Need advice on what to see and do in Thiland and Hong Kong
  • Planning a trip to Thailand and need ideas and advice. Want to see Bangkok and either the beaches or the North country. 2 weeks is the time allotted and then want to go to Honk Kong for 3-4 days.
  • Hi murdog!

I'm also planning a trip to Thailand. I can't decide between the beaches and the north though, so I'm doing both. With two weeks you can probably manage this as well.

Chiang Mai is the most popular city in the north of Thailand. There many beautiful temples, and you can use it as a base to explore the surrounding areas.

If you go for the beaches in the south, my advice would be to stay away from Phuket unless you enjoy hoards of tourists and crowded holiday resorts. There are many other islands that are gorgeous and far more relaxing. My pick would be Ko Pha Ngan. Here's a good guide to the islands and beaches of Thailand.

Hope that helps!
  • Two weeks is definitely enough to see both the North and South of Thailand and you can fly directly from Chiang Mai in the north to Ko Samui island in the south as it has its own airport! Well its a very small airport anyway! You could spend a few days in Ko Samui and then island hop around the Gulf of Thailand to the other islands of Ko Tao and Ko Phangan which Anya K mentions. They are all really beautiful but very different! Ko Samui is a the busiest of all the islands, with lots of bars, restaurants and plenty of adventure activities as well as amazing beaches. Ko Phangan is much more rustic and off the beaten track, especially if you visit the northern beaches which are really quiet and great for just chilling! Ko Tao is a diver and snorkeller's paradise, with sea that is crystal clear and a lovely laid back atmosphere! If you visit these islands, then you can visit the north and the south, but also island hop and see lots of different islands. In Chiang Mai, I would definitely recommend doing one of the treks to visit the mountain tribes as it is a really unique experience. There are also amazing craft markets in Chiang Mai and lots of adventurous activities such as white water rafting and zipwiring through the jungle! Bangkok is great for a couple of days, you could also do something a bit different and do a bicycle tour to the greener side of Bangkok (which most tourists don't get to see!). Have a great time!
  • the north is ok but i reckon the south is better. Stay away from Phuket and Pattaya, go to PHI phi island and Ko Lanta, and on the other side Koh Samui. Bangkok has so much to offer people tend to fly in and out, spend some time there. Sukhumvit is good to stay go to Charlies bar on the street excellent place and of course Khosan road good accom there is the D&D inn very good value for money

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion