Is Yellowknife cool?
  • Hi Everyone -- I'm thinking of making the long, long trip to Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories. I had to do a project on the Northern Lights (or aurora borealis, if you want to call it that) -- and I learned that Yellowknife is one of the three best places to see the Northern Lights in the whole world.

So...has anyone ever been to Yellowknife? It has a cool name... but what else is there to do there? And can you really see the Northern Lights any night there, and are they worth the trip?

Please help -- I need to book my tickets soon, if I'm going to go...
  • Hi David:

Yellowknife is definitely a neat place. We've lived here for almost six years. However, if you are planning to come to see the Aurora Borealis don't think about it until at least September. We are north of 60 degrees and therefore get very little darkness in the months of May, June, July, and August. So there may be Aurora out there, but you can't see them because the sky is too bright. There are lots of other wonderful things to see and do in Yellowknife, but the best time to witness the wonderful aurora borealis is probably January and February. There are some very good web sites available that can guide you on the amount of solar activity and therefore the likelihood of good displays of the northern lights. I'l try and track down the site and give you a link!

Peter

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion