Tunisia travel questions
  • Hello! I have been reading a lot of the posts and still have some questions which may or may not be a repeat.

I am very, very excited for my trip to Tunisia. I will be coming by myself and I am female. I am going for 5 weeks starting Sept 27. I am coming from Canada. I will have the opp to experience all of Tunisia, the culture, food and history. I am visiting many cities around Tunis before heading to Gafsa, where I will be for the remaining 3 weeks.

My questions.

1. I will be there for Eid - What should I expect and what will be expected of me?

2. I understand that it's better to exchange money when I arrive to Tunisia. Do they except Canadian currency or is it better to exchange it for U.S. money first? Would I be able to take DN out of the country as a keep sake for my kids?

3. do you have a link in english for the different transportation's that I can take. I plan to rent a car but if it's cheaper and just as fast to get from one city to the next, that may be a better alternative.

4. I have a male friend who will be helping me well I'm there. I am not coming to look for any relationship but as we will be spending majority of the time together, along with his family, what should I expect and what is the norm. I do not believe in sex before marriage so this won't be happening (I also know that it's against the law there anyway) but what should I do if he wants to help hands, sit close to me ex..

5. I have another family that I would like to visit well in Tunisia. Yes, a male friend and his family. Would this be rude, unexceptable to visit both families at the same time or even hang out with the two of them together? (I also know about Bizeness and they both know that I'm not coming for any relationship or visa)

6. As I'm coming for this trip and my friend is going to show me around, would it be rude to ask him if he can pay for part of the expenses of the car rental/gas, food (that is if he can afford it). In Tunis, I will be renting a house or I will be in a hotel well he stays with friends. I haven't worked the details out at this time for my accomadation's.

6. I am a Christian and understand that there is persecution happening in Tunisia against the Christians (I may be misinformed?). I wear a cross on my finger, should I take it off and not wear it there? I would like to read my bible and listen to christian music as this is my strength through the days, will it be looked down upon? The family I will be with are Islamic but know that I'm a Christian.

6. I plan to do a lot of site seeing. How long would it take to tour around Tunis and then the surrounding cities. I'm giving myself 2 weeks and then a week to head south to Gasfa because I want to stop at the different cities along the way. Is this time frame not enough time or am I giving myself to much time?

7. What is the average cost to get into the museums? To take a camel ride and the cost to take the Star Wars Tour? I've looked on line but can't find the cost for these events.

8. Ok, dumb question but have to ask..I know to dress modoret but I really want to swim in the sea. Is a one piece bathing suit good enough or will this cause problems? what is the best thing to wear at the beach? I do wear a bathing skirt over top. Will the water be warm still in October? I understand that the nights in October get cold.

9. What can I be expecting to spend on a daily average? I'm on a tight budget but still want a good holiday.

10. Do you know what sort of water bottle with filter, I can buy to make the water clean for me to drink? Instead of having to buy bottled water.

I think that this is all my questions. Thank you for answering each and everyone as I know it will be time consuming. I am learning all that I can (even french, I don't know anybody who speaks arabic) so not to go blind as this is my first international trip.

Take Care and Thank you again
  • Hi there - while you wait for someone to answer these questions directly have a look at the Tunisia Travel Guide from wordtravels.com. The guide is packed with useful information and should answer many of your questions.
  • Thank you for the link. Great information on it.

I found out on that site that their is now a curfew, which is really sad. I would like to know where these radical muslims came from and why the police are not doing anything about them? The people in Government need to stand up for the ppl, if they are not standing up for their rights now, then they won't be when they are in office. Spoke with my friend in Tunisia and he told me that these ppl were never in Tunisia before the Revolution. I hope something is done about this hand full of ppl before something worse happens. These are just my thoughts and no one has to comment (it is a travel site), I'm just an outsider looking in, who is very angry with what is happening.
  • don't be afraid Tunisia is really a good country I bet u'll like it
    contact me for more information oussisolo@gmail.com
  • Thank you orssisolo! I'm not afriad to be going. I'm looking forward to everybit of my stay there. It will be my first trip by myself and I have a lot of peace and excitement. Those who know me are the once who are afriad but they don't know and listen to what the news has to say.

I also learned that the curfew was only a short one and that it should be over by now. If you can, can you answer some of my questions, this would be great and help in a big way.

Thank you again and take care
  • Hi there - I have copied and pasted your post and will attempt to answer all your questions

I am very, very excited for my trip to Tunisia. I will be coming by myself and I am female. I am going for 5 weeks starting Sept 27. I am coming from Canada. I will have the opp to experience all of Tunisia, the culture, food and history. I am visiting many cities around Tunis before heading to Gafsa, where I will be for the remaining 3 weeks.

ok - so if you know about bezness then you will know that we also call them love rats and Gafsa is notorious for 'rat' infestation

My questions.

1. I will be there for Eid - What should I expect and what will be expected of me? Nothing - ask questions and enjoy the atmosphere

2. I understand that it's better to exchange money when I arrive to Tunisia. Do they except Canadian currency or is it better to exchange it for U.S. money first? Would I be able to take DN out of the country as a keep sake for my kids? - you can't exchange TD outside Tunisia so bring USD for exchange here. You could take a couple of Dinar home with you but it's useless outside of this country

3. do you have a link in english for the different transportation's that I can take. I plan to rent a car but if it's cheaper and just as fast to get from one city to the next, that may be a better alternative. - DO NOT DRIVE, we are maniacs on the road and we have only two speeds, fast and stop so forget that. Taxis are very cheap and a great way to get around. I advise not to use the trains as they can be dangerous but the buses and louages (shared taxis 9 seaters) are cheap and will get you around everywhere

4. I have a male friend who will be helping me well I'm there. I am not coming to look for any relationship but as we will be spending majority of the time together, along with his family, what should I expect and what is the norm. I do not believe in sex before marriage so this won't be happening (I also know that it's against the law there anyway) but what should I do if he wants to help hands, sit close to me ex.. - if he is a 'good' one and his family are traditional then he won't even try to touch you and it won't happen outside in the street, it is not acceptable behaviour. And believe me he will be looking for a relationship and a visa.

5. I have another family that I would like to visit well in Tunisia. Yes, a male friend and his family. Would this be rude, unexceptable to visit both families at the same time or even hang out with the two of them together? (I also know about Bizeness and they both know that I'm not coming for any relationship or visa) A young woman hanging out with two Tunisian boys, especially a foreign girl, well my dear, you would be considered easy etc and many assumptions would be made. Don't be fooled by the veneer of liberalism here - that's not how it works.

6. As I'm coming for this trip and my friend is going to show me around, would it be rude to ask him if he can pay for part of the expenses of the car rental/gas, food (that is if he can afford it). In Tunis, I will be renting a house or I will be in a hotel well he stays with friends. I haven't worked the details out at this time for my accomadation's. If you were visiting friends in your country would you ask them to help with the expenses???? If he has a job (unlikely) then is he taking time off to show you around? Holiday pay is not known in our country unless you are a professional.

6. I am a Christian and understand that there is persecution happening in Tunisia against the Christians (I may be misinformed?). I wear a cross on my finger, should I take it off and not wear it there? I would like to read my bible and listen to christian music as this is my strength through the days, will it be looked down upon? The family I will be with are Islamic but know that I'm a Christian.
    - we accept all religions and cultures............there are many Christians living here so you can wear what you like but please cover up your bits. THERE IS NO PERSECUTION.....THIS IS A RIDICULOUS STATEMENT. Why would you want to listen to Christian music etc - we are an Islamic culture, our music is absolutely wonderful and you should perhaps open your eyes and ears to learn something about Islam while you are here.

6. I plan to do a lot of site seeing. How long would it take to tour around Tunis and then the surrounding cities. I'm giving myself 2 weeks and then a week to head south to Gasfa because I want to stop at the different cities along the way. Is this time frame not enough time or am I giving myself to much time? Probably not enough time but you may get to see the major sites.

7. What is the average cost to get into the museums? To take a camel ride and the cost to take the Star Wars Tour? I've looked on line but can't find the cost for these events. -why don't you get your friend to organise for you?? You will get tourist prices and he will get Tunisian prices. Even so, for you as a foreigner it won't be expensive.

8. Ok, dumb question but have to ask..I know to dress modoret but I really want to swim in the sea. Is a one piece bathing suit good enough or will this cause problems? what is the best thing to wear at the beach? I do wear a bathing skirt over top. Will the water be warm still in October? I understand that the nights in October get cold. Swimsuit is fine but depends on the beach you go to as to who will be watching. The med should still be warm but it depends where you are as to the temperatures. I live in the south and the October nights are still hot for us.

9. What can I be expecting to spend on a daily average? I'm on a tight budget but still want a good holiday. How long is a piece of string. Tunisia is cheap and the food is great and very cheap. If you allow yourself say TD30 per day that should be fine.

10. Do you know what sort of water bottle with filter, I can buy to make the water clean for me to drink? Instead of having to buy bottled water. - It is better to buy the bottled water, it costs around 500 millimes for 1 litre now I don't know what that is in Canadien but in British Pounds then it is around 15p

I think that this is all my questions. Thank you for answering each and everyone as I know it will be time consuming. I am learning all that I can (even french, I don't know anybody who speaks arabic) so not to go blind as this is my first international trip. - I really hope that you enjoy your holiday, but you sound very naive to me..........Please be aware that visiting a male friend in Tunisia sends a signal to that man...........you are a target my dear so you had better be very very careful.

Take Care and Thank you again
  • don't worry we don't have any problems from any religion you shouldn't believe the media , and don't forget it's still Tunisia as it is before you can do whatever you want to do but you have to respect the other like in your country that's all , ok 'milk' so u welcome in Tunisia and enjoy your trip :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged