Best months in Botswana and Zambia
  • I am looking to take a Road Scholar (Elderhostel) trip to Zambia and Botswiana. Our preferred months are May, June, July. Any recommendatirons? I'm traveling with my aging mother who is in decent shape. It's a "rough it" photo safari trip. Thanks.
  • Regarding Botswana those months are good times to go. Not too hot but depending on rainfall in Angola quite a bit of which drains into the Okavango Delta you might find some parts of the Delta difficult to access due to high water levels. Not sure if you plan on self drive or going with a professional outfit. To get into Moremi and Chobe Nat. Park you need a good 4x4 vehicle - 2x4 is not allowed. Camping in Moremi and Chobe is booked at the reservations offices in Maun where most safari outfits are based. Don't be put off if they tell you all campsites are full. They never are - stand your ground and wait for them to find you camping availability. You can also organize mokoro (dug out canoe) trips into the Delta in Maun either less than a day or several days rough camping with a guide. I would suggest you contact people we know well in Maun who can tell you all you need to know. They also run what we consider is one of the nicer camp sites in Maun called Maun Rest Camp. Contact Simon or Joyce on +267 686 2623 or simonjoyce@info.bw On Zambia, it's big and depends on what you want to do. A good starting point is the Waterfront in Livingstone not far from Vic Falls. They can organize many activities. Kafue, South and North Luangwa, Liuwa and the Zambian shore of Kariba are great places for roughing it/photo opportunities, game spotting etc. We have loads of local info if you want it as we travel in both countries by 4x4 quite a bit. Hope this helps. Have fun!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged