visiting tunisia
  • good day
    im planning to vist Tunisia(Tunis) in January 2012-is it safe to travel alone?can u please tell me more about how much dinar will i need for food ect--comparing to my south african rand?what are the best hotels to stay in Tunis ?
  • hi, Tunisia is actually one of the most visited places in world. It has lot of tourist attractions. Great Mosque of Kairouan and Cathedral of St. Vincent de Paul are beautiful places over there.
  • Hi Zet and welcome to tunisie. Yes, it is safe but january here is cold as it is winter so make sure you are with some warm clothes. Of course like everywhere else, how much you budget is a personal issue. It is much cheaper here than in South Africa although I don't know the exchange rate at the moment. If you take breakfast in the hotel it will be included but for lunch and dinner it can be cheap if you eat at local restaurants. However, if you want alcohol this can be very expensive and is only available inside the hotel or in tourist restaurants. If you go to the markets and buy some bread, cheese and some salad items for a picnic lunch then you can probably pay for this around TD2-3 but for dinner if you want something more substantial like couscous or some traditional meals then budget around TD15 which is high end. As for hotels, I don't recommend hotels but it depends on how much you want to spend per night and what areas you will be staying in. Keep in mind that the star rating in Europe is not as here, a 4* here is more like a 2 or 3 in Europe.
  • Thank you so much for your feedback,,im so excited now to visit!can i ask what degree it get in winter like in jan there?im planning to visit tunis in tunisia.....how much does packet of cigarettes cost in dinar?and if i want to get a cheap cellphone what will the cost of that be in dinar?i saw on internet the Phebus hotel near airport--do you have any info regarding this hotel or do u have any suggestions of places to stay?
  • Zets - only Tunis? the airport is out of the city, not far and a cab ride into the city centre will cost you around TD6.000 and there is nothing around it, it is pretty much industrial. If I were you I would get a hotel nearer to the old city where there are many bars/restaurants/cafes and some night life. there is so much else to see and Tunis is dusty, dirty and can wear you out after just a few hours. However, it is full of history and beauty. The medina and Kasbah are beautiful areas and a walk in the souq will have you lost in no time.

Depends what cigarettes you want, a pack of Marlborough red costs around Td4.500 which in British money is about 2.00 you can get cheaper locally made ciggies for around Td 1.800 a packet and some even cheaper.

Cell phones are not cheap here but you can buy a sim card and credits as you need them. I don't remember what a sim costs but they are much cheaper here than in other countries. You can sometimes find 2nd hand cells in the souqs and markets but they rarely work for more than a couple hours at most! LOL

January in Tunis can be very cold and very wet, it's winter. the temperatures can plunge during the night time but the day can be between 8 - 16 it just depends on the winds from either the south or from Europe.
  • Hi I am traveling to Tunisia in JAN 2012 how cold is cold ? how much rain do you have in Jan.?
    thanks
  • January is pretty much the peak of winter in Tunisia, but that said, the weather in Tunisia is still relatively mild compared to the likes of the Siberian Steppe or frigid Greenland. Temperatures during this month will range between 7 degrees Celsius and 15 degrees Celsius. Rainfall is moderate, but not heavy. So, definitely pack a warm jacket, warm shoes and warm tops. For more information about Tunisia, you should check out the Word Travels Tunisia Guide.
  • trudy - it will very much depend on where you are travelling in Tunisia. If you are going to be in the north then be warned - it is very, very cold. We get the weather in the north from across the Med and Europe and we do get snow in the north. If you are going to be in the coastal areas in the east then it is milder but can be quite wet. If you go to the south you will find the weather during the day cold but at night and early morning then it can dip below freezing. January can also be quite wet apart from the south (desert) so make sure you have layers to keep warm.
  • hi
    i would like to find out something else_i will land in Tunis on the 17 Jan 2012,from South africa-can i exchange my ZAR at the carthage airport to dinar?am i allowed to enter your country with my money or must i do the exchange in my country before depart on the flight?

im going to pay the hotel on my arrival-the phebus hotel do the hotel exchange my money to local currency or can i ask someone to pay the hotel in advance for me before i arrive?
  • hi
    i would like to find out something else_i will land in Tunis on the 17 Jan 2012,from South africa-can i exchange my ZAR at the carthage airport to dinar?am i allowed to enter your country with my money or must i do the exchange in my country before depart on the flight?

im going to pay the hotel on my arrival-the phebus hotel do the hotel exchange my money to local currency or can i ask someone to pay the hotel in advance for me before i arrive?

ALSO am i allowed to take food from here in my luggage or not?
  • hi

• hi

• Hi Zet,

There is no problem for money exchange around here, you can deal with any bank office in the airport ... but avoid any kind of "surprises" it would be better if you exchange it to dollar or € .. then you can be 100% sure that exchange process will be OK !

Concerning food .. i dont have any idea about that !
  • Zet - You can't buy Tunisian dinar outside of Tunisia but of course you can enter Tunisia with currency but it is better for you to bring US or Euro or even British stirling and then you can change your money at the airport buy my advice is to only change what you need for a couple of days. then you can visit a bank who will exchange at the government rate for you, no need to worry. Make sure that you change back before you leave as dinar is useless outside Tunisia and also it is not accepted in the airport duty free.

As for the hotel I'm sure you can pay on arrival however they will only accept TD. As for bringing food in your luggage yes you can.........but why would you want to?? The food here is cheap, wonderful and readily available so I suggest that you eat our cuisine every day!!

Have a great vacation
  • hi is there a fee to pay upon entering or leaving tunisia
  • Hi I'm due to visit Tunisia next week and have heard some real horror stories regarding being hassled by locals people being locked in shops to buy something and not let out til they part with their money Etc. I know Lesley you say it's safe but for a first time visitor what do you suggest is e best way to avoid this? I'm visiting with my mother so will be 2 females . Some reviews have said they love the country and had no problems is it a hit and miss?

Any suggestions to avoid problems would be a great help many thanks.
  • i can understand your worries, tunisia is a lovely country and people are so friendly. everyone may have different experience. don't panic you will across many smiling faces
    just fly and enjoy tunisia

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged