Going to Cape Town - should I fly BA or SAA?
  • I am a regular visitor to Cape Town (from London) and would be interested in people's thoughts on flying there any airline preferences - BA or SAA or another airline? Here's mine.

British Airways
    One of the advantages of BA is that Terminal 5 at Heathrow is great, excellent shopping and good restaurants. They also usually have a couple of flights a day/ night and are fairly efficient but they seem to put their oldest planes on this route and the headsets etc often don't work. I am British and have always had a loyalty to BA and also thought they would be the safest. There prices were always similar to SAA but I recently started flying there for a shorter time – Monday to Friday – and their prices escalated so I thought I try SAA.

South African Airways
    SAA charge almost half the price for a Monday to Friday trip and as I discovered Terminal 1 is fine, although the SAA boarding gate is the very furthest and you need to allow a good 20 minutes to walk there. The SAA planes are much newer and the cabin staff are more charming. The plane also leaves a bit later and seems to take a bit longer which means that unlike on BA you are not woken up at 5 in the morning to be presented with an inedible breakfast. The SAA frequent flyer club (Voyager) is also miles better than BA Miles – you are much more likely to be rewarded with an upgrade than using BA miles.

The supper on both BAA and SAA are fine but I always try to eat in the terminal, watch a short movie on the plane and then get my head down. I always avoid breakfast.

Other airlines
    Virgin fly to Cape Town, I have never gone with them but I hear they are good, but they fly irregularly. For the cheapest deals you need to fly indirectly, usually via the Middle East.

look forward to other comments.
  • Hi Mathieu,

From your comment, I'm guessing you're flying to Cape Town from London? I've never made that trip directly, as most airlines route flights to Cape Town via Joburg. However, I just booked a direct flight from Cape Town to Amsterdam via KLM, who I've always had good experiences with. We'll see how it goes!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged