doing missionary work in Kenya
  • What should I know before travelling to Kenya? I am doing missionary work in Kenya next summer. Although I will be staying in a hotel I will also be visiting people in their homes. I wanted to know if there are any major differences in Kenyan culture that I should be aware of. What tips do you have to give me so that I will not be offensive. Please help me with any tips on etiquette in kenya, thank you.
  • Thanks for your wish to visit Kenya. Kenya is a modernized/westernized country in most urban areas. You need to specify where you will be working. Most of the urban areas are noram etiquette areas but in case you are working with street children, orphanages, rural areas then you need to learn some basic words like habari(hello), asante (thank you) etc.

In case of any more information you can email miraradan{at}gmail.com. You can also get a Depending on the area you want to visit
  • Kenyan are hospitable people, just pick afew Kiswahili words and you are welcome.
    libe dressing code, but extremly short see me through dresses may at some places, especially the Muslim towms and rural coastal Kenya.
    karibu.
  • Hi Katrina, you sure need to let us know where your mission field will be for any detailed info. Otherwise, Kenya is a wonder and i believe you will agree with me after your stay. Really beautiful country and hospitable people within their means. If you work among the poor or less fortunate groups, you need to respect and understand their way of life. Try to fit in the community and work with them. The worst you can do is fake it, actions speak better than words! Do not critisize or appear aloof. Human beings need to trust a stranger before they can accept and open up to them.

You will need to learn few words in our national language, Kiswahili or even local ethnic dialect if you find yourself is a rural setting. Whatever the case, the people will be eager to teach you. Kenyans love greetings and shaking hands, you may find it weird if you come from a 'Hi' culture. I wish you a good time as you carry out the noble work.

Daniela Milka
    danielamilka@yahoo.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion