9 year old son Josh. Both are so excited that I am now in their lives (they've never met me). Well low and behold just days before he was to return to the States from a job in Nigeria, OUR beloved Kattie fainted in the bathroom and he had to attend to her. Now mind you he did shut down the IM'ing but not more than three minutes later he is back online sending an e-mail telling me he had to take her to the emergency room and no-one knows whats wrong. I'm sorry in three minutes you made it to the hospital... I think not. That is when the push comes - he needed to take her to a better hospital for treatment, then they wouldn't start treatment without being paid, he forgot her insurance card in the States, he had to sell his watch to raise money... wouldn't I open my purse for our love. Yesterday, he was able to raise $550 of the $1000 he wanted to "borrow" in order to move her to a private hospital and start treatment (he sold his computer.... then how does he still IM with me?). None of my suggestions work, call the American Embassy - with your passport they will assist you, no matter what - they won't help him. He doesn't have access to his pay as his employers have wired it to the States - any reputable bank in Nigeria will initiate a wire transfer from a bank in the States with the proper identification - they won't for him. I offered to take his social security number, address on the account and account number to the bank (we bank at the same bank and I know the manager) and access his money for him and then wire it to him - no that won't work either. However, todays was the best - he has a credit card but he tried to tell me that "you can't use credit cards in Africa".... excuse me, maybe not in the small villages but you said you were in Lagos.

I would advise everyone to trust your instincts, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. No educated person who claims to be from the States has such a poor use of the English language. DON'T SEND MONEY.... but I do encourage you to play with them. I've been having a lot of fun the last couple of days to see how he will wiggle out of these things.

Keep in mind 1) With a U.S. Passport the American Embassy WILL help any citizen; 2) Banks do reverse wire transfers all the time and it isn't difficult with the proper identification; 3) here is a really good one - to go to Nigeria you have to have a visa and according to the agency I called it usually takes 2 to 15 days to get one and currently it is at 7-8 days... also if it is a business visa - remember they are working - they have to have a letter from the company they are working for a return ticket to the States (or wherever they are claiming to be from) and sufficient funds to hold them over; and 4) no hospital is going to withhold treatment from a person that is at deaths door.

That's all - I'm going back to play with my scammer mouse.
  • Hi, Just me,I loved what you have to say and I also have been playing games with this guy,lol...I told him I was some rich woman from Sydney,lol and he fell right into it,they aren't very intelligent are they.Anyway having fun now like you,he also asked me for an Australian postcode,so I gave him a phony one and he asked for another still I gave him a phony one,then he tells me it's not working...and I told him did he really think I would help him to scam other people,der!! I don't contact him,just put myself on line and he keeps contacting me,so I play along,but at some point I will end it as it's probably not a safe thing to continue...oh he ask if I could help get him out of there now with some document,wouldn't say what document,but I guess his heading towards marriage,if I'm not mistaken.Annie
    Feel free to email me "Just Me"
  • I am just wondering if anyone has ever been contacted by a Philip Kester? He got my profile information from 'singlesnet.com'. Haven't sent money yet, but his story sounds so much like many others on here.
  • OMG...i am so happy that I found this site....I met a guy on Yahoo personals, and it claimed he was from the mid-west, but when we started to talk, he was a superintendent in Lagos, Nigeria. Building a orphanage, he had worked in four other countries in Africa, and this was his last site. Well, his words were sweet, he e-mails flattering, and I started to have some real feelings for him. Everything was fine until a few days before he was scheduled to leave. He had some equipment to ship to Hungary, and receive payment from the Minister. He sent me a copy of the shipping receipt, and a check made payable to him in the amount of 1.8 million dollars. He does not bank in Nigeria, and he spent all his cash on shipping equipment. He has a daughter that is 5 years old, and he is a widower. When I researched the shipping company, in Lagos and Dubai, it did not exist. So he needed to borrow $4700 to cover airfare. I offered to put the airfare on my cc, no, wouldn't work, Murtala would not allow e-ticket, He had no credit card to do a cash advance with, so I suggested he go online and apply for one or two, and he could do a cash advance....Not til he gets to the US, was his response. How can a man who claims to earn that kind of money, be penniless to the point of having to sell his watch to get money...Doesn't add up...well, I made the offer again of purchasing the airfare myself, and he rejected....so, he is on his own. These guys really know all the right things to say, and I believe that the pictures he used were actually of himself...So ladies, beware....by the way....his name is Ortiz Scott Bruce, Scott Bruce for short, and his email/IM is ortizsb@yahoo.com... I did a e-mail searc on this, and he has no social sites, facebook, twitter,dating, ebay, amazon, etc. tied to this account. Beware....
  • I think i was scammed by this so called cool and careing person. he claimed he is the Head of Logistics dept of United Nations UK Divsion but i email the UK div they didnt know him. he's sending me valuables thngs but was stranded at airport bcoz he also sent money inside the luggage..now i have to pay for the excess luggage, custom clearance and now the demourage of rm15k! and as notified in the story above the modus operandi was the same, bargain the amount until its half! he keeps me paying and paying as he said he cant lie to me coz he loves me so much and he even cried over the phone.. as usual he has a daughter of 15 yrs of age and so fond of me..he even asked her daughter to ring me to help him to pay for the demourage.. am confused as am so touched by his words.. but there are many persons involved..not only him and even the officer in charge of the luggages treatened me that she will put me in jail if i dont pay the demourage charges by tomorrow...
  • Hello, Well where I start? I met James Jones from houston, Texas on yahoo.com! We were like soulmates he claimed, we had so much in common. He had a son 15yrs.old and lived with mother. Wife died of a heart deased. He had never been in a long time relationship since she passed on. Anyways was leaving to go to Nigeria on some kind of engineering job and would be back home in a month, this is back in September 2009. We wrote and talked daily, couldn't go a day without talking to each other. He was my prince charming coming to take me away from my life of being a doormat. Sounded so sincere and concerned about my well-being. Well, a month later he came online to chat and said he was so depressed and sad, I asked why he said the Nigerian coast guard stop his materials and would not let him receive it unless he paid shipment taxes that he didn't know about and he would go to jail if doesn't come up with the money. He asked his mother and friends to help and he would like me to help. He would pay it all back as soon as he gets the check for the project he is doing. And if our love is as strong as we say it is I should take the risk. I should believe in him! I questioned about things and also said my family told me I shouldn't because for all they know he could be a scam artist! He got upset and sad and told me to go ahead listen to my family if I don't think our love for each other don't mean a thing! God brought us together and I should trust him and believe in him! I should have Faith in our happiness. So I thought and thought about it! Than he asked if I could do him a favor his mom's friend lives in Austrilia and owes his mom money so his mom contact her friend and gave my name and sent me 500.00 at first and another 350. through Western Union. I was to send him the money when I got it because the mother's friend don't know or it was difficult for her to send it directly to him since it was Nigeria. So I did this for a couple of times, at the same time he knew I was getting a insurrance settlement for an accident that I was in a year ago. When it came in James mentioned how he trusted me with his money the mother's friend was sending so please trust him and help him out. He is a God fearing man and would do the right thing when he gets paid. Ok stupid me fell for it, for I was so in love with the poetry and the unconditional love he was offering and for someone like me who has been used as a living doormat, verbally abused for 29 yrs I sent him money I should have used for my kids x-mas. James promised to have me paid back by than. In two weeks we were going to be together and he was going to pay for my flight fare plus my daughters tooo. Even after paying me back the 1400 he burrowed. but as time got closer to our togetherness one detour lead to another. He couldn't cash the check their had to wait to come home and deposit it in his account, and didn't want to special delivery it home for his mom to deposit it for him because he has never done that before and it might get lost! So he needed to get home so needed plane fare. I help with another 200. and mom and friends help with the rest. then when he had the money he said airline management dont allow passengers to fly without no money on hand they need atleast 1000. on hand even if it was in a check form. couldn't him! but got the money and was ready to ride the taxicab to airport and another delay happened.! The cab driver got them into an accident and he died but my friend broken his legged severely and ended in the hospital and when he arrived at the hospital the doc said all he could say is he loves didi and please don't be mad didi I love you very much and kept calling out didi. the doctor emailed me saying he had to email me for James Jones for he is a patient of his and he felt sorry for him. and now he needs treatment money and James is still unfit to travel so he needs meds money. I haven't heard his name mention here on this site but boy I feel used and scammed. We used to never miss a day of talking with each other and now with all the delays we might have talk once a week now. He still tells me I love you and can't wait to have me in his arms. Last week my mom when in to the hospital for a heart attack so I have been patient watching and hard to get on line to talk with him. But it is What is he waiting for an inheritance from Mother? What waiting to run me completely broke !!!!!!
    fallen angel of James
  • I posted on this site a few months ago about a scammer using the name of Donsmith080. I did not send him any money, but I had chatted with him via yahooim for 2 weeks and I was still pissed at the fact that he tried to scam me. He knew I'm a single mother and it just made me angry at the thought that he would try to prey on me like that. I met him on wealthymen.com. I used to use that site years back with no problem. Many times you are not just talking to one person, they switch up many times using the sam name and profile.

Someone mentioned in another post about whose picture was used for the phony profile. There are some select model sites they used. If you are suspicious, go to romancescam.com. It's a free site to help stop this scam. Databases are kept of all the names. Us victims go on and enter the names and stories. It's interesting to see how the stories match up. You can also submit pictures that they use. The profile of Kevin Smith and Bryan Smith has been used many times with the same model's picture. As a matter of fact, that's how I caught Don Smith, he was posing as black on some sites and white on other sites as Kevin Smith. The fool went on Blackplanet and mistakenly posted the white profile photo in his profile next to the black one!

Here are a few tips to recognize them before they even get to ask for money:

1. They are working in Nigeria for some reason but not from there.
    2. Any mention of Texas, many Nigerians live in and have ties to Houston.
    3. Sad story - widower, single father, no parents or other family, etc.
    4. They are online during odd hours. When I say odd hours, most of us may check our profile or messages during the day but usually if a man contacts you further via a dating site it's wvening hours. Beware if you check your profile during the early morning or middle of the day and someone is online and wants to initiate a chat. Apparently they stay logged in all day and lurk around for victims.
    5. Any mention of Italy- they start with the same basic script but add different bits here and there. For some reason they love using Italy as a place of origin.
    6. They talk about love and commitment very early.

7. They talk about religion and going to church.
    8. They immediately want to go off the dating site to Yahoo I'm. Never Google Talk, AIM or MSN, always Yahoo. I read somewhere that's because Yahoo is the IM service that best supports messaging service for all types of worldwide locations.

I hope this helps. The scammer I dealt with asked me for 1500. I didn't give it to him because by then I knew he was a Nigerian fraud. I told him off and he became very angry ad irrate. However, I've thought back about it every now and then and how I badly I would have felt if he had scammed me out of money. They prey on women whom they think are vulnerable and that sickens me. This man would inquire during our chat sessions how my son was doing, yet he would take money that should have gone to my son if I had let him? If my posts can prevent just one woman from being a victim, I'd be happy about that.
  • I posted on this site a few months ago about a scammer using the name of Donsmith080. I did not send him any money, but I had chatted with him via yahooim for 2 weeks and I was still pissed at the fact that he tried to scam me. He knew I'm a single mother and it just made me angry at the thought that he would try to prey on me like that. I met him on wealthymen.com. I used to use that site years back with no problem. Many times you are not just talking to one person, they switch up many times using the sam name and profile.

Someone mentioned in another post about whose picture was used for the phony profile. There are some select model sites they used. If you are suspicious, go to romancescam.com. It's a free site to help stop this scam. Databases are kept of all the names. Us victims go on and enter the names and stories. It's interesting to see how the stories match up. You can also submit pictures that they use. The profile of Kevin Smith and Bryan Smith has been used many times with the same model's picture. As a matter of fact, that's how I caught Don Smith, he was posing as black on some sites and white on other sites as Kevin Smith. The fool went on Blackplanet and mistakenly posted the white profile photo in his profile next to the black one!

Here are a few tips to recognize them before they even get to ask for money:

1. They are working in Nigeria for some reason but not from there.
    2. Any mention of Texas, many Nigerians live in and have ties to Houston.
    3. Sad story - widower, single father, no parents or other family, etc.
    4. They are online during odd hours. When I say odd hours, most of us may check our profile or messages during the day but usually if a man contacts you further via a dating site it's wvening hours. Beware if you check your profile during the early morning or middle of the day and someone is online and wants to initiate a chat. Apparently they stay logged in all day and lurk around for victims.
    5. Any mention of Italy- they start with the same basic script but add different bits here and there. For some reason they love using Italy as a place of origin.
    6. They talk about love and commitment very early.

7. They talk about religion and going to church.
    8. They immediately want to go off the dating site to Yahoo I'm. Never Google Talk, AIM or MSN, always Yahoo. I read somewhere that's because Yahoo is the IM service that best supports messaging service for all types of worldwide locations.

I hope this helps. The scammer I dealt with asked me for 1500. I didn't give it to him because by then I knew he was a Nigerian fraud. I told him off and he became very angry ad irrate. However, I've thought back about it every now and then and how I badly I would have felt if he had scammed me out of money. They prey on women whom they think are vulnerable and that sickens me. This man would inquire during our chat sessions how my son was doing, yet he would take money that should have gone to my son if I had let him? If my posts can prevent just one woman from being a victim, I'd be happy about that.
  • I forgot, another clue is if you do start chatting with the person and you notice that the writing styles change. Some days Don Smith's writing was in perfect English. Some days he would leave out pronouns, for example, beginning a sentence with "Am" instead of "I am." Also, many misspelled words and incorrect verb tenses.
  • Wow, I am glad I found this site.I met this person on Match.com. I have been talking to a Steven Boyce from London, England who is a contractor that went to Nigeria to claim his goods from the government. He said he needed 17,500 to claims his goods and he was short $2,000. He wanted me to send him money, but I told him I live paycheck to paycheck (I was very suspicious). He then said any little amount would help at this time. I told him no. This has just happened in the last couple of days. Has anyone else out there dealt with a Steven Boyce who is a widow with two young girls? He claims his wife died during childbirth giving birth to the twin of his youngest daughter.
  • I just found out today that I just got scammed out of $500 by a Nick Beecher! He used the wife died single parent of 13 year old girl. He found me on interracialmatch.com. I wish I would have found this website sooner.
  • Update to help everyone: These scammers are every where now on Facebook, Singelesnet, Yahoo Personnels anywhere they think they can meet a person that might believe all of the crap that they type to you so they can take advantage of you..
    Like I said before and can't stress it enough, if they will not get on Webcam, give you a excuse about it being broken or don't have one right now.. there is something wrong.. They can send pictures, but are they real??

*** Jeb Newkirk has now changed his name to Shawn Newkirk and is on Facebook .. like I said again, this scammers are only out for your money and will do anything to get it, including changing there names... his full name is Jeb Shawn Newkirk, so if he asks you to send money, it will be in his first name...

Do a google search on them, if you can't find any actual information on them here in the US, you know they are not a real person..

Everyone please be careful.. these people do this for a living and are only in this for themselves, they have no regard for what it does to you financially or emotionally...
    Please never send money...
  • i am beening scammed by a man .his named is wilson hanny ,his emails addressis wilson++++++looking for the right one @yahoo.com and wilsoncareforlena@yahoo.com.he has gotting $700.00 out of me. he promise to come and be with me and i sent him the money so he come be with me.but he has never showed up.now he is wanting more money and i want give it to him.so please if any one knows him don't send him no money. i was stupid for sending the money to him.i still talk to him but i hope soon it will end.i was really in love with this one.but i found out a week ago he was online with other women and telling them the same mess he told me.he told me his jobs was inport and exports of computer parts,and in sells of them.i hope no one has fell victom to him like i have.
  • I have managed to read almost all the comments here and has someone whos had experience in African especially Nigeria, I can tell u its all SCAM, seriously dude what planet are u guys from:-)
  • Has anyone ever heard of a Thomas Burnett from Waukegan, Il. Have been chatting for a month or so. Said he was a civil engineer. Met him while he was originally working in Canada, and just before coming back to the states he got a contract in Nigeria to do a very lucrative job there. Then of course he asked me for money. Didn't send him what he wanted but did send him $200 foolishly.

I wanted so to believe him but can see now, I was really a fool. Poor usage of the english language and sentence structure. Said he has a masters degree in Civil Engineering from the UK. Said his entire family had been killed in a car crash and had no one but me to help him.

I will be cutting it off with him today.
  • I recently met "Philip Kester" through MatchDoctor.com. He claims to be 60, a widower and his daughter "Glenda" died a few years back. He retired from Exxon Oil and now he spends his time doing good works at orphanages around the world. Of course, he is currently in Nigeria. He was supposed to return to the states two days ago. When I saw him online (Yahoo, of course) I asked him if he was back in the US. He said "I've had a problem". Seems the flight fare went up and he can't leave because of having an unpaid hospital bill. He said, "You have to help me, Honey". Yeah, right. I don't help anyone online. I blocked him, dropped him like a hot potato. I'm glad I found this site, though, because it proves my instincts were right. Gosh, the man in the photo was such a nice looking older man, too! I keep telling myself the man in the photo wasn't really the scammer - just some poor guy who had his photo ripped off.
  • How about the name Michael Colesman? Is this name familiar to anyone? He's in the medical field working in Nigeria. His 7-year-old daughter Julie got hit by a car. Sounds like she is in critical condition, yet he had time to get online!?! I told him I'd pray for her and had to get to work. Told him if he needed anything to contact the American consulate. There's either too many cars there or kids are too careless - seems like a familiar story. Anyway, wondered if anyone else had heard this name.
  • I feel so stupid. I had the same thing happen to me. It was on Yahoo.
    His name was Mark West. ( because he made is marks in the west!)
    Same thing, was a widower claiming to live in Montana. Was an engineer in the oil business and had to travel to Nigeria. His cell number was from PA. Said he had to stop in Texas and then go to Nigeria.
    Same thing... gets there, they won't take his credit card needs $2650.00 to check out of the hotel. SCAMMMMMM I checked with Western Union they said it is a typical scam. I did not send the funds.
    It was all on Yahoo. I reported it to Yahoo,, but they did not respond...
  • How about telling them you have lots of money
    and sending canadian tire money or monopoly
    money// it will keep them busy receiving all that
    special currency lol and off someelse's back
  • If you are in doubt about where the person is who is emailing you, you can find out. Here is what you do.
    WHen you get an email from ? go to options on your screen and click on it You can trace the IP address. THis will give you the location of the sender of the email. You will see they are from somewhere in GHANA, or NIGERIA. Don't be fooled and if they tell you they love you in the 2nd or 3rd email...delete them from your contacts. No real man will say " I love you" to you or anyone else on the 2nd email or chat. Be smart. Keep safe.
  • There was a comment about a Paul Morgan. I ran into Paul Morgan on Match.com said he was a jeweler designer - accent from Paris. Went on business trip to South Africa and called for me to send him a computer. Never meet the guy - really. Has anyone had contact with him? I saw something posted if anyone had ran into him. They were also questioning him. Anyone else have information on this guy. Has anyone meet him? I guess he suppose to be in Denver.
  • i have contact with one of these guys i think.... Boyce Hamilton.. and he is living in Belgium... his mother is living in his house in England... he is a football manager... and he is telling me all the right words... he haven't asked me for money yet.... but i guess it will happen in the next few days...
    i just got the telephone number for the hotel in Portugal.... and i googled it and this site came up.... the number is 2348034716426... take care out there he is on match.com
  • Listenup,
    I have had conversations with a "Paul Morgan" said he was from California and was some sort of a contractor. He flew to Nigeria to do work and on his way he dropped his computer and it broke ( yeah, right!!) and he needed another one and asked me to send him one immediately. I didn't and I deleted him. Check his email with the IP address location to see where his Emails are coming from. My guess would be Ghana or Nigeria.
    Be safe and just delete him from your contacts.
    Worried.
  • Ladies watch out for a man Josh Hamilton.Says hes form Rockville MD,but now lives in Nigeria.Moved there when he was young with his parents,now they've passed away.Says he never been married but has a son Andrew.Talks really sweet,IMs,texts me on my cell phone.Anyway He wanted $250.00 to had to his money so he could bring his son to the states for a better life.So I sent the money.Then he says he needs $800 for BTA he says that money you need in pocket when you come to the states so I sent that.Now the night before they were to get on the plane his son stayed with a friend to say good by the next morning on the way to the airport to meet his father Andrew and his friends family was in a wreck.The parent died both boys in hospital so they come now took the money I sent to pay doctor bills now needs more.I v asked to talk with Andrew an something always comes up why I cant but then I'll get a text from Andrew saying hi mom dad said to write you.I really fell for this guy but I think its a big cam and when I told Josh that he swears its not .But Im pretty sure it is.
  • I wanted to let everyone know about David W. I met him on SugarDaddyforme.com. He came across very timid and shy but knew all the right things to say. I was hooked. When we first talked he said he was in Herdon, Virginia. He was excited about a new job he had coming up...in Nigeria. He is (claims to be) a civil engineer. We talked often and I was very excited for his return to the states in 2-3 weeks. Just about an hour ago was our set time to chat via Yahoo. I couldn't wait! Never saw the question coming. Today he asked if I could help him out and if I had a credit card because he is having trouble over there. He said he had no idea they didn't take credit card and he loaded all of his up w/ cash before leaving the States. Now he wanted my credit card to transfer cash into so he could continue to work over there. I found this site as I was talking to him and my heart sunk. I felt absolutely sick. But thankful at the same time I am not alone. There is no way I would be able to help him financially. When I told him this and how I knew what he was up to he just said "oh okay...I guess I'll move on" I did notice his English was broken at times and his typing wasn't that great. He even sent me a picture - of someone - very good looking guy! Please ladies (and apparently guys) be careful! My night is ruined because I was really looking forward to another conversation w/ "David" I just can't believe it turned out like this. Really hurt and makes me so leery of talking to anyone on-line anymore.
  • Thanks God I find this site. I have been scammed by a men named Daniel Maich( maichdaniel103@yahoo.com, maichdaniel@yahoo.com) said he is from Pompano Beach, Florida, have a daughter named Vera and he is divorced and have an antique business and frecuently travel to Ikoyi, Lagos to purchase goods.
    I meet this guy at Tagged.com, after 3 weeks of messenger conversation he delete his account. But to make this history short. I have sent this guy around $8,000 from March 23 to May 14,2010. He told me that he needs money to pays for hotel bills and custom papers and have with him a check of $40,000 that cant cash there. Everytime I sent money to him he comes with another issue.

This morning 5-15-10, I receive a call from him that he has an accident in the way to airport , because the last money I sent is for paying his daughter tickets or BTA ( yes, have a 8 year old daughter traveling with him ????). I told him am not believe what he is saying and he is an scammer. After 30 minute his alleged daughter comes to messenger to told me that his father has an accident and was in the hospital and she needs my help. I tell her" sorry baby, no more money from me" and she get upset.
  • continue: Then after 30 minutes, someone log in into his messenger alleges that is a Dr from the hospital he is hospitalized. I told him that am not going to sent more money to him or anybody, he said, you want him to dies, I said nop, but if he dies sent him to a cementery he has a check 0f $40,000 that could pay for all bills and the hospital. What I did? I block him from my messenger. But am praying that my God in who I believe have mercy to him. Ladies, be aware from this guy, Daniel Maich.
  • Hello,
    I am new here. I wish I had found this site a couple of months ago. On March 29th, I met someone on Match.com by the name of Michael Giggs (giggslooking@yahoo.com and mich.vany2711@yahoo.com) His Yahoo IM name was giggslooking47. He had the picture of a white man. He contacted me first on Match. He said he lived in Sacramento California but when I asked him about why he had Los Angeles on his profile, he claimed he moved from there to Sacramento. He said his father died several years ago and that his mother--Rosemary Giggs (mamarose.giggs@yahoo.com) lived with a relative in Florida. He claimed to have been divorced for 3 years with two children--boy name Jackson 8yrs and girl Mary 5yrs. He claimed he left his wife because she slept with one of his friends.

Like most of you ladies here, I was scammed by this man. Reading your stories really hurt me all over again because some of the same tactics you all experienced were used on me. I had know idea that people were using dating sites to scam people until now. I was on Match.com to find love not be used and taken for a ride. This man stool $3000 from me. When I met him on Match, with a day or two, he got rid of his profile from Match but I hid mine just in case things didn't work out between us. But needless to say, he immediately from the first email, wanted to chat on Yahoo IM so we exchanged IM messaging for about two weeks. I thought nothing of the fact that he hadn't asked for my phone number yet. I was thinking that he was sincere and was taking his time before preceeding to phone calls. But the second week rolled around and he claimed to have won a bidding contract to do a project in Nigeria. He claimed to be unsure if he should take the project but with two days, he decided to take it...so he says. Once he claimed to have gotten to Nigeria, within 3 weeks, he claimed to have had a terrible car accident and hit another car from behind in which a little girl was riding in and it messed up her spine. He missed calling me one nite and when I tried to reach him via text and calling, he finally called me claiming to be in the hospital and they told him that he needed his rest and that's why he hadn't called me. He said the doctor's wouldn't operate on the little girl until he paid for her surgery which was $2900. He claimed to have raised some of the money from his mother and wanted to know if I would help him. I thought he was legit and didn't think anything of it because I don't like to see anyone hurting and especially in a foreing land. He claimed the police took all his documents, passport as well and wouldn't release them to him until he paid for the little girls surgery so I sent him the money through Money Gram. He claimed he was using his lawyer's account to get the money and the lawyer's name was Martins Otolie. Like a fool, i sent him the money not knowing he was lying to me. Then he booked a flight on British Airways for Wednesday May 12 and sent me the flight numbers..he was to leave Abuja, Nigeria that morning at 8:45 and land in Heathrow by 5:05 that evening to connect to his flight to Los Angeles and arrive there by 7:45. I checked these flight numbers on the British Airways website and they were legit flight numbers. He also said he was running his late father's construction and remodeling company that also builds bridges and renovates properties. I googled the name of the company he gave me--Giggs Global Construction and Remodeling---

Plus, he ran up my cellphone bill to over $2000 and now i'm having to pay that in order to get my services restored. I have never been so hurt and humiliated in my life. This man claimed to want to meet my father and the rest of my family and acted like he was ready for marriage again. I really hate that I told my father that this man wanted to meet with him plus I told my family that we might get married and they were looking forward to meeting him. But thank God I didn't tell them I met him online nor have I told them the real reason my cellphone is off and I definitely didn't tell them I had sent my savings to this man. Now I'm afraid to meet someone online again. I thought these dating sites were for serious people. I guess I was naive beyond imagination. Now I'll have to pick up the pieces to my life and start saving all over again. I'm thankful I didn't get too caught up in him and cash out my retirement IRA account thinking this man and I would be together for life. I've never experience anything like this in my life and am too ashamed to talk to my family about it. This man used God like a pro. He always encouraged me to go to church, pray, and read my Bible. He claimed he was Catholic and went to church every Sunday. He even asked me if I would attend church with him. People like him is part of the reason that folks do not attend church and worship God now. He even had me making all kinds of plans for a wedding, getting the photographers, the limo service, the wedding consultants, and even had me contacting a real estate agent in Atlanta because that's where we had planned to move. He claimed he was going to sell his house in Sacramento and move to Atlanta. Even had me wasting my precious time looking at houses and told me his price range.

I am so disgusted right now. I don't trust anyone. Just when I decided to give online dating a try, this happens. And from what some of you have written, Match.com actually doesn't care and isn't trying to solve this problem. I wish there was some way that we could actually shut Match.com and a host of other sites down since they won't put in place certain security measures to stop this from happening to people. I worked too hard for the money that I lost and I lost money with Match.com too.
    This Michael Giggs character was also using a phone card too. Here is his number on the phone card: 0112347042534491and here is the number directly to the cellphone he used: 0112347030675041.

He even claimed to be originally from Bridgetown Barbados. He moved to the US with his parents when he was 19yrs old, married to a Russian woman with two kids, and has one sister married to a Swedish man and living in Sweden. I will post the picture he had on his Match.com profile to Romance Scam so if anyone has had any contact with this person, please be advised he's not who he says he is. I even had a Jamaican friend of mine call his number since he was refusing to answer my calls and when she did, picked up the phone but wouldn't say anything so she hung up, then she texted him and he called back wanting to know who it was and that's when she told me that he did not have a Barbados accent that in fact, his accent was from Nigeria; that's when I was for certain that I had been scammed out of my money and precious time. He played on my emotions and knew every button to push. I'm thankful I didn't give him any more personal information about myself. I deleted him from my Yahoo IM and blocked both of his email address. If anyone has had any contact with this person calling himself Michael Giggs or Martins Okolie, please post your replies.

God what is this world coming to when all we wanted to find was love?

Too Ashamed
  • Dear Too..
    I was scammed too...not financially, but from the heart. I was the first person to ask a question on this site more than a year ago. They are out there, and unfortunately they are good at what they do. The dating sites do the best they can, but they are sneaky. The best thing you can do for your self is let it go. Go onto Romancescams.com and there is a lot of information for you to review. Take your time and take a look at that site. They even have a place to get counseling and help. Take advantage of it. Also report him to them. They have a list of scammers and add to it on a daily basis.
    Take care of yourself and when you are ready to go on the sites again...you will watch ever so carefully how they write and such. YOu will know now how to see one a mile away. Do a IT research on their emails..where they come from. Don't ever send anyone you have NEVER met anything!! :)
    Good luck.
    Worried.
  • Hello Worried,

Thank you so much for replying. I will take your advise and post information about this idiot on Romancescam.com plus I plan to post his picture there as well. I plan to see how I can nationally expose this type of thing that"s happening to women via these dating sites.
  • Again "Philip Kester" from MatchDoctor.com. He claims to be 60, a widower and his daughter died a few years back. Yes,"He retired from Exxon Oil and now helps at orphanages around the world. Be aware!!!
  • I too met some one from Match.com he ash me for $4000.00 I ask him did he think I was stupid to send money to some one I never laid eyes on. His name is Jimmy Davies with a 10 year old son fron Houston.I have been trying to get more info from him so I can find him hasn't worked yet, but he will never get a dime out of me. I maybe stupid at heart but not stupid in the head.
  • I think I have been scammed from a guy from yahoo personals, his name is Paul Jackson at the begining. pauljacs@hotmail.com Have you guys seen this guy on match.com. It was my first time on the web looking for love. I hade spent a $450 in a new cell phone cent it to Lagos Nigeria, $2,500 in cash and he normally used to send me flowers home. I have never meet him in person, he claimed to have a computer business born and rise in Phoenix Arizona, house in New York. His movil number is 646-461-8089, 646-461-3892, 646-666-9674 landline Paetec Communications Level 3 communications. Please watch for this guy because I think is a REAL scammer, he is just upsent with me at the moment because I haven't send more money. I feel so stupid, I did not such a thing exist in this world still. He claimed to work for United Nations, supplying computer to the libraries in major quantities in Lagos Nigeria. pauljacks@gmail.com too.
    I guess I can't trace him because he knows all my e-mails. He was apparently at St Francis Hospital in Nigeria and his Dr. Was Yemi Olibumbao or something like that. Phone in nigeria: 234-7027098637. Like you guys said, he was e-mailing me and calling me almost every other day to ask me how much I can help him with. He has British accent too. His is a very attractive man, wearing a blue shirt, is the only phone I do have. I ask for more and he never, ever took some new photos. I am assuming he is not the guy from the photo. I contacted yahoo to let them know, and I never got a response, I think because he deleted his profile there. Any suggestions? Thank you guys.
  • I am sorry, I forgot to mentioned, his other name is Scott Jackson, Paul Scott Jackson or Scott Paul Jackson.
    E-mails: pauljacs@hotmail.com Pauljacs@gmail.com without the k.
  • Worried,
    I think meet Paul Jackson and was at the hospital with Malaria and was there for 2 months. I think this is the guy we are all involved with. We should report it.
  • Hello everyone,

I just spotted another scammer on Match.com. He has two different accounts but the same picture. He claims to live in Birmingham, AL on both accounts. He says his father was American who died and his mother is West African and that this his father's death, his mother moved back to African and he still lives in Birmingham. You can do a search on Match and see for yourself....jamesmac4luv and SmilePar.....these are the two accounts that I found him under..please be on the lookout. It' obvious he stole this man's photos.
  • It's true. Someone called Boyce Hamilton ... his mother is living in his house in England... he is a football manager... but in this case he is coming to Spain, uffff... I see this web, so thank you very much I've deleted him of my msn contacts before he can fool me. If you don't know meetic=match.com

BE CAREFUL
  • Hello Spain,

Do you have pictures of the guy who is coming to Spain. I do have a photo of a handsome guy with blue t-shirt and other in a beach chair resting and a blue hat. I just need to connect dots and find this bastard.
    Thanks,
  • Chalk up another one to the Match.com con. Mine was Raymond Ragi Brand (greatsmile0147@yahoo.com). Mother was British, father from India. Grew up with uncle in Jamaica. Wife and son killed in car accident. Left with a daughter, Sandra. When he contacted me, he was in Oregon (Civil Engineer), but then all of a sudden he was "back home" in Newcastle, England as his daughter was sick. Wanted to move to YahooIM almost immediately. Lovely IMs and copy/pasted poems, which I called him out on. He said he just didn't have the words on his own to express his love for me...blah, blah, blah. He is completely in love with me after on 3-4 days, wants to move here and be with me forever. He will buy us a nice house to live in and I can quit my job as he will take care of me. After a couple of weeks of very nice emails, with at times really bad sentance structure and grammar, he has won a contract for, you guessed it, Lagos Nigeria. He and Sandra were on a plane to Africa less than a week later. So, he gets stopped at customs and they confiscate the money that he has brought in to start up the "project". The lodging that customs obtains for him until this issue is resolved (10-14 business days) is unacceptable, so he uses the 500L that Sandra has brought with her to get a nice hotel for them. That money quickly runs out and he asks me to send him what ever I can via Western Union. I told him I could probably swing $50 to which he says that would be wonderful, but $500 would be better. He knows I'm a single mom and money is tight as in emails over the last month he has very skillfully drawn out information from me. When I told my daughter about him, she scream SCAM right away. How is it that our kids are so smart when we can be so gullible?? From when we started emailing through Yahoo, I have saved all emails and I have saved all Yahoo IM chats from 06/03/10 to present. His Match.com profile was cancelled almost immediately, but there only 2 pictures of him on that. One, that he uses for his YahooIM and another one of him in a field of tulips. The picture is of a nice looking white guy, sandy blonde hair, goatee, wearing a green t-shirt with his head tilted slightly to the left. I have the picture, but don't know how to add it here. I have known for quite some time that this guy is a scammer and not who he claims to be, but I have been easing my boredom and playing along. I'm cutting him off though as after reading page upon page of posts here, I just don't feel safe with any further contacts with the guy. If this helps just one person out there, I'll be happy!!
  • Oh...and he always signs his emails: Raymond with a Smile
  • I'm so glad I found this site! I did a search to find info. on scammers. I've had the experience of talking with several of them from the singles sites.

The most recent one is from Singlesnet.com and is from Dover, DE. Claims to be Greg Churchill Harrison gregsley@yahoo.com. He is 44, 5' 9", athletic, dark blond, blue eyes, mother is from Portugal father is white. Has a horse and a German Shep. Dog. Said his wife passed away from cancer over five years ago. He had three good pictures. Claims to have come into a lot of money from his mother's passing. Interesting how he talked about being wealthy shortly after we met. (If a person has money, that's the last thing you'd think they would disclose.) We hit it off great in the beginning. I even pulled a background check for him and came up with nothing. I take people for their word until proven otherwise. Up until they ask for money, that's when I write them off!

Red Flags-He never answered his phone when I called. Sent me the exact same copy of a poem of All the Things I Want to do With You-line for line, even the one section that didn't sound quite right.

Read about the time differences and he did have the time difference down right between where I live and DE. This story of being stuck in Africa-Major Red Flag!

He then went on to tell me that he was traveling to South Africa to tour orphanages and bring them food and help. He was using 25% of his inheritance to do this to help those who needed it the most. Okay-thought that was a wonderful thing to do. I do know people who actually do that in real life.

Claimed to hire a man to translate for him/driver/etc. He flew to several countries in Africa to tour different orphanages. Then when he got to Nigeria (go figure) he was on his way to the airport to purchase a ticket to come back home to Dover, DE and he was robbed. His driver was shot, put into the hospital. He said all of his money, diary and his briefcase was stolen, but yet he still had his passport. His driver, Mr. Kingsley, was shot while trying to recover his passport for him in the incident. He didn't have any of his information with him to contact his banks, etc.

He said he was stuck there and needed my help financially to get home. Ugh! No, nope, no way in He**. That's when I threw my hands up in the air and gave up. Up until this point, I thought he might be real. Oh, I did tell him that if he asked for money, it was a deal breaker. He told me several times that he was different from other men and he got very insulted when I told him I had my doubts. The last chat we had on yahoo messenger, he said he'll "f-ing" prove it when he gets back home that he's not a scammer and was so very insulted that I would honestly think of him this way.

Common sense has it, if you do travel that far, usually a person already has round trip tickets. Sent him to the US Embassy for help. He claimed that he was denied access.

Who knows-I always wish anyone well and hope they learn their lessons while on their journey in this life. I still believe miracles can happen and that true love still can be found, even on-line. Fun e-mance up until the point of asking for money.
  • Well I guess I'm the latest mark....... I have been reading these posts off and on all day. I too have a similar story. I did not send the money but I was close. The man I was talking to said his name was Daley Chris Aires, email largeloveheart90@yahoo. He was born and raised mostly in England til his parents divorced and he moved to Texas to live with his father. He has a 5 year old daughter named Kimi and lost his wife 3 years ago during child birth of their second child who also died. His daughter now lives with his mother in France because he has been traveling so much for work. He of course said he was working in Nigeria on a project and would be home in 2-3 weeks and he was going to move here to be with me and we were going to start our lives together and get his daughter so we could raise her, together. His pictures were very good a couple looked modelish but there were some that looked like he could be a real person. He even had a pic of him with his daughter. This morning he tells me he was robbed last night and they stole all his money and wallet. He has no money for food or to pay "his workers" and doesn't know what to do and can I help him out? I asked if he called his mother and he said no he only corresponds with her by email and she hasn't emailed him back yet.(hmm red flag...) Plus he has no money to make any phone calls. Then I asked if he tried to contact any of his friends and he said he doesn't have any plus the only people he trusts are God, me, his mother and daughter.(another red flag..) I argued with myself for a while about it and was close to giving in but I told him I'm sorry, no. He has contacted me a couple more times today to keep me updated on the situation (that he still needs my help) and I keep telling him no. Now I'm just waiting for him to tell me he's sick or hurt or some other crap.

It all sounds so obvious that it was a scam, when I go over it in my head, but I was really falling for it. I always had a feeling in the back of my mind though that something wasn't right, and I told him several times that it was all to good to be true.

There are so many signs I missed and wish I had caught on sooner:
    1. His language skills and sentence structure would change from one day to the next.
    2. I met him on MySpace and his profile was only 20 hours old (but he was new to this online dating and he just loved what he saw so he was compelled to email me) blah blah blah
    3. He told me he was in love with me within a week of us originally talking
    4. He begged me to cancel my accounts on the singles sites I was on. (hmm was he afraid I would come across his pic under another name?)
    5. so many others I don't have the energy to think of anymore

All I can say is I'm glad I found this site and that I'm not the only idiot who fell for these peoples lies. Just trust in your gut feelings, if it feels to good to be true, it probably is. DO NOT EVER send money to someone you haven't even met in person.
  • To Good To Be True,
    Yeah, you didn't give in to the scammer. Way to go, girl. I am the original person who posted questions about my internet dating guy a while ago. I am so glad I asked the questions. If not for this site, many women and men would be out a life's savings or retirement money. Glad that this site helped you and many others see it for what it is: a scam.
    When I first started internet dating I took it as everyone on the sites are honest and forthright. Unfortunately, not so. The opposite is true. I have found more scammers than real people. I just hope others find this site prior to becoming a victim of scammers.
    I am happy you didn't lose any money. Take care and remember there are nice people out there, just be watchful and careful and use the delete button as needed. Take care and be safe.
    Worried.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion