going to cape town
  • I'm going to be spending a month in South Africa this summer for business and I don't know much about it. I'll be working in Cape Town city. If traffic cape town is bad, where can I stay to avoid it? My friend went to Hermanus once, is that too far to commute? There's a mountain Cape Town, I can't remember what it's called, but I'd like to stay somewhere where I can see it, or have an ocean view, and be near good Cape Town restaurants since I don't cook. Are there parks in cape town?

What is cape town weather like? I'm not sure what to pack. Can anyone recommend good books on cape town?
  • Accommodation in Cape Town is varied and plentiful. If you want a sea-facing room you can't go wrong with the Camps Bay area, you'll get sunsets over the sea from there. If you wanted to stay somewhere well-placed I'd recommend somewhere near the V&A waterfront. This way you will be near the shops, restaurants, Table Mountain, the beaches, and much more.

If you want to get away from the city (because it does get very busy in rush hour), you could always think about staying in the winelands and commuting, though this would be an expensive option. Hermanus is quite a drive too, and not as quiet as it once was.

If you're going over in the summer for the northen hemisphere (June-August), then expect weather in Cape Town to be cool and wet as it's winter in South Africa. If you're going in SA summer (December-Feb), expect hot beach weather.

Fiction books - cant go wrong with Coetzee - Disgrace, the Life and Times of Michael K.
    Guide books - it seems the bradt and rough guides are a good starting point, with the lonely planet always an option.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion