What are the best towns for a cultural experience in Romania & Moldova?
  • I am a woman and will travel around Romania for 12 days in May. I want to see the best small towns with the best cultural experiences. I would like to meet people who are artists, work with crafts, etc...also, I would like information on good Guest Houses, and local restaurants. I am not a "back-packer" so not the teenage hostel type of places. Also, how do you manage money when out of the large cities? Any other advice is appreciated.
  • Good day from Bucharest. I am happy to answer to your questions. First of all, I can tell you that Romania is a safe destination. It is one of our country's "+"es. But I do not recommend you to walk alone in the outskirts of the cities or very late at night (though all my life I've done both of this things and never had problems, yet I do not recommend for foreigners). Also, many Romanian speak English, especially the young people, so you can always ask if you are not sure of something. Money: it is best you change only at the banks. Keep a reserve of money for the days when you go to countryside and cannot find a bank. Otherwise, all cities, including the small ones, have banks. Also, all tourist resorts. Things to see: I could send you a few sample itineraries, if you want. What you should not miss in terms of small towns and best cultural experiences: Sighisoara (the most beautiful mediaval citadel in Europe, where you can also find craftsmen), Bucharest' old city, Peles Castle in Sinaia, old town in Brasov, a few of the German fortified churches (Harman and Prejmer near Brasov, Viscri on the way to Sighisoara, Biertan after Sighisoara), Sibiu city with Brukenthal Museum and also the villages around Sibiu (for arts and crafts: Sibiel is a good choice, there you can also find a Glass Icons Museum), also if you have time (and in 12 days you have) Maramures is a place where you can enjoy arts and crafts (wood sculpture, special Maramures hats making, see how the locals wash clothes like hundreads of years ago with a whirlpool mill etc., meet very welcoming people, eat great food, see wooden churches and great scenery), then there is always Bucovina with its warm people, painted Monasteries, egg painting art, wooden art museum in Cimpulung etc. You could also stop in Praid for Hungarian crafts and to see the salt mine, in Sambata de Sus to see the stud farm, in Azuga to see how they make the sparkling wine using champenoise method and to eat really tasty dishes (plus the wine). As local restaurants, it depends on the itinerary, of course. I could recommend, for ex: Caru cu Bere and Rossetya in Bucharest, Popasul Reginei in Bran, Sighisoara in Sighisoara, Crama Ileana in Sibiu etc. I would also recommend you to stay at hotel Rembrandt in Bucharest, at hotel Sighisoara in Sighisoara (a hotel in a medieaeval building, just great), at Imparatul Romanilor in Sibiu, at Marmatia in Sighetu Marmatiei, at Best Western Bucovina Club de Munte in Gura Humorului, at Casa Wagner in Brasov etc. I would also recommend you take a couple of days to see the amazing Danube Delta, the youngest land in Europe. Once you decide for an itinerary, I can add other recommendations. Again, if you need my assistance for the itinerary or bookings, I am at your disposal. With respect for each and every traveller, Ana Irimia

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion