Marriage in Tunisia
  • Also you may have to go to the Embasy of Iceland in tunisia I had to go to the Embassy of the united states in tunisia
  • Most foreigners have to go to their respective embassy but in this instance the poster is a Tunisian citizen who is saying he needs permission to marry.
  • Hello,
    I am Tunisian men. I have a Ukrainian fiancee and I intend to
    bring her to Tunisia. I am planning to marry her. She is in the process
    to prepare her documents legalized in Ukraine. But before I bring her, I
    want to know how she will come : with tourist visa or I send an
    invitation letter to her and what should I put in the invitation letter?
    Best regards,
  • Ukrainian citizens can enter Tunisia visa free if they are travelling on an organised tour from a travel agent with a hotel booking. 
    If she travels alone and not on a package holiday then she must apply for a visa so I suggest she comes on a package holiday its a lot less fuss.
  • hi everyone :) does anyone know how much it will cost to have a cheap wedding in Algeria ? and what laws are involved ?
  • Surely the best person to ask about Algerian weddings and their cost is your intended husband/wife. Algerians like to spend money on weddings and like most middle eastern weddings the whole family or village are invited no such thing as a guest list
  • Kam.......you need to get a new certificate de naissance, no older than 21 days before you marry. It must be certified. You must have your tak tareef. This is all you need, however your fiancee must have what is called certificate of no impediment to marry. She can have this from her embassy, it must be translated and certified
  • Hello my name is Alisha and i will meet my fiancée in tunisia. He has dual citizenship of algeria and france. I am an american citizen. I have been previously married in Egypy and now i am divorced, the papers are located in Egypt (since he divorced me in Egypt). I am not sure what to do. I have two questions regarding these issues: 1. Could i possibly get a visa to algeria in tunisia or Egypt? 2. What are the rules of marriage for my situation? :)

Thanks!
  • You cannot marry anywhere until you have your divorce papers.
    How to apply for an Algerian visa http://algeriavisacenter.com/Visa_Requirement.html

• Hello, alethia. I m a malaysian and will be married with a tunisian boyfriend soon. What documents I need to have. Can I stay in tunis with his sponsor.
  • If your boyfriend is Tunisian why does he have a sponsor and who is this person?

To marry in Tunisia you will require the following documents.
     1, A document from the Malaysian government that confirms you are free to marry. This statutory declaration is normally done at the Malaysian Embassy in the country where you will marry, but there is no Malaysian Embassy in Tunisia.
    2 Your birth certificate
    3 Your passport
    4 If you been married before you will need your divorce certificate or death certificate if your previous spouse died.
    These documents must be translated to French or Arabic when you arrive in Tunisia for the wedding. The Bureau de l’Etat Civil a la Municipalite will tell you where to translate and notarise your documents.

Your fiance can go to the Bureau de l’Etat Civil a la Municipalite and ask them what you need to do and how to book the wedding.
    Hundreds of foreigners marry in Tunisia every year so the Bureau de l’Etat Civil a la Municipalite can give you all the answers.

• Tq. I will be arriving on early August. is there any problem if I going alone? My boyfriend will meet me in the airport and after he will bring me to his home town in bou arada stay with his family.
    We meet in Malaysia for about 1 year and last month he going back to for Ramadan. Now he prefer to stay in ariana, so he want me to live in Tunisia.
  • I don't know anyone in Tunisia and don't know their languages. I just can share everything with my boyfriend only because he understand English.
    Is that a problem for me going to stay there?
  • A lot of people there in Tunisia knows English there is a lot of great people at least where I went there was
  • Hi

I man i live in tunisia I need know information for marrie in tunisie my girlfriend live in ireland ..exactly from shouth irland (teprrerary)
    I want know all information because she will came in September. ..and I want ask if we need go to embassad before marrie or just we go to hull town..
    what papier for her and for me 
    she has daugther
    I wish send me back message soon
    thanks
  • Theresay2000.tq for your update. So, now you stay in Tunisia?
  • Please I want adress ambadsad Ireland in tunisia and number if they has 
    thanks
  • I want no all decouments(for me and my girlfriend) for maariage ...
    How I take date for marriage
  • Abdesalemzanati. Hope you will get all your documents as soon as possible.
  • Aini,

you will not have any problems to live in Ariana. It is a big town not far from the centre of our capital Tunis. Lots of shops etc. Dont worry about the language, you can find many institutions teaching French and Arabic. If you need some help you can be in touch with me, it is not a problem.
  • Abd.....mabrouk. First for you, certificate de naissance not more than 21 days old before date of marriage, tuk tariff and passport if you have one. Your certificate de naissance should be certifi ied by the beladiya. For your fiancee, she must have original birth certificate not more than 21 days before date of marriage, certificate of no impediment to marry from her embassy, her divorce papers, passport. All these must be translated and certified. Do this here in Tunis as it is much cheaper. As for date of marriage, that is up to you, but it is easy, you can be married in municipality or you can have notaire come to your house and have the soiree afterwards.
  • Lesley
    Thanks for your comments. And I would like to know about the mobile line in ariana, which is the best line for me to call back Malaysia and my family from Malaysia easy to call me. Because my boyfriend line is very difficult to call. We just sms only. His number is +216 236@@@@@ This line is not friendly. Any suggestions for me to have a good signal phone line in ariana? Is there many kinds of mobile telecomucation company?
    Is that a problem to the ph. line service there now bcos I read the news that the government is clouser many satellite due to the soldiers dead in the border.
  • Aini No I am in America but If I didn't have daughter I would be there forever.  I am hoping to go soon to be with my husband in October Inshallah.  Just for a couple months but when he gets his passport we will Bill doing Visa to get him here.  We got married In his City on March the 3rd of this year and it was wonderful we had celabration and all that I felt like a Queen with everyone they all love me there and I feel so blessed with all my new family There is Tunisia..  SO I wish the best for you AINI and your new soon to be Husband all the happiness in the rest of your lifes INSHALLAH!!!!! If you want to keep in touch it would be nice to know how things turn out thats if you want.  This picture I have on here is of us in our Celabration.  :D
  • Hello i am Tunisia and i wanna get married with my girlfriend resident in Ireland please can someone help me about information for this marriage
    she live in southern irland 
    please I want all documents for me and for my girlfriend
    thanks
  • Aini, Tunisia is a small country compared to Malaysia and not so sophisticated but Tunisian people in my experience are kind , generous and warm hearted. Many people speak English and you will be welcomed wholeheartedly. I have had some lovely times in Tunisia and I wish you well in your marriage.

You never did answer my question , what you meant by his sponsor.
  • Alethia
    The sponsor mean is. I only have a 90 days visa stay in tunisia once I arrived. After 90 days , if I want to stay longer period in Tunisia, my boyfriend is a tunisian. He can use his identity card to sponsor me for extend my visa or not?So, I no need to go back Malaysia every 3 month.
  • Lesley

Hello i am Tunisia and i wanna get married with my girlfriend resident in Ireland please can someone help me about information for this marriageshe live in southern irland please I want all documents for me and for my girlfriendthanks
  • Abd.....I think I already answered this, maybe on another thfead? Okay, first for you you need new certificate de naissance issued no more than 21 days from date of marriage, it should be certified at the beladya, it is cheap. You will also need your taq tariff and a copy of both sides which should also be certified and your passport if you hsve one. Your fiancee needs original birth certificate no more than 21 days old from date of marriage, certificate of no impediment to marry which she can get from her embassy in her home country. She must also have her original divorce papers. All these must be translated and certified, but do it here in tunis as it is much cheaper.
  • Aini, once you are married your husband should take you to the police station with your papers and organise a carte de sejour. In the first instance this will be temporary for 3 months snd after that you can have residency issued for 2 years and every 2 years.

The 3 major mobile phone networks here are Telecom, Tunisiana (Ooredoo), and Orange. All of them will work well in Ariana. Your fian e has Tunisiana number.
  • Thanks Lesley
    sorry I have other question I dont no adress ambassad ireland in tunisia
    and I wish no how I will contact they for take date
  • Abd, Eid mabrouk!

I dont have the address but I think it would be under the uk govt which is at Lac. Not sure why you need this? You cant marry there and you are not a citizen of uk so they wont assist you. If you mean a date for marriage that is not a problem. When your fiancee arrive bo immediately for your blood tests (for both of you) and then orgsnise the contract with notaire. You can marry at the municipality or in your house with notaire.
  • Eid mabrouk
    Thanks lesley
    I was thing i need meet ambassad for take date or marriage
    so all I need my fiance arrived and we go to balediya togthers yes ..
    but southern ireland have other ambassade
    UK and northern Ireland has the same ambassad ...my fiance of southern ireland for that I ask about adress ...so we dont meet ambassad for marriage ..just we prepared all documents and we go to balediya
    if I forget samething please say to me and say what exactly do
  • Lesley
    I like your comments very much. Can I keep in touch with you for only personnel discuss because I wish to ask some personnel questions between you and me only that not shown on public.
  • abdesalamzanati you DO NOT need to go to the British embassy or any other embassy. You do exactly what Lesley said go to the municipality just the same as if you were marrying a Tunisian girl.
  • Aini, sure you can email me........lesley.khedhiri@hotmail.com and I will be happy to help you.
  • Lesley
    Thank you very much and I will keep in touch with you in your email add. Chat with you soon.
  • Thanks Alethia
  • Abd, so your fiancee need to find out which embassy can give her consular assistance is she needs it. Not all countries have embassy here. Par example, citizens of Australia use the Embassy de Canada. I will try to find out for you.
  • Abd, I cant find embassy of south ireland. She must find out in her country who will represent her country here in tunis. Also, dont forget that you both need blood tests. You will have the results the same day, and you should have these for the contract.
  • There is an Honorary Consulate of Ireland in Tunis.

HONORARY CONSUL : -    Moncef Mzabi
    ADDRESS:-
    Dalmas SARL
    1 Rue Laroussi Haddad
    Zi Sidi Rezig 2033
    Tunis
    Tunisia

PHONE:-
    LOCAL: 9830.7364
    INTERNATIONAL: +216.9830.7364

FAX:-
    LOCAL: 7189.3182
    INTERNATIONAL: +216.7189.3182

• Lesley
    my fiancee were will do blood test here in tunisia or in irland and about test blood we do in hospital or in spicial doctor
    sorry I swear little documenet I dont undredsand ...you can say to me en arabic ...sorry for do all documents ...about my fiancee will ask if she need no samething
  • Abd..I should answer you in English because that is the language of this forum. Alethia give you details for Embassy of Ireland I Tunis. Call them and maybe that help. Your fiancee should do her blood tests here in Tunis. Go to doctor and get order for pathology, you can go to any pathologie, then take the results back to doctor who will stamp ok.

abd, belehee mish stressy!! Kool behi, ca va? Winek fee Tunis?
  • Abd, has no one ever married in your family?  Marrying a woman from Ireland is just the same as marrying a Tunisian  woman. Yes you need a couple of extra documents such as the certificate of non impediment and documents need to be translated but the rest is a normal Tunisian wedding. Which are lawful and recognised all over the world.
    That is why you do not need to contact the Irish Consulate.
    Le Bureau de l'Etat Civil a la Municipalite can tell you all you need to do
  • Lesley
    I need to do my blood tests in Tunisia also if I want to married with my boyfriend?
    I need to wear hijab and juba in Ariana?
    I can wear long dress without hijab or not?
    I don't know what dress I need to bring from Malaysia.
  • Aini, you will have the blood tests done in  Tunisia.
    Since the 2011 revolution more women have chosen to wear the hijab but they don't wear juba.

Of course you can wear a long dress without a hijab, it depends if your husband and his family are conservative and expect you to wear a hijab. You need to ask your husband about that.

Tunisian weddings have a henna night, the night where the bride wears a gold traditional dress and is given money. On the actual wedding day Tunisian brides like to wear a white European style wedding dress, with their hair uncovered.

• Aini, yes you will have blood tests done and you and your fiance can go together. You can have the results the same day.
  • Aini, Tunisia is a fairly liberal society, however you will find that the young unmarried women tend to dress in a european style, however once engaged they tend to cover more. Interestingly since our revolution more women wear the hijeb and jibba (how we pronounce it). This started as a political statement as before the thowra it was forbidden for female teachers, those working in govt offices. Now you will find the many married women covering, in fact many take it further and wear niquab.

You will find what works for you and your husband but I do recommend that you bring with you modest clothing. If you want a henna night you can, but as you will e in Ariana you will find that you do ot wear a gold dress (this is very rare if ever), usually you mother in law will rent an outfit for you.......no money is given. It is also quite normal to have the contract on the same night in which case you an go to the hairdresser where they will do your make up, design a hijeb to match your outfit and help you to change into it. Please be careful with what the family decides, nowadays we usually only do the henna, contract and party which involves only soft drinks, cakes and dj, no one can afford anything else. If the family tell you they have arranged a salle de fete and all the trimmings make sure you know who is paying! It could be you if you are not careful.

as you are marrying in Ariana then you can hire the wedding dress, this is normal, but bring your own shoes.

I dont want to be rude but a question....are you a Muslim. You can message me privately if you wish. Also I have a lot more information about the marriage and customs in Ariana.

Alethia thank you so much for your helpful answers but each region here has their own traditions, what to wear and who pays for what.
  • Lesley and Alethia
    Thank you very much that give me comments.
    I am now have more confident to go Tunisia.
  • Aini, will your parents or family members be going to your wedding?
  • My family will not joined in Tunisia. We will come back Malaysia for have a celebration again

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion