Cuba, gifts for the locals
  • All the best to you T8, I wish more tourists were as rational, level headed and respectful.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • I CANNOT understand, for the life of me, why everyone is taking what Terry says as "Gospel" He sure spends a heck of alot of time on this board. While I know it may sound paraniod or "conspiracy-theorist-ish" I have to wonder what he has invested in this discussion. He is totally mocking everyone on this board. And for the most part, hardly anyone said to give these gifts to the maid. It was very clear to me by the 2nd page that these gifts are to be given to people whom you have formed a type of relationship. I do not care how ungrateful or conniving he is making these resort workers out to be, unless they are sociopaths, there is NO mistaking the human emotion and connection when you have provided someone with something they truly need and could not get otherwise. Unless you are emotionally handicapped, you know when someone has been touched.  And to call items from the dollar store "junk" im sorry, but I use these items in my home for my family, where our standard of living is much greater (Canada) so Im sure the locals of Cuba will like them. Not sure what dollar stores you shop at, but the ones in Canada have items that are usually found in department stores that have gone out of business. As well, my husband has been to Cayo Coca 5 times and each time he goes off the resort (Cayo Coco Melia) across the lagoon to the village that isn't anymore than a 30 minute wade through the water, (although when he came back too late one night he was met with the military, who reminded him to come back before night fall next time) He supplied many, many dollar store items to thirty or more children that were kicking a "soccer ball" made of dozens of tied up and woven groceries bags, around on the ground. So who where these children that he came across? Just more con artists that were set up to look like they were underprivileged? Also, the father of one of the children was rebuilding the school that was destroyed (cant remember how) and was greatly appreciative of the infamous pens, pencils and paper. He was so ungrateful that he invited my spouse to a local wedding and celebration. The locals there are sooooooooooo PROTECTIVE of tourists and are nothing like the way you are leading people to believe. Shame on you for deterring many people (who just want to help out the only way they know how) from bringing these gifts!!!!!!!!!
  • The ONLY point I've tried to make in this thread is to gift responsibly. That's all.

If you have a problem with being a respectful guest in a foreign country
    then I'm glad you keep yourself safely sequestered in a tourist enclave
    like Cayo Coco and not in the real Cuba.

Carry on.

Cheers,

Terry
  • Guest is correct; Cubans appreciate toiletries and school supplies.   Also, I bring one suitcase full of my used clothes which they greatly appreciate, because clothes cost is expensive in Cuba.  

I also bring candies and snacks that I prepackage myself from big variety bags.   

The irony of giving toiletries to maids in the hotel is that they earn more money than most professionals in Cuba from tips.   We usually don't give extras to maids, because their earnings is much better than the average income in Cuba.  The average income in Cuba is $20/month.  

• I want to bring fishing gear to Cuba.
    What strength of fishing line and what size hooks should I bring?
  • Requirements vary wildly. It depends entirely on what kind of fishing you are planning on doing.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • I apologize if this posts appears twice - I think I accidentally posted it in a different thread.  My in-laws are traveling to Cuba and will be visiting an orphanage.  They wanted to know if I had any old DVDs to donate (I am a Spanish teacher in the US).  I was concerned the orphanage might not have a TV or DVD player and that something else might be more appropriate.  Any advice?
    Thank you!

• Since you don't know the orphanage, where it's located and no one has ever had any contact with them then it's impossible to say what their situation is. DVDs might be very well received, who knows...

Cheers,
    Terry
  • Well, i understand the need for gifting, and so tip generously, however - take this into account:
    http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g147270-c129786/Cuba:Caribbean:Think.Before.You.Gift.html
  • That's an excellent article written by a long time Cuban veteran.

Cheers,
    Terry
  • I am planning a trip Jan 9 for two weeks to Cuba staying in casas from Varadero through Havana to Vaniles. I have access to individually packaged and portioned Advil and children Motrin as well as dental supplies that I would like to donate to charitable organizations. WONDERING.... How I should claim above items if asked when checking in at airport?? Personal, gifts or donations? Terry perhaps you could inform me of the best explanation for these extra items.
    Thanks in advance
  • We're heading back to Cuba in a few weeks, will be my 5th trip there.  We have made friends with a Cuban family that live a few miles from the resort.  We have taken them various items over the years, most popular was a hack saw with extra blades.  This year we are taking them a bike, used but tuned up and in good condition.  I totally agree with Terry about indiscriminate gift giving and recall on our first trip how my heart dropped as people threw bags of goodies off the tourist train we were on taking us to a local fishing village.  There was no dignity for the children as they scrambled to be the one to grab the handouts.  As we have gotten to know our friends it is evident they have no shortage of pride and nor should they.  Their ingenious resourceful way of living has many lessons for us.  They have returned the favour of what we share with them through meals, guided tours through the countryside around their home and teaching us the fine art of a good domino game. 
    So please do as Terry suggests and remember to be mindful of how you tip and gift. 
  • Common Sense
  • Ditto.

Pretty amazing though how uncommon common sense is...

Cheers,
    Terry

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged