USA C1D / B1 B2 Visa
  • I am currently in Miami on holiday and entered the USA from South Africa on my B1 B2 holiday visa.

However I am employed by Steiner on Carnival Cruise lines and am due to join my ship on the 30th May. I cannot join the ship on my B1 B2 visa it has to be on my C1D crew visa.

I have been told there are 2 ways to sort this out :-

1) Fly to Nassau for the day & re-enter on the C1D visa? Is this a possibility and how & where would I get it sorted out if this is the case?

2) To go to the immigration office and apply for the change of visa which we tried today only to be faced with a huge pile of documentation & told it can take 4 weeks or more to process. Most of the immigration officers were not english speaking and did not seem to understand what we were talking about and generally very unhelpful.

Can anyone advise me on the easiest and quickest way to get my change of visa & re-entry sorted out ??
  • Hi, I am in the same position. I applied for both and paid for both in SA but they only gave me the B1B2, I thought this was normal and if scanned it would show I have both. What did you end up doing?
  • I recieve email msg from this email address "gov-foreign-visa@usa-dv-gov.org" and the message came from U.S. Department of State notifies me of being selected as a winner of the Diversity Visa program. Is it true that the government of USA has this type of lottery or this is a scam only?
  • here is the msgs they sent to me:

With the Diversity Visa (also known as Green Card) you will enjoy all the advantages and benefits of a U.S. permanent resident, including health and education benefits, and employment opportunities along with guidance in your new country, orientation sessions and programs to integrate into mainstream American society. Once received you can use it at any time you want to move in the United States or just travel. The visa must be renewed after 10 years.

U.S. Government helps you with the accommodation and offers you Health Insurance (Freedom HSA Direct Individual Health insurance for 1 year), Dwelling(Apartment in any city you prefer, 1 bedroom for 3 months ), a guaranteed job(in the field that you are are currently qualified so you can start working even from the first week you arrive in the United States and get paid as U.S citizen. ) and education (for U.S. Students or Higher Education through EducationUSA. It includes transfer to a U.S college or University so you can continue your educational study. More details can be found at http://educationusa.state.gov/ .)

Hope anyone can give me advise on this matter....thanks.
  • Anja - Hi - I do have both Visa's, they are 2 seperate pages in my passport, so if you only have the B1B2 page then you do not have the C1D visa unfortunately & you will have to re-apply for it unless you have proof of having applied for & paid for both?
    I flew out to Nassau & back to be sure, but I was told by an immigration officer that this was not necessary. However I believe that it depends on the immigration officer you get and I was not prepared to take the chance!

jgabut - Yes the US government does have such a program, however you have to apply online on their website. You cannot be randomly "chosen" if you have not gone through the process, so what you received is a "scam" email.
    It is a lengthy online form that you complete together with submitting photos online etc, at the end of the process you are given a "reference number " and this is then used to check on the lottery selection in the following year. The application can only be done once a year during a short period which is given on their website each year. The results of the draw are then announced on the website the following year. I entered last year in November, for 2012 lottery and the results were posted up last week. (I did not get selected).
    This is the website: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html
    I have checked and as yet I do not see the dates for the entries for this year, but usually it is around October / November sometime.

Hope this helps you both!
  • How do I know how much must i pay for my C1 D visa.
  • Hi Guys

I am having the same problem. need to apply for a C1 D visa but I have no idea which website to go on. Please can someone help me
  • http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/visas.html?gclid=CIXQx-yXirACFYRU4godSQG5Ng
    Try this one. I don't know if it will help you but there are some information in it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged